Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 December 2014, 18:08   #1
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Why is it so difficult to buy anything these days?

Reading on here about members' recent experiences trying to engage with a couple of RIB manufacturers and the effort they've been forced to make in order to cajole, encourage or berate the manufacturers for information in order to move to a position where they're comfortable parting with their cash, makes we wonder just how much better off we all might all be if dealers, manufacturers and suppliers actually did what they promised and returned phone calls and emails?

Without wishing to rant (honest), I've experienced a number of situations in the past few months where, to be frank, if the dealer/supplier/agent had told me to foxtrot oscar instead of promising to provide me with information, genuinely requested as a natural part of the buying process, I could have saved myself countless hours of subsequent effort!

In no particular order, the following have missed out on business over the past 8 weeks just through failing to actually phone me back or email me:

Lexus (Liverpool & Ellesmere Port)
Towerbridge Insurance (existing customer)
NFU Insurance (existing customer)
Nine (yes nine) assorted Contract Hire and Leasing companies (the industry seems to be in a desperate state)
Two trailer manufacturers

The inescapable conclusion is that they either didn't want my business, have some desperate training needs that require addressing or are so bloated with their success they think there's no need to bother following up potential new business because they're so busy.

In all honesty, I've never known it be so difficult to spend money!

The opposite side of the coin of course is that the organisations which responded in a timely and professional way have been the beneficiaries of additional business.

Good luck to them.
__________________

__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2014, 18:18   #2
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Reading on here about members' recent experiences trying to engage with a couple of RIB manufacturers and the effort they've been forced to make in order to cajole, encourage or berate the manufacturers for information in order to move to a position where they're comfortable parting with their cash, makes we wonder just how much better off we all might all be if dealers, manufacturers and suppliers actually did what they promised and returned phone calls and emails?

Without wishing to rant (honest), I've experienced a number of situations in the past few months where, to be frank, if the dealer/supplier/agent had told me to foxtrot oscar instead of promising to provide me with information, genuinely requested as a natural part of the buying process, I could have saved myself countless hours of subsequent effort!

In no particular order, the following have missed out on business over the past 8 weeks just through failing to actually phone me back or email me:

Lexus (Liverpool & Ellesmere Port)
Towerbridge Insurance (existing customer)
NFU Insurance (existing customer)
Nine (yes nine) assorted Contract Hire and Leasing companies (the industry seems to be in a desperate state)
Two trailer manufacturers

The inescapable conclusion is that they either didn't want my business, have some desperate training needs that require addressing or are so bloated with their success they think there's no need to bother following up potential new business because they're so busy.

In all honesty, I've never known it be so difficult to spend money!

The opposite side of the coin of course is that the organisations which responded in a timely and professional way have been the beneficiaries of additional business.

Good luck to them.
I'm experiencing similar issues at this end. Frustrating isn't it?

Chris
__________________

__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2014, 18:18   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
It seems to be that way with everything these days
I have bee trying to get hold of an electrician for 3 weeks they must have more money than me at the mo
I always try and see people in person these days cos no fecker rings back
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2014, 18:19   #4
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 653
RIBase
Can't help but sympathise, some pretty sh1t companies out there when it comes to replying to genuine enquiries. However, be thankful you don't have to deal with local government!!! Let's not go there!

Your post was kind of a rant....... Do you feel better now?
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2014, 18:27   #5
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post

Your post was kind of a rant....... Do you feel better now?
Nah, nowhere near.

I've poured myself a glass of Ardbeg though...
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 02:30   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
that was definitely a rant Tony, but I'd have to agree, maybe it's just that our hard earned dosh ain't good enough!

Mick, I could ask our Andrew for you to dork your wiring, but I fear you'd just spend all day talking defenders
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 02:38   #7
Member
 
tony t's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,284
Why is it so difficult to buy anything these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
that was definitely a rant Tony, but I'd have to agree, maybe it's just that our hard earned dosh ain't good enough!
:

It's an AGE thing we all expect to much when you get older it's called the Victor Meldew syndrome



Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
When you get to the end of your rope..tie a knot and hang on..!!
Aberdovey Ribs
B.I.O.C.Member
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 02:43   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
It's an AGE thing we all expect to much when you get older it's called the Victor Meldew syndrome



Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
you could be right Tony, I've noticed a big difference since I turned 21
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 02:47   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
you could be right Tony, I've noticed a big difference since I turned 21
That's it I'm going to stay at 20 then

Can't even get a window cleaner around here
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 02:54   #10
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Most companies have staff that are so removed from company profits that they hate the owner or organisation so much that they DONT care. It's just more work for them!!

Sole Tradesmen are awful, same every time. They're generally not good with people so have no staff and don't like being told what to do, so work for themselves. Usually have an overinflated ego and self absorbed.

Had so much trouble getting calls back/turning up/quoting etc for a variety of things over the years.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.