Old 15 September 2008, 10:40   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Where to buy a house in south coast or channel islands?

First...where can i find a good webpage for houses for sale in this area.

Gernsey, sark, jernsey, isle of weight?

Or southcoast of uk. From Dover to Falmouth?

Prices on these different islands/places?

Can i buy a house as a swedish citizen on this places?

We are looking for a house very close to the water. Itīs for my company but i will stay their for longer periods to.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:40   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 5.7m
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: honda 4stroke 50hp
Try this for houses sold in the UK.. try putting in Hampshire for the south coast near the sea

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/
Old 15 September 2008, 12:41   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 5.7m
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: honda 4stroke 50hp
or http://www.watersideproperties.co.uk/
Old 15 September 2008, 13:00   #4

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
There will be no issue for a Swedish national as a member of the EU buying/owning or becoming resident in a property on the UK mainland or IoW.

The Channel Islands are a bit different though. I believe they are not actually part of the EU nor are they, for that matter, part of the United Kingdom. They have a separate designation as Crown Dependencies (I seem to recall). As such, they have their own laws and regulations and may / probably do have different residency rules to the rest of the UK.

There are a number of folks here based on the Channel Islands and I'm sure they have a better understanding.

You clearly should take specific advice about buying / regulations etc in either case!
Old 15 September 2008, 13:02   #5

Thanks, i will be back with questions later....i had to look at some places right now.
Old 15 September 2008, 13:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
There will be no issue for a Swedish national as a member of the EU buying/owning or becoming resident in a property on the UK mainland or IoW.

The Channel Islands are a bit different though. I believe they are not actually part of the EU nor are they, for that matter, part of the United Kingdom. They have a separate designation as Crown Dependencies (I seem to recall). As such, they have their own laws and regulations and may / probably do have different residency rules to the rest of the UK.

There are a number of folks here based on the Channel Islands and I'm sure they have a better understanding.

You clearly should take specific advice about buying / regulations etc in either case!

IoW, or mainland... I will start with this area.

Where is best to live on mainland? Close to the water...Not to far from Southampton? any ideas...?
Old 15 September 2008, 13:55   #7

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson View Post
IoW, or mainland... I will start with this area.

Where is best to live on mainland? Close to the water...Not to far from Southampton? any ideas...?
Well, for my money I'd look on the East side towards the New Forest (e.g. Christchurch). Poole area is rather pleasant too but Sandbanks has the reputation for having amongst the most expensive property prices on the planet (and that's not a joke). On the West side perhaps look out towards the Chichester area. But there are (from observation) fantastic places all along the coast. Although we don't have the natural beauty to match some of the scandanavian coastline.

Those are perhaps the more picturesque areas but there has been a lot of development in Southampton and Portsmouth for more urban quayside developments. Your choice!

We might be having a bit of a property (actually mortgage availability) crisis at present but my understanding is that this had barely affected the top end of the market dominated by cash buyers! However, I'm not in that situation myself so no expert!
Old 15 September 2008, 14:01   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What's your budget?

There are a few places in Cowes on the Isle of wight - some with their own moorings.

The Isle of Wight is a lovely place but ferry crossings are expensive for the distance involved and deliveries of anything always cost more. Wouldn't bother me though!!!
Old 15 September 2008, 14:07   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

We might be having a bit of a property (actually mortgage availability) crisis at present but my understanding is that this had barely affected the top end of the market dominated by cash buyers! However, I'm not in that situation myself so no expert!

I've been looking at house prices in the Poole area for a while now and it appears that the mid-range (what was around Ģ200k-Ģ250k) have dropped in price a significant amount.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2008, 15:02   #10

Hi,

Thanks for all information.

I think i will stay at mainland.... And i donīt know my budget, itīs money from when i am selling my small company. Right now itīs not a big house in money in the company. But with everything my budget will be around 200K-250K Ģ or +100K if everything will go well.

I know i canīt get a very big house. I would like to have little garden and i prefer little free space around my house.

I will check poole, christchurch....

