Old 14 January 2007, 12:57   #1

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Which Cameras

Help, i want a new camera, but not knowing anything about SLR cameras
could some one steer me in the right direction.
I want some thing that will take photos of the kids wake boarding and not look like they are miles away also my son surfs. I have a budget of £750
that being what our insurance will give us due to BA losing our cases at christmas. our local shop keeps pushing Nikon ?
Old 14 January 2007, 13:32   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Roy, you've started it now! It's like buying RIBS. You don't know what you need until you've got one.

Personally, as a long term Olympus SLR owner, I changed to Canon about a year ago and I don't regret it. I have the 350D but there is a new Canon 400D, which supercedes it, with some extra worthwhile features.

I also bought a Sony R1 which is not an SLR and, in many respects, better for it. I use it the most. The Zeiss lens in just outstanding and the camera has features which I've not seen on any other camera. The lens has a zoom range of 24-120mm in old 35mm terms. However, if you need a long lens or you feel you'd like to explore, say, photographing flowers or insects, you need an SLR.

Remember though, the lens quality is all important. If there is loss in the lens, no amount of megapixels and camera features are going to get the image back. A medium camera with a crackin' lens will give a far better picture than a whizz bang camera with a budget lens.

However, it's like buying RIBS, you don't know what lens you need until you've got one.

There are good lens tests on this site and good camera and lens tests here.

Good luck.
Old 14 January 2007, 13:34   #3

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Roy,

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Technology moves on so fast that it it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the new models, but I would say don't get caught up in the more pixels equals better pictures debate.

My Nikon D70 is now obsolete, yet takes fantastic pictures which I have had enlarged to 30" x 20" with superb results. With your budget I would suggest that you try to get a DSLR with kit lens (17mm - 70mm) & a 70mm - 200mm zoom. This should cover all your requirements well.

Cheers

Ian
Old 14 January 2007, 13:44   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I looked at SLRs and ended up buying a Fuji S9500 which does most things an SLR will except get dust on the sensor, has a cracking lens with manual zoom ring, 9MP resolution and an excellent video mode too. And was a lot cheaper. Very pleased with it and taken some excellent photos. I would rather have this with a 28-300mm lens than mess around with separate lenses like I used to with my old 35mm SLR, it was a pain in the butt.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 14:31   #5

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
I have finally upgraded to a Nikon. I have a D70.

I would suggest you look at a D70s or a D50 with the bundled lens.
Old 14 January 2007, 15:59   #6

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I have a Canon 10D which I love - but on the rib I use a pentax optio waterproof unit that is really good and very cheap - and you do not worry about getting it wet!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 17:04   #7

Town: aberdovey, n wales
Length: no boat
Nikon or Canon

I know a lot of serious photographers who use Nikon cameras but they are very expensive. I would say Canons are probably more user friendly but Nikons may have the professional edge.

I currently have a Compact SLR - a Canon Powershot S2 - the budget would not stretch to a fully fludged SLR but it takes fantastic pictures and is extremely easy to use. It also has a very good video feature at extremely good quality, probably better than my analogue camcorder but only 8 mins to a 1GB SD card.

I will post some pics from my Canon if you want although they might not be up to SLR standard I'd like to think you won't notice the difference.
Old 14 January 2007, 17:48   #8

Make: Ballistic 7.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp E-Tec
Why not consider one of these. cracking kit and waterproof down to 4 or 5 feet as well so you can take pics underwater, give it a thought at least.
http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/pr...&id=uebersicht

cheapest I can find is here
http://www.rankhour.com/details.php?...cbid=9&ccid=62
Old 14 January 2007, 17:48   #9

Town: Aylesbury
I'm a bit of a keen photographer, two members of my close family have 350Ds and I have an FZ30 Lumix Panasonic. The 350D (400D latest model with a higher MP than the 350), as any review, or anyone will tell you, is a wonderful camera. I have found when using them (as recently as yesterday) the low noise levels in low light to be astonishing. However, it is not the 350D I would recommend - it is the FZ30 or FZ50 (The latest model, again 10MP) The FZ50 is a bridge camera which means it is the closest thing in operation and quality to an SLR without the SLR!

