Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
If you really want to feel proud, go and visit Arromanche on the north west coast of France.
For those that are not aware, Arromanche is where the allied forces built the artificial harbour using the aformentioned mulberry's. It truely is amazing .

The museum on the beach front has a fantastic mock-up model of what it was like in the day with fantastic views over the beach and the remaining mulberry's. I highly recomend a visit.

There is also a list of the engineering contractors who worked on building the harbour, many of which are still trading today.

In fact, i would love to take some these mindless teenage idiots that seem to plague our towns these days over to the landing beaches. I'd show them just what sacrifices had to be made so they have the freedom to hang around on streetcorners collecting ASBO's and spraying graffiti everywhere...

If you google my village, you'll see that we have one of the biggest WW2 German cemetary's in France. The remains of 12000+ soldiers are kept there. Its all very discrete but tastefully done.

Simon
There's a couple of Mulberry sections outside Port-en-Bessin, I've dived them a couple of times, still got the AA guns in place, piles of ammunition scattered around, more congers than I've ever seen, spectacular dive. They stand about 25m off the seabed in places, it's like diving a block of flats.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 18:26   #42

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
They don't ( often ) do wrecks today like they used to.......

Shipwreck photograph collection for sale - Telegraph
Old 07 November 2013, 16:30   #43

Pah, Who needs a 4X4 ?

"Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 1920s Dodge Brothers Wild Ride - YouTube
Old 07 November 2013, 17:03   #44

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Obviously a fake as you need a 4x4, winch, big wheels, AT tyres, snorkel, rows of lights and V8 engine to do that sort of stuff.
Old 22 November 2013, 08:07   #45

Wonder how many pages the "Risk Assessment" ran to on this one ?

" If you want the job done right, give it to a woman.

Hard to believe that stunts such as these used to be accomplished frequently. Does anyone recall the air-to-air refueling of one biplane to another using a long hose? Those people had to be either fearless or just “plane crazy”.

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what nerve this woman had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920s. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear wheel.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning prop. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

She died at age 82.click on below............
"

Mid-Air Airplane Repair (1924)
Old 22 November 2013, 12:04   #46

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
" If you want the job done right, give it to a woman.

Hard to believe that stunts such as these used to be accomplished frequently. Does anyone recall the air-to-air refueling of one biplane to another using a long hose? Those people had to be either fearless or just “plane crazy”.

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what nerve this woman had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920s. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear wheel.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning prop. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

She died at age 82.click on below............
"

Mid-Air Airplane Repair (1924)
Now that just shows what nerves of steel actually means, that was an astonishing film clip of that time, Good find
Old 22 November 2013, 12:58   #47

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
somehow i cant see the wife doing that!
Old 17 April 2014, 13:00   #48

More Tower Bridge archives.....

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/01/Er18931215.pdf
Old 17 April 2014, 16:31   #49

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Proper drawings by proper draughtsmen.

I've always wanted a tour of Tower Bridge but never made it...
Old 21 October 2015, 08:27   #50

The Severn Tunnel

Quite a long video ( 20 minutes ) and the first five minutes are a bit dry , but if you like them big old Cornish Steam Engines and some very early diving without air lines , then worth a watch .

As a young lad I can remember travelling by steam train through the tunnel about the time this documentary was made ( 1959 ) NOT the 1870s when the tunnel was started . I wondered why passengers began to close all the windows before we arrived at the tunnel ? I soon found out as the strong smell of smoke filled the carriages and started my young eyes to stream with tears........

Old 21 October 2015, 09:31   #51

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
MMSI: 235101591
When accountants supported Engineers and before it became the other way about.

The 'holding your breath as you go through a tunnel' game might have been a challenge.