Old 16 April 2013, 17:27   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Websites for Mobiles?

I am interested in your views on having a mobile website. With the ever growing use of Mobile browsing, a dedicated mobile website may benefit ?

Although my website is viewable on mobile devices a dedicated mobile version could be a way forward. I am unsure if you would use it.

The benefits may be an a optimised dedicated mobile website. Easy to browse. Quick to use no need to have to zoom into to small font easy to read and easy to contact direct.

Is it a practical solution for the ever growing mobile use.

Any views or knowledge of this market?
Old 16 April 2013, 18:38   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have just looked at your website on my mobile. By pinch zooming all the text is perfectly readable, the picture slide show works, and all the info is available including prices and contact details.

I'm not sure what benefit the website visitor on a mobile would get from a "proper" mobile website. And how much extra sales would you get from a snazzy mobile friendly website? I doubt it would generate enough extra profit to cover the website designers charges.

If it was me I would not bother, stick to twitter and facebook to pull in the mobile phone using clients.
Old 17 April 2013, 19:12   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I have just looked at your website on my mobile. By pinch zooming all the text is perfectly readable, the picture slide show works, and all the info is available including prices and contact details.

I'm not sure what benefit the website visitor on a mobile would get from a "proper" mobile website. And how much extra sales would you get from a snazzy mobile friendly website? I doubt it would generate enough extra profit to cover the website designers charges.

If it was me I would not bother, stick to twitter and facebook to pull in the mobile phone using clients.
Cheers Chris, what are your thought on free development ones?
similar to Zoho Sites : Create Free Websites and http://www.dudamobile.com/
Old 17 April 2013, 20:25   #4

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Not played with any of those. It will no doubt involve a lot of effort to set it all up.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 02:21   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
C2 - nobody uses mobile specific sites unless they are automagically redirected to them - life is too hard with remembering your address nevermind a second one. Any half decent web developer should be able to produce you a "responsive design" which adapts to the available screen - this avoids having to develop and maintain 2 sites.

In terms of actual mobile browsing I generally only do it (1) if I need a very quick answer - say to the fact that there is a RIB charter company in Poole, not the details OR (2) I'm on my way to meet you and I'm lost / late and don't know your phone number / postcode.
Old 18 April 2013, 06:58   #6

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Building a dedicated mobile site is unnecessary

If you have a well written, responsive website that confirms to web standards there will be no issues viewing it on a mobile device.
Old 18 April 2013, 07:02   #7
RIBnet supporter

Thank you all, that answeres the questions as both my sites can be read and found via phones
Old 18 April 2013, 07:11   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I've gone down this route myself, I've got it up and running but not put in much content, have a look at customrib.com, one of the guys on this forum is doing this one and another for my holiday home, I haven't say who's doing it as he's got a lot on at the moment.
If you look at my site you should notice that you can post comments on the page and I have full control over the site like deleting messages, putting in pics and words, still not worked out completely how to use it but it will come