Old 10 April 2003, 21:25   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Watersking

As I know that some of you folks enjoy watersking, I am after some advice.

The youngest daughter has been given a set of water skis and is rather keen to try them out [when the weather/water warms up a bit].

My problem is that I have never towed a skier before and was wondering if anyone has any tips (apart from the obvious safety concerns – I have got PB2, Advanced and Safety Boat certificates) or knows of any courses available in this art.

I’m also not too sure if my prop is right for sking. It is 11” dia x 15 pitch on a Mariner 60 ELPTO 2-stroke. Do I need more power and less top end or the other way round?

Any info would be most welcome.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2003, 21:41   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Strange section of the forum to post this Ribald, but i spotted it...

I ski from my RIB, as do friends. I'm no expert but at least i have some experience!

I normaly run a 24" stainless prop for cruising, which i can ski from fine, but beginers struggle so i bought a much smaller one - 19" - which gives loads moe pull-up and make learning much easier, so yes more torque is good, but i don't have much of a feel for the range of the 60 you have got - best try it and see really.

The British Water Ski Association (BWSA) have courses in a similar way way to the RYA, but i know nothing more - have thought about getting some sort of course / certificate for myself, so if you fancy it contact me....

Get a book, or a video, that's how i learnt. 'JOBE' (a ski manufacturer) make a good video, i borrowed it from the local chandlers! It's all common sense, safety, slow take-up on the line, agree hand signals before-hand, must be at least two people in boat (this is usualy an insurance clause if you have Ski cover).

Er, one final point - are the ski's a beginners set? If not don't even bother - spnd the £100- £150 and buy a proper beginners set, soooo much easier to get up with a beginners pair of skis!

Feel free to pick my brain if you need more info

Cheers
Daniel
Old 10 April 2003, 22:04   #3

B*gg*r

Cheers Daniel.

JK - any chance you can move this thread to Other Stuff. One day I'll get the hang of things

< whoosh! JK >

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Old 10 April 2003, 22:18   #4

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
we used to ski behind a 4mtr sea-rider with a 40 on it, i never thought it would pull me out of the water but it did!!! We were even wake-boarding behind it. We were running a 15' prop on that which worked out as the best.
Old 11 April 2003, 16:02   #5

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Ribald,

I have been doing the sport for as long as I can remember.

1. Skis: I have a set of skis that they will fit your child. They are proper child beginners skis used about 10/20 times by my son when he was 6. I have them in Greece and since I'm here on hols right now I can pic them up and bring them to the UK on my return. I can lend them to you if you want but I will need them back in 2/3 years as my daughter (now 4) she will be on them in a couple of years. So please let me know if you want them.

2. Engine size/prop: Lastly I use a 5 mtr RIB with 75 bhp Mariner and a 17" standard aluminium prop. The boat was going like a rocket and the skier was coming out without any probs. Even I could ski and EVEN mono ski (and I was then 17 stone!!! now lost weight LOLOL gone down to 14 stone )

So please let me know and will back in the UK on the 23rd/24th.

Cheers
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2003, 21:57   #6

Manos,
Many thanks for your very kind offer of the loan of the skis but there is a small problem - daughter is 20 yeas old (sorry - should have mentioned that before I suppose )

Manos, Ribraff & Daniel,
Thanks for the info on props. The boat's previous owner has just told me that he managed to ski OK with the SS prop that is fitted so I will give that a try and see how I/she gets on.

Daniel,
I have contacted BWSA about their driving courses and will send you details when the info arrives.

Old 12 April 2003, 08:13   #7

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Ribald

you dont need any driving courses

( you will need a decent mirror & a spotter though )

best way for your daughter to get up on skis quickly is to get a lesson at somewhere like thorpe park fairly local to you - she will be skiing within seconds on a bar then she will learn to get up being pulled behind the boat

they also have a cable ski, so once she can get up she can continue to practice on the cable to get more comfortable

if she is sporty type then pick up a book from library , take in the very basics - go & have a go

Best bit of advice for a begginer trying to get up is to learn to keep your arms straight & keep them straight - a golden rule for beginners

Skiing on two skis is a doddle - deep water starts on mono takes more time
Old 12 April 2003, 08:29   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Water Sking

Hi Peter,

Just for info there is a ski run inside Langstone Harbour a stone throw from the ECA Slip Way.

I will be trying to learn myself and have female friend who teaches!!!! more beer tokens!!! plus i have towed before.

There is also a ski school near New Forrest learn on lake and wire tow lines. Reasonable rates aswell.

See you soon.

Regards
Old 14 May 2003, 22:13   #9

Town: ayia napa
Boat name: pantemonium
Make: novamarine
Length: 7m +
Engine: honda 225
Send a message via MSN to marios Send a message via Yahoo to marios
you only have to remember to accelarate on straight line and do not have your while turned while you start...
then tell your dauther to keep her skies parallel with 1/5 about above the water with some deggres forward to help the lift...

tell her not to be in a hurry to stand while you start the pulling.
in the begining when she get s up tell the absolutly straight legs are not good..
keep her knees bend a little...

REMEMBER
never cross infrond of a comming boat while pulling a skier... have in mind that she may fall any time
hope you find this usufull and have fun
and if need any more info contuct me

sorry if bad english ....iam not english speaker
Old 15 May 2003, 06:46   #10

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
We had a lenghty thread on water-skiing some time back, do a search, and you will probably find some useful info.
Old 15 May 2003, 14:43   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I do be thinking there is a water skiing school in Thorpe park,. which do be down in your part of the country. turn left at the M25
Old 15 May 2003, 19:12   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Mr H, you are mostly correct. It's alongside the M3.
Old 17 May 2003, 15:50   #13

Town: London
Make: Yam
Length: 5.5
Engine: Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
Hi there,
Just a question about the waterskiing area in Langstone Harbour.
I launch at Northney and have seen the skiing area and it has notices saying licenced ski drivers only......anyone know what this license is or how to get one as I would like to ski there?

Tim.
Old 18 May 2003, 21:52   #14

Hi Timmo & welcome

I think you have to be a member of the Langston Harbour Watersking Club. There are some details on the Harbour web site http://www.langstoneharbour.org.uk

Old 21 May 2003, 16:17   #15

Town: London
Make: Yam
Length: 5.5
Engine: Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
Thanks for the link Ribald, it contained all the info I need.
Hope to be skiing there soon....thanks again!

Tim.
Old 03 July 2003, 15:44   #16

Town: El Dorado
Make: Liberator tunnel
Length: 17ft
Engine: yamaha 250hp
water skiing

Hi folks, I dont know jack about ribs but I do know about skiing. You need a mirror and an observer, driving is no big deal just dont run em over, circle around the person in the water to bring em the rope,again don't run em over. to the feller who's daughter is trying to learn , tell her to bring both knees up to her chest put both arms around her knees while holding the rope hold the ski tips just out of the water and when the boat pulls dont try to stand up untill you have cleared the water let the boat do the work. its a lot easier if some one is in the water with the beginner to help steady her while getting ready to be pulled. have fun and be safe Stray Cat