On the way to falmouth...is it much cheaper over their?
Old 15 September 2008, 15:15   #11

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Well, for my money I'd look on the East side towards the New Forest (e.g. Christchurch). Poole area is rather pleasant too but Sandbanks has the reputation for having amongst the most expensive property prices on the planet (and that's not a joke). On the West side perhaps look out towards the Chichester area. But there are (from observation) fantastic places all along the coast. Although we don't have the natural beauty to match some of the scandanavian coastline.

Those are perhaps the more picturesque areas but there has been a lot of development in Southampton and Portsmouth for more urban quayside developments. Your choice!

Remind me not to come on a boat with you if you're navigating!

Poole, Christchurch, New Forest (don't forget Lymington) are West of Southampton and Chichester is to the East (not vice versa)
Old 15 September 2008, 15:26   #12

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson View Post
On the way to falmouth...is it much cheaper over their?
Salcombe where I live has high prices like Sandbanks in the Poole area, Cornwall can be tough to get to in the Summer by road, although there are flights to Plymouth and Newquay in the South West which can cut travel times - google maps will definitely be your friend in this search!

Try Marchand Petit for houses in this area - good luck!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2008, 15:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Remind me not to come on a boat with you if you're navigating!

Poole, Christchurch, New Forest (don't forget Lymington) are West of Southampton and Chichester is to the East (not vice versa)
Thanks,

Lymington is nice...Is it their scorpion rib lives? Have been their.
Old 15 September 2008, 15:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Salcombe where I live has high prices like Sandbanks in the Poole area, Cornwall can be tough to get to in the Summer by road, although there are flights to Plymouth and Newquay in the South West which can cut travel times - google maps will definitely be your friend in this search!

Try Marchand Petit for houses in this area - good luck!

I will lock at google earth, now when i know where to look.
Old 15 September 2008, 15:40   #15

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
I agree that Lymington is nice and is also very handy for the Solent (Western end) and Isle of Wight (Yarmouth and Cowes). Acess to the West (Christchurch, Poole, Swanage and beyond to Weymouth) is also handy. You're also quite correct that it is the home of Scorpion Ribs.

Are you intending to keep a boat at the house that you buy (with a view to trailering and launching) or are you looking to keep the boat on a mooring or in a marina? This will have a bearing on the size and type of property you need and may narrow the choices if you are looking for marina facilities nearby.
Old 15 September 2008, 16:02   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I agree that Lymington is nice and is also very handy for the Solent (Western end) and Isle of Wight (Yarmouth and Cowes). Acess to the West (Christchurch, Poole, Swanage and beyond to Weymouth) is also handy. You're also quite correct that it is the home of Scorpion Ribs.

Are you intending to keep a boat at the house that you buy (with a view to trailering and launching) or are you looking to keep the boat on a mooring or in a marina? This will have a bearing on the size and type of property you need and may narrow the choices if you are looking for marina facilities nearby.
Good question!

I think i will have the boat at home.... And i can live outside of the suburban.

Sounds expensive?
Old 15 September 2008, 16:17   #17

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Salcombe where I live has high prices like Sandbanks in the Poole area,
Helford, St.Mawes and Rock are in the same price league . I agree, Cornwall is very difficult to get to.
Old 15 September 2008, 16:20   #18

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
The Island has some reasonably priced property check out Island Harbour the new builds come with their own pontoon.

Codders you are welcome to come to the Island anytime but a blanket statement saying its expensive has just put about half a dozen people off coming over for training cheers mate.

Its not that expensive all things considered and we have an easy pace of life in comparison to those that live on the Noth Island the other places mentioned are all nice but pricey compared to the Isle of Wight IMHO.

If you get chance try and spend a weekend here and explore you will either fall in love or hate it.

Travel to and from is easy via ferries or hovercraft or better still your own boat. Rental potential is also very good as the Island is a popular destination for families if you buy in Cowes you have good rental potential for all the major regattas.
Happy house hunting where ever you decide to go .
Cheers Tim
Old 15 September 2008, 16:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
The Island has some reasonably priced property check out Island Harbour the new builds come with their own pontoon.
Do you have any link or N and W at google earth.

Thank you. I have only been on isle of weight in 24 hours, cowes and a small hotel with many beers.

How much do you pay for the ferry with/without car?
How many NM is it to mainland/southampton?
Old 15 September 2008, 16:32   #20

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
www.island-harbour.co.uk
Cheers Tim