Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 February 2013, 11:07   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
20 years ago I spent 1350 tpf&t on an Astra GTE 2.0i mk2
__________________

__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 11:41   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
20 years ago I spent 1350 tpf&t on an Astra GTE 2.0i mk2
I bet the 206 is nearly as fast ....I always wanted the Nova GTE - endedup with a Ren 19 16v 'chamade' - I thought I was driving a touring car of the day . something like 137bhp....when it worked ....

I'm putting cost in perspective my 1.1 fiesta popular 'plus' ( never did know what the plus meant) cost me 485 quid TPF&T when I was 17 ...20 years ago . So while its still not cheap 1600 isn't that bad ...considering inflation etc etc
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 13:45   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,835
We ran a 206 1.1 from new as 'er car (sorry sold it 2011 )

Good general car but here are bits i can think of. Bear in mind this was a looked after 1 owner 80,000 (IE 8000 a year) car. It was a 2001 Y.

Electric fan failed twice (shaft corroded and fan fell off) so they obviously only last 4-5 years. bypass temp switch or let it tick over for 15-20 mins from cold to hear it run (very noisy if about to fail). Young driver wont notice this and will boil the engine.... Its an 80 part, 2hrs labour if you cant do it yourself (although I could do it in 45 mins now).

Electric window switch wore out (fitted 2nd hand one)

Indicator stalk wore out (fitted 2nd hand one)

Cambelt interval revised by peugeot. Check in google but a lot failed early so anything over 80,000 thats not been done or 10 years DO IT. Its an easy one to do, no special tools required.

Most importantly they have a weak gearbox, shared with the 1.4. We swapped it ourself for a recon one at 65,000 although it didnt fail it was very noisey and full of metal residue (like I was changine oil once a month and it was still overwhelming the magnet).

There were other bits like CV joints and a cat. Overall although I felt it became an expensive car maintainance wise (bearing in mind the milleage and it was service at peugeot for 5 years and anually by me after that) it was good MPG and never really let us down totally...

(edit: just remembered a coil pack (expensive) but that did illuminate the check engine light so would be obvious when buying. that may have poisened the cat althoguh we didnt drive it more than a few miles before replacing...)
__________________
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 14:14   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
We ran a 206 1.1 from new as 'er car (sorry sold it 2011 )

Good general car but here are bits i can think of. Bear in mind this was a looked after 1 owner 80,000 (IE 8000 a year) car. It was a 2001 Y.

Electric fan failed twice (shaft corroded and fan fell off) so they obviously only last 4-5 years. bypass temp switch or let it tick over for 15-20 mins from cold to hear it run (very noisy if about to fail). Young driver wont notice this and will boil the engine.... Its an 80 part, 2hrs labour if you cant do it yourself (although I could do it in 45 mins now).

Electric window switch wore out (fitted 2nd hand one)

Indicator stalk wore out (fitted 2nd hand one)

Cambelt interval revised by peugeot. Check in google but a lot failed early so anything over 80,000 thats not been done or 10 years DO IT. Its an easy one to do, no special tools required.

Most importantly they have a weak gearbox, shared with the 1.4. We swapped it ourself for a recon one at 65,000 although it didnt fail it was very noisey and full of metal residue (like I was changine oil once a month and it was still overwhelming the magnet).

There were other bits like CV joints and a cat. Overall although I felt it became an expensive car maintainance wise (bearing in mind the milleage and it was service at peugeot for 5 years and anually by me after that) it was good MPG and never really let us down totally...

(edit: just remembered a coil pack (expensive) but that did illuminate the check engine light so would be obvious when buying. that may have poisened the cat althoguh we didnt drive it more than a few miles before replacing...)
Thanks Daniel , all good stuff to know about. Its had the rad has been changed so I made sure the fan kicked in & out ( which it does) and being the 'S' has a real temp gauge and red warning light if it gets too hot. The switches I think are always a weak point of small cars.

Cam belt I plan to get done or do in next 12 months ( if its not been crashed by then) as its on 49000 miles now with an april 04 registration.

Interesting about the gearbox..it is a little 'vague' , but then I haven't driven a small manual car for years..but reckon it can't be that hard if it goes bang to swap out for a used one?

The other bits as you say Ithink are just a sign of age ...hopefully if I can get it to last a few years I'll be happy . Pics attached ....I love the silver dials ( in daylight...)

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130203_152114.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	76312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130203_173058.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	76313  
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 15:01   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,835
Sorry I misread i didnt realise you'd found one my points were supposed to be to help when buying. Suppose they are helpful anyway didnt mean to frighten you
__________________
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 16:28   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
20 years ago I spent 1350 tpf&t on an Astra GTE 2.0i mk2
Christ, it was cheaper for me to insure an 850cc bike!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 16:34   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
Probably but I did get loads of nookie on the back seat, them were the days!!!
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 17:42   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Probably but I did get loads of nookie on the back seat, them were the days!!!
Remind me to tell you about the 5 ladies and that 850 Suzuki under the dustsheet in my garage sometime
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 17:43   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
I'm on my way over
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2013, 12:51   #20
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek65 View Post
Congratulation for her...
You can find qiute easily by searching on internet. My friend told me about a site named motors.co.uk where you can try for this car.
Come on who are you?? you don't happen to own an orange souped up SR4 but any chance
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.