Old 26 May 2009, 22:31   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Windows 7

Has anyone tried it yet?

I thought Microsoft had gone mad with Vista - now I know they have. They are trying to make it look like a Mac - very pretty but not much functionality.

The avergae user may like it if they know little about computers but I don't think the corporate boys will like it which will prob mean another dead end like Vista was.

With a LOT of fiddling you can eventually get it to work better than Vista but still not as good as XP so what's the point?

DRM is a nightmare - when you click on a folder with lots of small files it takes ages scanning them all each time.

File manager has been mutilated and many of it's features removed or hidden. most of us techies tend to do everything from here.
Old 27 May 2009, 00:45   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Nope. The Discovery 3 of operating systems - too lardy and too unreliable!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2009, 22:06   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I've been receiving very positive feedback about Windows 7 from beta testers and users of the release candidate. I've been holding back until today, but now that the RTM (release to market) version is available to Technet subscribers I've downloaded and installed Windows 7 Premium x64 and first impressions are that it's superb. RTM is supposed to be the code which will be written to DVD and starts its way down the supply chain, hence my wait until now.

It appears to be exactly what's been promised - what Vista should have been. Like Vista, installation is childsplay, all you have to decide on is language. And like Vista, everything is simple to do. But unlike Vista, it appears to recognise all the memory installed, and the processor/memory use is much, much lower. And I could find how to turn that horrible Vista "transparency" feature off within seconds of installing it which was a great releif as that's the bit of Vista they irritates me the most!

Very impressed so far, and will probably be installing it on my much used laptop at some point.

About £180-200 for Ultimate so it's pricey. Very pricey. Makes a Technet subscription look very cheap! Home premium is about £70 so it's better value, although a few features missing (for example I guess there will be no disk imaging on home premium like Vista home premium).

I reckon it'll do the hardware industry a lot of good when it goes on general release late October.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2009, 22:26   #4
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Brothers beta testing it and I've had chance to use it for a couple of hours. Does everything right what vista did wrong from what I can see.
Old 07 August 2009, 23:26   #5

Town: Warminster
Boat name: Narwhal
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 8hp 2stroke
I've been running the various beta releases, and the RC version of Windows 7 for about 6 months now on 3 different computers, and to be honest, its really no different to Vista, there are a few small tweaks, but nothing groundbreaking, XP is still the pinnacle of Microsoft's operating systems, and my personal opinion is that they will never better XP, and slowly other minority operating systems will be adopted by the masses and Windows will be left with some serious competition

I think that if your running 98, its not worth the upgrade, if your running vista, its not worth the upgrade, but if your buying a new computer, you might as well have it !
Old 08 August 2009, 03:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosseriser View Post
I've been running the various beta releases, and the RC version of Windows 7 for about 6 months now on 3 different computers, and to be honest, its really no different to Vista, there are a few small tweaks, but nothing groundbreaking, XP is still the pinnacle of Microsoft's operating systems, and my personal opinion is that they will never better XP, and slowly other minority operating systems will be adopted by the masses and Windows will be left with some serious competition

I think that if your running 98, its not worth the upgrade, if your running vista, its not worth the upgrade, but if your buying a new computer, you might as well have it !
Totally agree - it does nothing better than XP!!!
Old 08 August 2009, 07:29   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
From the little amount of time I had it was nicer to use than Vista and quicker.
Old 10 August 2009, 20:54   #8
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Totally agree - it does nothing better than XP!!!
What a load of bollox - the comment shows you either know nothing about Windows 7, or you're simply Microsoft bashing.
Old 10 August 2009, 20:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
What a load of bollox - the comment shows you either know nothing about Windows 7, or you're simply Microsoft bashing.
I have been running Windows 7 since the beta was first around. If I was just Microsoft bashing why would I still support XP - it's the same company!!!

I work on computers every day - everything from kids machines to big networks. Windows 7 may be ok if you want something pretty for home use - but that's about it.

At least it's better than Vista...........
Old 10 August 2009, 21:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
And why attack me and not the post I was commenting on???
Old 23 October 2009, 21:45   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Stuck windows 7 onto my 2 YO work lapdog last night which was preloaded with vista .. it now boots in 1/3rd of the time and its like a new lappy altogether .. ok.. so some h/w doesnt work like the bluetooth stack but..I can live with that & its a big improvement
Old 24 October 2009, 03:15   #12

Been using ti for about 6 months now on various computers - it is FAR FAR better than Vista - almost as good as XP!!! Seriously if only they were go to carry on supporting XP it would be no contest but as they aren't then with newer hardware you will have to change.

Explorer is a nightmare - incredibly slow to read any folder as it is constantly looking for the DRM on each file but just found a way around that.

How well it will work on large corporate networks will remain to be seen though............
Old 24 October 2009, 09:25   #13
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
I bought it through work/school. It is a lot better and only cost me £30.

If you have kids at school then you are entitled to the student version of Win 7 and Office.
Old 24 October 2009, 10:32   #14

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I have heard very good reports on 7. I skipped Vista as I did not hear much to make me want to upgrade to it, however a lot of the companies and banks I deal with are talking about upgrading to 7 so it must be good !

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote