Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Wireless Broadband Help

Afternoon,

Im fed up with AOL now and want to change. Also want the freedom of a wireless connection so i can sit in the garden in the summer and work rather than being sat in the study!

I have three laptops to consider, my personal one which stays here all the time, my auntie's one which also stays here and my work one which moves between the office and home.

Has to be simple for the auntie to connect as she isnt that hot on computing.

So.... in my non computing mind i need,

decided on a new boradband provider,
choose a wireless modem router
find 2 x PCMCIA cards (work laptop is wireless sorted already)

I know there are some computer people on here so you advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Howard.
Old 08 January 2006, 13:12   #2

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Hi Howard.
I am by no means a computer person...because of that I need something simple to set up and operate.

I am happy with my ntl broadband connection.

It goes into a Belkin wireless router which in turn serves 3 home computers.

Excellent coverage etc etc etc

One of these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/...ory_oid=-24986

It works on my laptop which has a PCMIA card and also my Mac desktop which uses "Airport"...just a high falootin' name for wireless.....In other words it seems pretty flexible.
Old 08 January 2006, 15:10   #3

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
We also have NTL 2mb broadband, its not the cheapest but its been extremely reliable for the last 3 years.

We had trouble with an older version belkin router than Robins which over-heated under load and repeatedly reset itself. Im sure they've got that sorted with the new ones though.
Have a Linksys router at the moment which is working great.

Harry
Old 08 January 2006, 15:25   #4

Town: New Forest
Thanks.

I was with NTL when at Uni and their reputation for customer service was rubbish!!

Assume i would need an NTL phone line?
Old 08 January 2006, 15:39   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
No its cable broadband, seperate to your phone line.
Old 08 January 2006, 16:03   #6

Ah,

Apparently NTL havent ventured this far into the countryside!!

Damm. any more suggestions?
Old 08 January 2006, 16:03   #7

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
Firstly there are 2 different types of Internet, they are called ADSL and DSL (Known as cable). ADSL is recieved via a telephone line, like BT, bulldog, wannadoo and so forth. DSL is received via cable (doesnt come on a BT phone line), from companies like NTL and Telewest. In your area i imagine you can only get Cable from NTL so that limits things on that side a bit.

NTL do have rubbish customer support but if the internet connection works good then it works well. I was with them for a year last year and had no problems. Have switched to bulldog this year, but had a few diffculties with them.

So now youve decided which route to go down, u need to decide what ISP (internet Service Provider) you wish to sign up with.

If you decide to go down the ADSL route, then you will need a BT phone line (i am assuming you allready have one as you have internet at the moment and do not have NTL), there are many many companies out there offering lots of different packages, so you have to ask yourself what do you want from you internet? Do you want to be able to download lots or do you just want to surf the web and check emails.

One company i would throughly reccommend are Newnet http://www.newnet.co.uk who are based in fareham. They have very cheap packages for normal users and have excellent support. Details here on their services: http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home.php . You will be looking at the "home Lite" package or the "Home S" package.

If you want to go down the Cable route then your only option is NTL if you street is cabled (as telewest dont operate in this area), if it isnt then you have to go with the ADSL route.

Now you have chosen you ISP and what service you want to get you need to decide on what equipment you wish to run at your house. You have said that you wish to run Wireless Internet, that is not a problem and is very easy to set up.

So if you have chosen to go down the ADSL route then you will need an ADSL Modem/Wireless router. I always buy Linksys Networking hardware now and they are soo good, and I have never had a fault with them. Also they are very easy to set up.

So for an ADSL Modem/Wireless Router I would suggest the Linksys WAG54G-UK. More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=59951 . That will allow you to use wireless Internet throughout the house (Depending on size) and also will allow you o use wires to computers if you wish.

If you go down the Cable route then you will get a modem supplied by NTL and you have to use this. Then you can get a Wireless Router just like the previous one but a little different to plug into the supplied modem to distribute the internet connection. For this i would again suggest Linksys and would suggest the Linksys WRT54GS-UK More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63763 . I use this piece of kit and it is fantastic, very easy to set up and very easy to manage.

So we now have your internet service provider sorted and your Wireless modem/Router. Now you have said that you need some network cards for 2 of the laptops. One again Linksys is my choice and the following ones would be ideal: WPC54G-UK More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45024 .

There it is and a complete set up from start to finish. One point on wireless internet is that when you come to set up the router you will need to enable security so that other people cant use your internet connection for free. This is very easy on both Linksys products.

If you are unsure of anything i have mentioned or dont userstand it, or would like some more help, feel free to get in contact with me. I will be happy to assist.

Hope this has helped.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2006, 16:08   #8

Thanks Rich,

Loads of info there! Looks like i have to stick with ADSL through BT line as we live in the sticks.

Cheers
Howard.
Old 08 January 2006, 16:10   #9

if u get stuck, then give me a shout and ill see what i can do

Davies Coaching
Old 08 January 2006, 16:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin

Ouch thats expensive!!!

If you are ever looking to but new parts, take a look round the internet look at some reviews and stuff.

Davies Coaching
Old 08 January 2006, 17:10   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
Ouch thats expensive!!!

If you are ever looking to but new parts, take a look round the internet look at some reviews and stuff.
I see it's MIMO - makes a big difference to signal strength - I have found it works much better than the normal types.
Old 08 January 2006, 17:29   #12

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I have just upgraded my AOL Broadband to AOL platinum. Aol will then send you a wireless modem router. So for the first time today I am surfing RIBnet sat in the lounge watching telly, instead of sitting in the backroom all on my lonesome.

