Old 03 August 2012, 06:17   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Web site designer?

Is there a way to identify who designed a given website if this is not shown/displayed on the webpages?

Can you right click and look at source etc? or who loaded site to internet?
Old 03 August 2012, 06:39   #2

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
I have just had a look at the source for your post.

There is nothing in there that says it was designed (or loaded) by anyone specific.

There is a copyright notice.

It is possible to put comments in the source so the website you are interested in may have these. You could always try contacting the website owner to find out the developer.

When I worked in IT development we were required to add comments to source code of who, when and why we were changing the programs.
Old 03 August 2012, 06:44   #3

Length: 7m +
In short the answer is No, however sometimes this might be recorded within the domain name register information but it depends upon what information is supplied by the domain owner.

To find the domain owner (registered owner) do a 'whois lookup', there are various websites where you can do this so you could do a search on google for whois look up or domain register owner.

Or go to Whois.com - Domain Names & Identity for Everyone enter website address without the www and without the extension, click on which extension to add and when it comes up as unavaiable click on the whois link to show details.
Old 03 August 2012, 06:50   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

24sevenmedia | Digital Design Agency did the site.

Not very good from being found in google. 2/10
usability seems good 9/10
image is average 5/10
does have google analytics's so you will have something to work from

Hope this helps and feel free to call me on my mobile if you need more info

Dave
0759 563 8185
Old 03 August 2012, 06:52   #5
RIBnet supporter

Sorry crossed wires, this is not about my websites I know who put these together and have regular contact it is another site I do not own/run but may have some issues with

Following the whois site i can see this
Name servers:
ns67.1and1.co.uk
ns68.1and1.co.uk

Does this mean they manage the site or just accept the site for loading to internet. I am unable to name site presently as I have some copyright issues we are addressing but the web owner told me the site was developed/made by a designer from e bay. If I can find this info I may have another approach for legal team- Present "owner" has been approached and asked to remove offending copyright within a given time or I will follow with action
Old 03 August 2012, 06:52   #6

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Designer Branding

Not it in the code, they never do, they brand it on the page, what you can do is go to NIC.COM - Network Information Center click on who is and type the url, see who owns the site and contact them unless your being covert, there no automatic registration process that logs the designer if thats the sort of thing you mean. Alternatively you could ask me to do the site for you. I work on sites for BT , TimeOut , Honda , Diageo, Panasonic to name a few. I'm freelance and available and very competitively priced. I can recreate anything you see online, anything.
Old 03 August 2012, 06:57   #7

Hi again

did you know it is in their portfolio section?They also have a nasty link ( unless they are your friends and in which case I am very sorry) to SEO Somerset, Search Engine Optimisation Somerset & Website Design & Management Somerset which is strange as they also claim to be SEO people and neither of them have made it google friendly!
Old 03 August 2012, 07:01   #8

Hi

sorry we are obviously posting at the same time. do you have the website address for the one that you have issues with?

feel free to pm if you dont want it out in the forum.
Old 03 August 2012, 07:14   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi again

did you know it is in their portfolio section?They also have a nasty link ( unless they are your friends and in which case I am very sorry) to SEO Somerset, Search Engine Optimisation Somerset & Website Design & Management Somerset which is strange as they also claim to be SEO people and neither of them have made it google friendly!
Cheers This is our PCA website guy we work with also, he also has access to my sites
Old 03 August 2012, 07:17   #10
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Not it in the code, they never do, they brand it on the page, what you can do is go to NIC.COM - Network Information Center click on who is and type the url, see who owns the site and contact them unless your being covert, there no automatic registration process that logs the designer if thats the sort of thing you mean. Alternatively you could ask me to do the site for you. I work on sites for BT , TimeOut , Honda , Diageo, Panasonic to name a few. I'm freelance and available and very competitively priced. I can recreate anything you see online, anything.
Thank you, yes we have this route covered and the site user/owner is obviously taking some time to consider my copyright issues. If I had the designer I would appraoch with solicitor as it appears he/she may have started this process and the end user is now the person I have to address
Old 03 August 2012, 07:38   #11

Length: 7m +
I think its the website owner who is the person you should go after as they are responsible for the content on the site not the designer.

The website owner can then go after the designer to fix the problem or get compensation for problem caused if the designer is at fault for copyright issues.

Legal stuff can be expensive and take time, my advice would be to (and record keep evidence) ask owner to remove content which is in breach of your copyright, give them a reasonable time to respond, if no response try and speak to them. If they are unwilling to address the issue then have your solicitor write to them, if still unwilling then proceed with legal action.

Of course we dont know all the detail so if damage has been done to your business then some more indepth legal action may be requirred.

The point is if it ever goes to court then you would be in a better place if you had made efforts to have it addressed without court action, could show the steps you had taken and could show you gave them the oppourtunity to put it right and had the evidence to back up your points.
Old 03 August 2012, 07:48   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I think its the website owner who is the person you should go after as they are responsible for the content on the site not the designer.

The website owner can then go after the designer to fix the problem or get compensation for problem caused if the designer is at fault for copyright issues.

Legal stuff can be expensive and take time, my advice would be to (and record keep evidence) ask owner to remove content which is in breach of your copyright, give them a reasonable time to respond, if no response try and speak to them. If they are unwilling to address the issue then have your solicitor write to them, if still unwilling then proceed with legal action.

Of course we dont know all the detail so if damage has been done to your business then some more indepth legal action may be requirred.

The point is if it ever goes to court then you would be in a better place if you had made efforts to have it addressed without court action, could show the steps you had taken and could show you gave them the oppourtunity to put it right and had the evidence to back up your points.
Agree with all you said and I have the first stage in place with contact with the company and British Marine Federation legal have been involved, I was just looking at all options. Agree with website owner but he/she had to know the problem /copyright to fix it first as they believed designs were OK. I am just guessing but whover did their designs just snatched it off my sites as this was designed for my company.
Old 03 August 2012, 10:09   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Following the whois site i can see this
Name servers:
ns67.1and1.co.uk
ns68.1and1.co.uk

Does this mean they manage the site or just accept the site for loading to internet.
That means the site is hosted by 1and1. But actually I think 1and1 will be more use than the designer. Here is their procedure for dealing with your issue on sites they host: 1&1 Webhosting FAQ | What should be in the DMCA notice?
Old 22 October 2012, 16:05   #14
RIBnet supporter

Updates

After many months of talking with BMF, RYA and seeking some legal help to challenge the company who took over my logo, It appears today the logo has been changed and website for his company is being uploaded with his changes.

Ironic as I had a solicitor lined up for this week with all my copyright logo papers. I am unsure where the change of heart has come from but it will be welcomed. I will keep an eye as still needs a couple of forum changes to be completed