Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Wireless Broadband Help

Afternoon,

Im fed up with AOL now and want to change. Also want the freedom of a wireless connection so i can sit in the garden in the summer and work rather than being sat in the study!

I have three laptops to consider, my personal one which stays here all the time, my auntie's one which also stays here and my work one which moves between the office and home.

Has to be simple for the auntie to connect as she isnt that hot on computing.

So.... in my non computing mind i need,

decided on a new boradband provider,
choose a wireless modem router
find 2 x PCMCIA cards (work laptop is wireless sorted already)

I know there are some computer people on here so you advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Howard.

Old 08 January 2006, 09:12   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
Hi Howard.
I am by no means a computer person...because of that I need something simple to set up and operate.

I am happy with my ntl broadband connection.

It goes into a Belkin wireless router which in turn serves 3 home computers.

Excellent coverage etc etc etc

One of these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/...ory_oid=-24986

It works on my laptop which has a PCMIA card and also my Mac desktop which uses "Airport"...just a high falootin' name for wireless.....In other words it seems pretty flexible.

Old 08 January 2006, 11:10   #3

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
We also have NTL 2mb broadband, its not the cheapest but its been extremely reliable for the last 3 years.

We had trouble with an older version belkin router than Robins which over-heated under load and repeatedly reset itself. Im sure they've got that sorted with the new ones though.
Have a Linksys router at the moment which is working great.

Harry
Old 08 January 2006, 11:25   #4

Town: New Forest
Thanks.

I was with NTL when at Uni and their reputation for customer service was rubbish!!

Assume i would need an NTL phone line?
Old 08 January 2006, 11:39   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
No its cable broadband, seperate to your phone line.
Old 08 January 2006, 12:03   #6

Ah,

Apparently NTL havent ventured this far into the countryside!!

Damm. any more suggestions?
Old 08 January 2006, 12:03   #7

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
Firstly there are 2 different types of Internet, they are called ADSL and DSL (Known as cable). ADSL is recieved via a telephone line, like BT, bulldog, wannadoo and so forth. DSL is received via cable (doesnt come on a BT phone line), from companies like NTL and Telewest. In your area i imagine you can only get Cable from NTL so that limits things on that side a bit.

NTL do have rubbish customer support but if the internet connection works good then it works well. I was with them for a year last year and had no problems. Have switched to bulldog this year, but had a few diffculties with them.

So now youve decided which route to go down, u need to decide what ISP (internet Service Provider) you wish to sign up with.

If you decide to go down the ADSL route, then you will need a BT phone line (i am assuming you allready have one as you have internet at the moment and do not have NTL), there are many many companies out there offering lots of different packages, so you have to ask yourself what do you want from you internet? Do you want to be able to download lots or do you just want to surf the web and check emails.

One company i would throughly reccommend are Newnet http://www.newnet.co.uk who are based in fareham. They have very cheap packages for normal users and have excellent support. Details here on their services: http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home.php . You will be looking at the "home Lite" package or the "Home S" package.

If you want to go down the Cable route then your only option is NTL if you street is cabled (as telewest dont operate in this area), if it isnt then you have to go with the ADSL route.

Now you have chosen you ISP and what service you want to get you need to decide on what equipment you wish to run at your house. You have said that you wish to run Wireless Internet, that is not a problem and is very easy to set up.

So if you have chosen to go down the ADSL route then you will need an ADSL Modem/Wireless router. I always buy Linksys Networking hardware now and they are soo good, and I have never had a fault with them. Also they are very easy to set up.

So for an ADSL Modem/Wireless Router I would suggest the Linksys WAG54G-UK. More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=59951 . That will allow you to use wireless Internet throughout the house (Depending on size) and also will allow you o use wires to computers if you wish.

If you go down the Cable route then you will get a modem supplied by NTL and you have to use this. Then you can get a Wireless Router just like the previous one but a little different to plug into the supplied modem to distribute the internet connection. For this i would again suggest Linksys and would suggest the Linksys WRT54GS-UK More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63763 . I use this piece of kit and it is fantastic, very easy to set up and very easy to manage.

So we now have your internet service provider sorted and your Wireless modem/Router. Now you have said that you need some network cards for 2 of the laptops. One again Linksys is my choice and the following ones would be ideal: WPC54G-UK More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45024 .

There it is and a complete set up from start to finish. One point on wireless internet is that when you come to set up the router you will need to enable security so that other people cant use your internet connection for free. This is very easy on both Linksys products.

If you are unsure of anything i have mentioned or dont userstand it, or would like some more help, feel free to get in contact with me. I will be happy to assist.

Hope this has helped.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2006, 12:08   #8

Thanks Rich,

Loads of info there! Looks like i have to stick with ADSL through BT line as we live in the sticks.

Cheers
Howard.
Old 08 January 2006, 12:10   #9

if u get stuck, then give me a shout and ill see what i can do

Davies Coaching
Old 08 January 2006, 12:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin

Ouch thats expensive!!!

If you are ever looking to but new parts, take a look round the internet look at some reviews and stuff.

Davies Coaching