For £399 you get a Leica lens which offers an equivalent mega zoom of 430mm and comes with image stabalisation. (You try finding a decent SLR lens with this sort of range and with a stabilisation system that works well - it will cost a fortune - probably 3 times what the FZ30 costs). It also won a Platinum award (the FZ30) at the DIWA Awards. You won't have the problems that SLRs get such as dust on the mirrors from changing lenses as the FZ's does it all in one and as it is not an SLR can record movies - great quality ones too.

Heres the review on the FZ50, It's worth a read if you have made up your mind for going for an SLR as with me, it changed my mind:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ic_dmcfz50.asp
Old 14 January 2007, 17:53   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I wouldn't bother with an SLR - the main advantage of a digi camera is it's sheer ease of use and convenience - start messing around with a bag full of lenses etc and you are back to the good old days of 35mm!!!

Obviously the most important feature of a camera is it's lens and they don't come much more useful than the Leica 12x image stabilised fitted to the panasonic Lumix FZ50. It is an awesome lens - equiv to a 35 to 420mm zoom!!! I don't have the FZ50 yet but I have the earlier model. The image stabilisation works really well letting you handhold down to low speeds - essential with such a huge zoom.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

Seriously I am more into my photography than most - medium and large format as well and yet the Lecia 12x lens still amazes me.

At £350 it is way under your budget!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 17:56   #11

Bloody hell - that is scary - really scary!!! And you even mentioned the same review!!!

A point about the FZ30 though - it does suffer from noise at hgiher ISO ratings - as do many cameras - they often push the chips just so people can say "my camera's got mopre megapixels than yours" cos they don't understand anything else!!! The FZ50 is a lot better apparently but then again you should always keep the ISO down anyway if you want good quality - I used to use 25 and 40 film in my 35mm days!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 18:16   #12

I got there first! still, saved you typing all that!

I'd totally agree with you about the noise though, thats the only thing that really keeps the FZ's from being the ultimate digital camera, but as the review says, its a compromise well worth living with when 95% of the time the image you get is as good as an SLR, and when spec for spec and function for function it costs about a third of the price as a SLR, dragging around all them lenses and then having to record videos seperatly!

Also, the rotating screen is very useful, especially at concerts and at the zoo Still love using the Canons though. There's nothing like the sound they make when you press the shutter - why can't they make normal digital cameras sound like that!
Old 14 January 2007, 18:20   #13

OMG! didn't realise you had actaully left the post! I just clicked back to the previous page and...!!! scary

Must be a good camera! go buy one Roy! and spend the rest you save on your RIB!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 21:13   #14

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

At £350 it is way under your budget!!!
I fancy one of those £330 from this site http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xxsearch.asp?recid=PANCA360 anyone find it cheaper?
Old 14 January 2007, 21:15   #15

That's a good price - been too busy to look lately - will be getting one myself soon.
Old 14 January 2007, 22:04   #16

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
Help, i want a new camera, but not knowing anything about SLR cameras
could some one steer me in the right direction.
I want some thing that will take photos of the kids wake boarding and not look like they are miles away also my son surfs. I have a budget of £750
that being what our insurance will give us due to BA losing our cases at christmas. our local shop keeps pushing Nikon ?
Hi Roy, you never mentioned whether you want Digital or Film. All you mentioned was SLR which is Single Lens Reflex and simply means that you view object through Lens and not separate viewfinder.
As a Canon Agent (copiers) for the last 20 years I can tell you that value for money and features I would opt for Canon ( and I am not biasd, In my opinion all these companies mean well but are full of crap)
However, I would buy it in USA or via Pixmnia.com and not through agents as none of these give any service on Canon Cameras no more that we can.
In truth "If anyone can, Canon can" but no one really can, If you drop it, forget it.
So buy the Canon and Insure it against "all risks" spcifically as an add on to your house Insurance. If you drop it or it gets wet, get a new one legally and feel entitled to it under your "all risks policy" It may cost a hunded pounds but its worth it...
With regard to cameras, I am sure you have a budget and there ae many Canon cameras but here is an up to date:
I would buy two as follows:
New Canon Digital camera http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...t_G7/index.asp

