Old 25 October 2013, 16:19   #221

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
have a look at a reconstruction of the tracks of the two vessels. I can see his point about expecting the ship to turn - it was right down on the southern end of the restricted area and would have to turn to starboard to come up to Fawley. Unfortunately we've only got the tracks of the two vessels and not all the other traffic.
OMG I haven't seen this track before!!
In my opinion this makes it look even worse for his defence. If the vessel had turned to starboard he would still have been within the Ships forward exclusion zone . You can see the track of the pilot vessel obviously telling him to get the £%#* out of the way !!
What a prat!!!!
Old 25 October 2013, 16:46   #222

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
It looks like If the wafi would have kept his original course, nothing would have happened.

Anybody know why the tanker was choosing to sail so south in the lane, or is it normal routing, maybe other traffic?
Old 25 October 2013, 17:28   #223

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
It looks like If the wafi would have kept his original course, nothing would have happened.

Anybody know why the tanker was choosing to sail so south in the lane, or is it normal routing, maybe other traffic?
I think there was a incident earlier that made him come over that far
Old 25 October 2013, 17:39   #224
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
From a professional position I believe the case result is correct on the three charges, He has been heavily fined but has to pay prosecution costs circa £100,000 which seems extreme?
Old 25 October 2013, 18:05   #225

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Evinrude 150
From what the press seem to be saying, he is not paying the costs - being met by the Armed Forces Legal Aid Authority, is it possible the Tax payer is footing the bill?

Is it actually possible he would not have got Legal Aid if his plea had been guilty? So he proceeded to spend £100k of tax payer money on the very long shot that he just might get off on a technicality?

Someone tell me I've got the wrong
Old 26 October 2013, 07:14   #226

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into The Blue View Post
From what the press seem to be saying, he is not paying the costs - being met by the Armed Forces Legal Aid Authority, is it possible the Tax payer is footing the bill? Is it actually possible he would not have got Legal Aid if his plea had been guilty? So he proceeded to spend £100k of tax payer money on the very long shot that he just might get off on a technicality? Someone tell me I've got the wrong
Just typical of our system if true.
Old 26 October 2013, 08:05   #227

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If indeed he's not liable for his costs, then he'd nowt to lose by pleading not guilty:facepalm
What about credibility, honesty, integrity?
If you make a mistake no matter how big surely better to say so?
Old 26 October 2013, 08:12   #228
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Maybe he's in training for a job in the banking sector?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 08:14   #229

Politician
Old 26 October 2013, 08:27   #230

Length: 3m +
Would his yacht insurance not potentially cover those costs? Not sure why the rib.net jury have concluded that the MOD legal aid scheme (which only applies for civilian courts if no other legal aid scheme applies) was involved... ...unless he was actually racing on Navy time as part of a Navy Jolly with some Navy Mates...

Whoever did the reconstruction should be given a slap... the MPZ should have been marked on the map.

As for why the ship was so far over in the zone - the ship was where he wanted to be and was allowed to be.

Now where's the prosecution for the motor boat who sounds like he was also in the MPZ when he had engine failure?
Old 26 October 2013, 08:36   #231
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Don't you imagine that the conversation between the sailor and his lawyer went something like this:

Sailor: I am in real trouble about this. What do you advise?
Lawyer: Well I would plead not guilty if I were you.
S: Why, I am as guilty as hell?
L: Well not guilty doesn't mean you didn't do it, it merely says to the prosecution "Prove it". And it will be a very complicated case with all those colregs etc. so you stand a good chance of being found not guilty/proven.
S: Well what about the costs then?
L: Don't worry about the costs-we'll get Armed Forces Legal to pay any costs, IF, IF, you are found guilty. Even if you, do you will only get a little fine. Same as if you plead guilty. No brainer really.

Just supposing really.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 08:36   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Better not to have a legal conviction for job applications etc... ...in reality this isn't much different to causing an accident by jumping a red light. Minor injuries etc. You may get charged with Dangerous Driving etc which I think most job applications would expect to be declared or you may get charged with jumping the lights which most wouldn't expect I don't think (although maybe thats only if you take a fixed penalty).

Its fine to hold your hands up and say you got it wrong. He may have been better to do that and say 'Yes your honour, I did enter the MPZ, I did inhibit the ship in its passage, but I was keeping a proper lookout - I did know the ship was there and we thought we were on a safe course." and then to explain that the ship was turning caused confusion as a mitigating circumstances. I'm think the fine should have been reduced if he did that.
Old 26 October 2013, 08:47   #233

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i got told that if you get leagl aid for anything, it isnt exactly free, as if you own your own home they can put a charge on it so as to recoup the money at some later date such as when the house gets sold following death etc. does anyone know if thats true, and if so, would that be the case with the legal aid offered by the mod?
Old 26 October 2013, 12:49   #234

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Well Mud sticks .. if nothing else he'll be remembered for his actions, whilst being a professional sailor above all, I suppose. Regardless of his ignorance/arrogance If this is what our naval colleges or services are putting out, between him and his colleagues who manage to run a multi million pound nuke sub aground in the shallows .. gawd help us
Old 26 October 2013, 21:47   #235

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Are the costs he is liable for not those of the prosecution? In addition to his (which may or may not be paid by the legal aid).

Given that it is a MOVING exclusion zone maybe the motorboat wasn't in it when he broke down?

SDG
Old 27 October 2013, 06:47   #236

He won't get legal aid, he earns too much and has assets.
Old 27 October 2013, 08:27   #237

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Evinrude 150
I've been corrected on the Armed Forces Legal Aid - he may well have got Legal Aid from them but they will have warned him that if he got found guilty they will come after the money.
Unless he declares himself bankrupt the tax payer should be ok.
Old 27 October 2013, 17:23   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
S: Why, I am as guilty as hell?
L: Well not guilty doesn't mean you didn't do it, it merely says to the prosecution "Prove it". And it will be a very complicated case with all those colregs etc. so you stand a good chance of being found not guilty/proven.
If you ever get yourself in a corner try and avoid that conversation with your lawyer. The aren't allowed to defend you if they KNOW you are guilty. Now if your conversation was:
"I don't think it was ALL my fault the big ship tooted to say he was going round the corner then didn't turn and ploughed straight into me." the lawyer may have said "OK we might have a case to argue and with a bit of luck you'll get a judge who knows nothing about boats and we can get them confused with all the rules and stuff about you only being able to sail with the wind etc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i got told that if you get leagl aid for anything, it isnt exactly free, as if you own your own home they can put a charge on it so as to recoup the money at some later date
I gather that's if you want legal aid to pursue or maybe defend a civil case. This was a crown vs defendant job so I don't think it applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER View Post
Are the costs he is liable for not those of the prosecution? In addition to his (which may or may not be paid by the legal aid).
Yes the £100k costs are the costs associated with taking it to court, those costs would have been avoidable if he'd pled guilty. But I don't think he's liable, I think his defence is. Otherwise one day if you or I was wrongly accused of something and were in court defending ourselves we might wimp out of defence because we are worried about the cost if we lost.

Quote:
Given that it is a MOVING exclusion zone maybe the motorboat wasn't in it when he broke down?
Possibly. The wording in the bye-law is: "The master of a small vessel shall ensure that the vessel does not enter a Moving Prohibited Zone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
He won't get legal aid, he earns too much and has assets.
Does he? He's no longer paid by the Navy?
Old 27 October 2013, 17:46   #239

If he's longer being paid by the navy then they ain't going to give him legal aid are they, if he's got a house and car he won't get it, it's hard to get legal aid