Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Thankyou Judge, Jury and Executioner...

Im so glad I dont live in the USA
Not a burgler then are we Roy?!!!

i understand our USA friends views and they have a very different approach to some things than we do in the UK which is absolutely fine by me and i wish them good luck.

I think many of us have a nice little "Surprise" for any would be burglers, and if we dont then we should have a little plan in case confronted with just such an incident. Better to be prepared than a dear in the headlights i say.

Old 17 March 2006, 08:43   #93

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I agree you should clout any intruders a few times - with a big iron bar if necessary - even make sure they remember the incident for the rest of their lives with some permanent damage - but f**k me I dont think anybody has the right to just terminate someone at the drop of a hat. Especially for robbery. How many people on this forum have never stolen anything. - now ask yourself the same question and include any pirated software or music that you have !!!

does that give the producer of such software or music the right to come and shoot you !!!
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 09:04   #94

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
I agree you should clout any intruders a few times - with a big iron bar if necessary - even make sure they remember the incident for the rest of their lives with some permanent damage - but f**k me I dont think anybody has the right to just terminate someone at the drop of a hat. Especially for robbery. How many people on this forum have never stolen anything. - now ask yourself the same question and include any pirated software or music that you have !!!

does that give the producer of such software or music the right to come and shoot you !!!
Quick everyone.....grab your tin hats.....inbound!!
Old 17 March 2006, 09:27   #95

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
....... but f**k me I dont think anybody has the right to just terminate someone at the drop of a hat. Especially for robbery. How many people on this forum have never stolen anything. - now ask yourself the same question and include any pirated software or music that you have !!!

…….. there is a big difference between "Robbery" and "Theft" .The example you quoted is copyright "theft" so your analogy doesn't hold up.

Theft is the taking or the appropriating of property without consent of the rightful owner or other lawful authority and robbery involves violence or the threat of violence and something being stolen.

I say “shoot ‘em all and let God sought it out”… seen on a bumper sticker in Texas
Old 17 March 2006, 09:39   #96

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
You might find that if you hit them over the head with an iron bar that might kill them just as well as a bullet. I think the point Jimmy Beam was trying to make was that it would take a pretty audacious individual to break into another's home. You cannot know that person's intent. What you do know is that this individual whoever they may be has ill will for you, your family and society as well, demonstrated by their total lack of regard for the laws which our societies are based on. I have never had my house broken into. I have a seven year old daughter who sleeps in this home. I think it would be very alarming if in the middle of the night I awoke to someone breaking into my house. I think most if not all people would be frightened by this. No normal person would venture to do such a thing. If someone came up the stairs in my house in the middle of the night I would not ask questions. I would be in fear of my daughter's life and my own and would shoot first and answer questions later. Understand that I hope I will never be confronted with a situation such as that. I own guns...(sigh) I do not own guns to shoot people, It doesn't make my "pants bigger"! When you pick up a loaded firearm you hold the power of life or death in your hands. The question is, what do you value more?
Herein lies the key. My boat is named "War Machine" I am a "gun nut". SCARY!!! However, if you are ever in the western basin of Lake Erie on a nice summer day cruise by the beach at West Harbor... look for a big yellow inflatable, stop on over, we'll be playing some reggae music... give you a beer or a margarita... the girls will be wearing bikinis... and we will both say... shoot me! I think I've died and went to heaven!
Old 17 March 2006, 10:02   #97

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:

I tend to agree. If the Tony Martin case brought about a change in the law, you would get people shooting 'intruders' for scrumping apples, retrieving lost footballs etc.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:13   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
I tend to agree. If the Tony Martin case brought about a change in the law, you would get people shooting 'intruders' for scrumping apples, retrieving lost footballs etc.

Didn't Ted Martin shoot the "intruder" in the back as he was running away?... with an illegally held pump-action shotgun?. I'm all for having the freedom to defend yourself or your loved ones in the event that you are frightened for your/their safety, but I don't think the "Martin Case" could be used as a test for a Law change, based on the above...
Old 17 March 2006, 10:20   #99

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I'm all for having the freedom to defend yourself or your loved ones in the event that you are frightened for your/their safety, but I don't think the "Martin Case" could be used as a test for a Law change, based on the above...
I agree, but at the time that's what many people were clamoring for. Folk were saying he *was* justified in his actions because the little toerags came into his house.

I don't want to live in a country where such summary justice is meated out.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:33   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
......Folk were saying he *was* justified in his actions because the little toerags came into his house...
If they'd been entering his house when he shot them, in my opinion, he would have been justified as he could reasonably have been in fear of his safety. To shoot them when he was no longer in fear.... In that they were leaving and no longer posed a physical threat is another matter.

I'm all for exterminating the feckas who repeatedly intimidate "ordinary, law abiding" folk and get away with it because society is too lilly livered to punish them properly. The two involved were “n’er-do-wells” who were used to thumbing their noses at society and, if society had dealt with them properly before, the situation with Martin would never have arisen….....all IMHO of course.....