Old 29 January 2013, 08:40   #11

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
without wanting to sound negative, would suggest you check with BA as to what flights they have avaliable to use those flights on.

We get the companion vouchers through our amex cards (usually 2 per year) and its always a struggle to find flights to use them on. Generally flights to and from US are ok if looking for world traveller but elsewhere or in any of the premium cabins, avalibility is very restricted.

Trying to use them for some flights to Sydney and seats are rare as hens teeth!

Old 29 January 2013, 10:12   #12

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
[QUOTE=ncp;513469]

Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us)

/QUOTE]

Being safe is a comparative measure. Have you heard about the guy who starting sleeping on the floor after he heard that most people died in bed!

I used to go paragliding, I always thought that the car trip there and back was far more dangerous than the actual flying.

The media will NEVER have a headline 10,000 Americans have a holiday in Egypt all survive uninjured.

Being a diver is surely more risky than any problems caused by civil unrest.

I was in Egypt in March 2011 (just after the Arab spring) tour buses had armed guards (pistols and bigger things), armoured mobile guns all over the place, felt perfectly safe and never saw any problems.

Choose the place you want to go based on what's there for you and not what you think could happen.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 29 January 2013, 10:30   #13
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I was in Egypt in March 2011 (just after the Arab spring) tour buses had armed guards (pistols and bigger things), armoured mobile guns all over the place, felt perfectly safe and never saw any problems.
Just packing your bags for Syria then?
Old 29 January 2013, 12:41   #14

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
i was in sharm a couple of years ago ,it cannot be classed as egypt no visa neccessary (though you might for the national park) we went to a bedouin evening and were well guarded i asked why did everyone have machine guns and was told `bandits want to sell you to al queda` wot ffs ..some seriously gorgeous fish there go before the russians destroy it. most resorts are gated with armed security with dive clubs on the beach. but would have to say bude is a great place to visit in the uk
Old 29 January 2013, 13:39   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
but would have to say Bude is a great place to visit in the uk
It is, with some great diving on the doorstep with the back up of Plymouth only an hour away.

Weather can be tricky, but if you're happy to surf if there is no diving or hill walk (Dartmoor) if the sea is just horrid than it can be great

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 14:29   #16

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
bude is located in cornwall about a 5 hour drive from london,i`m sure treerat could sort out some diving and surfing ,tintagel and newquay would be a must too. most brits stay away from london as a holiday destination ,weymouth ,isle of wight,woolacombe ,bude and newquay are very notable destinations on the s coast ,i have seen lots of german and dutch tourists visiting due to the exchange rate... wales is very picturesque too anglessey is about a 4 hour drive away some good surfing too, if it was night life you were after a visit to liverpool could be added to your welsh trip fairly easily or you could head a bit further north and take in `the lake district` scenery is simply breathtaking..any journey north could be broken up with a visit to birmingham which is very nice around the canal district. don`t believe all you hear about the u.k ,good food and cold beer are fairly easy to find however a dry day is like rocking horse sh...oh and the locals ,can be friendly too even to a yank
Old 29 January 2013, 15:38   #17
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
without wanting to sound negative, would suggest you check with BA as to what flights they have avaliable to use those flights on.

We get the companion vouchers through our amex cards (usually 2 per year) and its always a struggle to find flights to use them on. Generally flights to and from US are ok if looking for world traveller but elsewhere or in any of the premium cabins, avalibility is very restricted.

Trying to use them for some flights to Sydney and seats are rare as hens teeth!
You are correct.

I've done some research (need to do a bit more and get on the phone with them). USA--> is the bottleneck with redemption. I can get business to London and economy on the way home. I was really hoping to be able to get them for a free 1st Class ticket but there are only one or two available....next Nov/Dec!

So, instead of the goal being 2 for 1 2st class, it might be 2 for 1 business or economy and travel further to get the most out of this!