Old 10 December 2007, 17:54   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Western digital drives

WARNING!!!

Don't be tempted to buy an external Western Digital network drive. The idiots have introduced a block on the transfer of 35 different file types to stop people file sharing over the net. The trouble is it's NOT just over the net but your own network as well. This means that you won't be able to tranfer music or video files from one computer to another in your own house!!!

I am stunned that a hardware maker has done this - not going to do their sales much good...........
Old 10 December 2007, 18:03   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Cod, is this just on the network drives?
Old 10 December 2007, 18:14   #3

Yes - it's the software they use on their ready boxed network storage drives - called World Edition or something silly. These drives are designed to just plug into your network stand alone you can save everything to it.

Obviously it won't hurt us techies but it is well below the belt for the average home user or small business. These drives are getting quite popular and it's a worrying new trend.
Old 10 December 2007, 18:42   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Nice warning,

I seem to be buying loads of Hard Drives at the moment. I've considered externals but always settled for the internals due to cost etc.

All my drives are for music and films etc and if I'd have gone for one of Western Digitals external offerings I'd be well hacked off.

NR.
Old 10 December 2007, 19:17   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I Just bought an Iomega USB 500gb unit for archiving last week .. I havnt unboxed it yet, whose hardware do they use ?
Old 10 December 2007, 19:24   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Here's a list of the file types if anyone's interested: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

John
Old 10 December 2007, 19:51   #7

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
It does look like WD may have a bit of an issue with this, as people will not buy their drives.

However, I thought that the MioNET service that WD packages with the networked drives (supposed to make it easy to share files over the net) is what stops file sharing (legal or not).

This software is NOT mandatory and samba shares can be used.
How to not use WD software

But, if you bought it for letting you view/share video with WD Anywhere Access, then, yep your screwed.

Tim
Old 10 December 2007, 21:42   #8

I was just about to buy 30 normal drives - will make sure I don't get WD on principal now - how long before they start doing things like this to the firmware??? Teach them a lesson NOW before it's too late!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 20:56   #9

I'm assuming this just refers then to remote stand alone WD units that have an extra bit of code made for using the remote drives..in a box externally and not their bare ide drives for internal installation?
Old 11 December 2007, 21:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I'm assuming this just refers then to remote stand alone WD units that have an extra bit of code made for using the remote drives..in a box externally and not their bare ide drives for internal installation?
Yes that's right. They are fine but WD need to be taught a lesson - one day it could be emmbedded in the firmware!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 21:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Yes that's right. They are fine but WD need to be taught a lesson - one day it could be emmbedded in the firmware!!!
Ah.. I see .. you did say that.. my interpretation of a remote drive initially was one accesed from other than a local pc or network and not a stand alone drive.. All the same .. what the Fook does WD think they are playing at ??? Basically its a DRM issue.. and they've shot themselves in the foot
Old 11 December 2007, 21:41   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Yes I think it is a slight bit of over reaction by cod! The drives (hardware) work and can be used to store the files - but the software that is bundled with the drives won't allow certian file types - presumably because WD are concerned they may be prosecuted for enabling copyright breaches.

It is certainly melodramatic to suggest that they would ever restrict the data you could save on you local WD drive.

In fact if I understand the situation correctly - the user who uploads data to the drive CAN access their own files - it simply stops sharing (on internal or external network) of media files - using the provided software.
Old 11 December 2007, 21:45   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
one day it could be emmbedded in the firmware!!!
Really? does drive f/ware actually "see" files, and file types or is that not applied at the OS level?
Old 11 December 2007, 22:49   #14

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Yes that's right. They are fine but WD need to be taught a lesson - one day it could be embedded in the firmware!!!
Trouble is WD drives are very keenly priced. I'm buying 500 GB WD drives at the moment and the only thing that can beat them on price is the Samsung offerings. Anything else similar is a good few quid more. Its a tough call but going OEM should mean that you get a HD with no idiosyncrasies so I'll be sticking with them for a while.
Old 12 December 2007, 03:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Yes I think it is a slight bit of over reaction by cod! The drives (hardware) work and can be used to store the files - but the software that is bundled with the drives won't allow certian file types - presumably because WD are concerned they may be prosecuted for enabling copyright breaches.

It is certainly melodramatic to suggest that they would ever restrict the data you could save on you local WD drive.

In fact if I understand the situation correctly - the user who uploads data to the drive CAN access their own files - it simply stops sharing (on internal or external network) of media files - using the provided software.
I agree maybe being a bit over dramatic on this but give an inch - thin end of the wedge and all that!!!

Sony and other companies HAVE done things like this in the past and dropped big clangers!!!
Old 12 December 2007, 05:05   #16

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Trouble is WD drives are very keenly priced. I'm buying 500 GB WD drives at the moment and the only thing that can beat them on price is the Samsung offerings. Anything else similar is a good few quid more. Its a tough call but going OEM should mean that you get a HD with no idiosyncrasies so I'll be sticking with them for a while.
I think the Samsung spinpoint may have been a better buy...