It is worth bearing in mind that only the router needs to connect to AOL, I only use internet explorer on my laptop, and do not have AOL installed on it.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2006, 17:36   #13

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I've been told by a couple of tech-heads never to go near AOL. Apparently it can corrupt the PC and it's nearly impossible to remove it should you want to.
Old 08 January 2006, 17:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
It is worth bearing in mind that only the router needs to connect to AOL, I only use internet explorer on my laptop, and do not have AOL installed on it.
Really? that would be cool as i hate he AOL explorer. i also dont want to install AOL on my work Laptop.
Old 08 January 2006, 17:38   #15

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
howard,

I've just got bb and a wireless setup.

For bb go for plusnet. £14.99 a month for a 2mb connection with NO limit on the amount you can download. Most providers like wannadoo have a limit of something stupid like 2Gb a month, which is ridiculous! Plusnet also have a very good reputation for customer service and I have haven't yet had any problems (nor have my mates who have been on it a while).

As for wireless routers etc. I have got a netgear one. They seem to have a good reputation and our one can transmit through two floors up to my bedroom. It doesn't like going diagonally through thick walls though so positioning could be crucial.

You could try using a usb wireless pen as well. easy to setup and they seem to work just as well as a pci card. probably only a good idea if the laptop has usb2.0

One last thing....NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM DIXONS!!!!! that kind of includes currys and probably pc world. I am on a quest to stop people shopping at dixons as they failed to deliver me a tv before xmas and I have yet to get £300 refunded...they are a complete pile of crap
Old 08 January 2006, 17:58   #16

dont touch AOL with a barge pole!!!!!! They are awful

Davies Coaching
Old 08 January 2006, 18:21   #17
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Got 2MB Bt openworld broadband -expensive but reliable.
Use a Net Gear router, my pc has a Buffalo PCI wireless card in the back about £30, can't fault it, although my PC never moves so I don't know how it compares to the Compaq wireless card in my laptop, which picks up signal anywhere in the house.
Alternatively, buy a wireless card for your lap top and drive very slowly around your area and see who hasn't bothered to encrypt their wireless network. £0.00 a month and unlimited downloads
Old 08 January 2006, 19:16   #18

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
It's worth looking at http://www.adslguide.org.uk to get a feel of the different isps.
I'm with eclipse internet based in exeter - they're not the cheapest of the bunch, but are pretty reliable and fast too.

Speedtouch routers are a doddle to setup - I have setup about 12 of these for work now, and each has taken no more than 3 or 4 mins to configure from scratch to a fully working connection to internet. Goto www.dslsource.co.uk for a decent range of ADSL products.

Personally, I don't like the nanny approach to getting online like AOL provides, but despite what it does to the computer when it gets installed, it does seem to get people online relatively easily. I have a user at work who swears by it and he connects to AOL through our network - the bit that annoys me here is that when he's connected to AOL, any sites he visits get piped through from AOL directly as opposed to seeing them through our network. It's very inefficient cos he connects into our office via AOL when he's in the office which means the data has left the premises, gone through AOL somewhere and then come back to the premesis.

Whatever ISP you go with, make sure you check the smallprint on restrictions of service, like a max download limit per month.

-Alex
Old 08 January 2006, 23:03   #19

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Alternatively, buy a wireless card for your lap top and drive very slowly around your area and see who hasn't bothered to encrypt their wireless network. £0.00 a month and unlimited downloads
If you're lucky you may not even have to move from your chair - discreetly ask your neighbours if they use wireless broadband!

Serious point though - make sure you
1. Change the default user names and passwords on the router and write them in the user guide
2. Set up the WEP or WPA encryption system that comes with all of them these days

I use a KCorp Gold wireless router with a card in a PC two rooms with brick walls and a floor away with no problem. Review here doesn't have a modem built-in but your service provider may well throw one in. Not one of the big names, but well-rated.

If you want to use a wireless router pretty well anywhere round the house, try mounting it in the hallway/landing somewhere for max coverage.

Note that for many of the high-speed routers you are recommended to use their related cards due to proprietary add-ins to get the speed boost. They will usually work with third-party cards, but not at the max speed. Lots of them come in value bundles anyway though.

I've heard of a few people having problems with Bulldog and Virgin broadband but the problem is you can never really tell if these are going to be sporadic or on-going problems. For example, you're just as likely to get speed issues if there's lots of people locally on broadband at the same time.

I'm guessing you can probably find sites that show the relative reliability/speed of of the ISPs

One final tip - when you first set up the router, do it using a PC with a network cable so at least you're not guessing if the connection is working.

Good luck

Mike
Old 08 January 2006, 23:31   #20

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If you want to work outside, you may need the extra range of MIMO preN stuff. The Belkin range is DSL. They can be linked to a modem to connect to ADSL but, for the life of me, I can't get it to work and I've tried a few modems. It doesn't appear to do what it says on the tin. Belkin recommend their modem, obviously, but it seems to only be available in Australia! Maybe that tells you something about Belkin. I have NTL Freedom ADSL but I've a feeling they have linked up with Virgin for new customers. It's not too bad a deal...£25 but all telephone calls are free day and night, except high rate no's. and there's no gb limit.