This is the latest in Digital usefulness...
It is not SLR butis very useful as it is not a big unit and comes with nw di 3 processor.
The Canon E350D is a great camera and can be got at a great bargain. It has a high enough resolution but the digic 1 processor is upgraded to digic 3.
The E400D has the Digic 2 which is nearly out of date with the aventof the 3 (which I did not know about until I checked the powershot adress above)
The EOS5d using the 25-105 USM lens is the absolute berries.

Please feel free to e-mail me for the inside track.
Either buy it in USA or Pixmania. Canon have a World wide Guarrantee and they have to honour it regardless of it being bought in Timbuktoo.. They do not like this but are happy to offload the volume units to Pixmania and such companies when it suits them, so tough luck to them. By the way, the Japan people are very honourable and will be delighted to be of absolute service to you, its the GB based "Armani Suites that are the A..holes" that feel they need to prove themseles to the Japan bosses.
So buy Canon but buy it in USA or Pixmnia..

Take it from me, I have loads of them and they all work still, including the video cam unit my brother droppd into the kitchen sink.. full with watr and quix.
PS If you want Film based camers, buy a 2nd hand EOS500F with Built in Pop up flash, and 28-105 USM lens with useul F stop. You will buy one of these very cheap now and they are great.
See this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250070239806
However no lens and only buy i new.

or this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250070239806

Or this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250070239806

I have never bought from E-bay UK ( and what I bought from USA was not very successful but you may be more careful than me.

PS I have one of these EOS 500 but I opt for the smaller Digital ones that I putin my pocket. The SLR machins both DIgital and Film are really for the Fussy Photographer..
Old 15 January 2007, 06:57   #17

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
I have the 400d, no complaints with it, so far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
So buy Canon but buy it in USA or Pixmnia..
I wouldn't touch either for a dSLR.. The Canon 400d, (body only,) is £452 from pixmania, or £437 from cameras2u, (also a V good link to compare prices..) As for buying one from the States, the Rebel Xti, (Canons name for the 400d in the US,) is around £350, excluding delivery and possible import duty.. Not really worth the saving considering the possible hassle..

Steve's has very impartial reviews of all styles of camera's.. If your still thinking of a dSLR, then Fred's is another good place for reviews..

With regard to Ebay, if your buying new, check with the manufacturer to make sure its covered under warranty.. Canon can be funny when it comes to things they regard as "grey imports"..
Old 15 January 2007, 07:23   #18

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere View Post
Ditto

After having my (what I thought was an excellent) compact camera with me yesterday, I realised just how much better the SLR is.

Here are a few pics taken with the 400D - http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/wor..._0565.JPG.html

http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/wor..._0832.JPG.html

http://gallery.ribseadrive.co.uk/oth..._0108.JPG.html

-Alex
Old 15 January 2007, 11:06   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Alex, I like yer misty Milford.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere View Post

I wouldn't touch either for a dSLR.. The Canon 400d, (body only,) is £452 from pixmania, or £437 from cameras2u, (also a V good link to compare prices..) As for buying one from the States, the Rebel Xti, (Canons name for the 400d in the US,) is around £350, excluding delivery and possible import duty.. Not really worth the saving considering the possible hassle..

Steve's has very impartial reviews of all styles of camera's.. If your still thinking of a dSLR, then Fred's is another good place for reviews..

With regard to Ebay, if your buying new, check with the manufacturer to make sure its covered under warranty.. Canon can be funny when it comes to things they regard as "grey imports"..
I used to be a great fan of Steve's but I think his site has lost the way a bit now - just not keeping up with newer models.

A far more professional site is this one

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

What's more it's British.

« Rkj | Top | Ice Cross »