Old 08 August 2011, 15:03   #51

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Hi guys
Right, trying to upload a few pictures of other near misses we have recently encountered but am having a hard time as I'm currently on holiday in the western most tip of Brittany ( with 'Gwenn Ha Gwer' ) and am trying to do it by using my iPhone....
Has anyone managed to attach pictures when replying using an iPhone?... Every time I open the 'manage attachments' page the links to choose a picture on my computer are not active and so I cannot progress any further.....

I have two pictures which show what we have to deal with on a regular basis but am buggered if I can get them to upload..... These pesky computers, they'll never catch on!....

Simon

Old 08 August 2011, 16:05   #52

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
There are some interesting replies/comment on Southampton Echo pages after the article
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9182...at_Cowes_Week/
Brimming with sympathy

Looking at the vid again, I'm surprised the yacht didn't get cut in half, but it almost looks like he was picked up by the bow wave from the bulbous bow which must be well submerged, as the yacht appears to start moving to the left of shot before the tanker actually hit it?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2011, 16:14   #53

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
People had gathered to see the first races of Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight, when a large vessel was seen heading towards a number of small yachts taking part.

Quote from paper. Oh dear, poor girl from work won a trip on the AAM yachts tomorrow!
Old 08 August 2011, 16:48   #54

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Hi guys
Right, trying to upload a few pictures of other near misses we have recently encountered but am having a hard time as I'm currently on holiday in the western most tip of Brittany ( with 'Gwenn Ha Gwer' ) and am trying to do it by using my iPhone....
Has anyone managed to attach pictures when replying using an iPhone?... Every time I open the 'manage attachments' page the links to choose a picture on my computer are not active and so I cannot progress any further.....

I have two pictures which show what we have to deal with on a regular basis but am buggered if I can get them to upload..... These pesky computers, they'll never catch on!....

Simon
Hi - I usually upload to photo bucket then paste the URL link from there into the thread. Never uploaded direct.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2011, 17:16   #55
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler
Safari on the iPhone doesn't support file uploads.

If you can access the app store though you can download the free RIBnet app which works well.
Old 08 August 2011, 18:53   #56

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Brimming with sympathy

Looking at the vid again, I'm surprised the yacht didn't get cut in half, but it almost looks like he was picked up by the bow wave from the bulbous bow which must be well submerged, as the yacht appears to start moving to the left of shot before the tanker actually hit it?
Looked at the tanker today when passing - she is now unladen and the bulbous bow is actually quite small and stumpy - a 'normal' type and I think it may have been a different story!

Total madness out there today, MOBs, groundings, etc. Trying to work was almost impossible given that day shapes and sound signals clearly don't apply to racing boats/wafis!

SDG
Old 09 August 2011, 11:37   #57

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
They also seemed lucky with the sail on the anchor, had a rigging wire caught would it have broken? or seen them get dragged, broaching, I did wonder if it was a chartered boat not an owned boat, however, comment for owned boats appears just as "bracing"

Shame, there are a lot of very competent yachties out there.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2011, 12:19   #58

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
They also seemed lucky with the sail on the anchor, had a rigging wire caught would it have broken? or seen them get dragged, broaching, I did wonder if it was a chartered boat not an owned boat, however, comment for owned boats appears just as "bracing"

Shame, there are a lot of very competent yachties out there.
I think it did get caught and drag the boat back a fair way before breaking...very very lucky all ways round....
Old 18 August 2011, 18:19   #59

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Evening all...

Im reviving this thread mainly because i promised to upload a few shots of other incidents involving our vessels as they operate in and around the Solent....
Well now that i am back at work i have a bit more time to play around and do this..

Here are two shots taken within the last 6 weeks.

The first picture is of a yacht leaving the Hamble and crossing directly in front of a 110000t tanker. In the end she skimmed down the stbd side of the tug (port side as you look at the picture).... 5 blasts were sounded by the tanker (bunch of fives) and several by the tug but the yacht made no effort to alter course or speed up!

The second shot is of a yacht quite merrily sailing down BETWEEN a tanker being assisted as she was swinging around to berth on her stbd side, demonstrating a total lack of common sense but also of knowledge of the 140m exclusion zone around the refinery. The tanker had to be held precariously in a stand-off position until the yacht was clear.

I have a few more shots which i will upload as time permits....

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	61783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	61784  
Old 18 August 2011, 18:39   #60
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Anchorhandler - I'd guess these people are oblivious to the danger they are in (and the rules). I'm interested if you (or your colleagues) make any efforts to identify the vessels, the skippers, or report to the Harbour Authority, CHIRP, etc. If your employers are keen to reduce the risk then an education campaign at the sailing clubs and marinas might be worthwhile - obviously its not their job to "police the seas" but its their reputation which will get ruined when a sailor is "run down" by a tanker.