Old 28 April 2004, 19:10   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Volvo T5 AWD

Anyone any first hand experience of these? More specifically towing and/or launching with one?

I'm thinking ahead a few months but want to replace three cars with one... a 4x4 (My Rangie), a reasonably quick sports car (My MR2) and an estate car (My 405)... this might just be the ticket. An A6 estate quattro is also on the cards but i think the T5 is quicker.

Old 28 April 2004, 19:59   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
It aint gonna be as good as a Rangie when you need real 4x4 grunt and traction but I'dve thought for your RIB it'd be upto the job. I used to launch and recover 6.5m with V6 Mundano and only got it stuck once

Nice car. I looked for one last year but ended up with S60 which is a darn sight faster than the Trooper it replaced! Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo is the beast to go for on Audi's. 230hp Quattro is v. fast! The other car you might want to consider is the Subaru forester XT (Turbo version.). Tows 1500kg, 0-60 in 8 secs and handles v. well. Also has that bit of ground clearance that can be useful when launching.

If you go for the volvo I can recommend suppliers of pipe, slippers, tartan travel rug and labrador

Alan

Old 29 April 2004, 01:54   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How about a VW Touareg? That looks like it might fit the bill!

John
Old 29 April 2004, 03:18   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
don,t spend a penny unit the new discovery comes out the old one have been
around a long time and can do the lot. the new one is now set at BMW X5 and volvo XC90
standards and is as good as the new range rover seven seats is allso good
i think it hits the street at the end of the summer

the volvo will drop its price like a lead ballon as all volvos do and it a lot of money to loose when you sell on

daniel
Old 29 April 2004, 03:31   #5

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
I've gone for the A4 quattro convertable only the 1.8 T version( getting old). Don't like the big 4x4's but no doubt will need one when stuck. Unlike you, I don't need an estate but like to get sunburnt on my head - and theres more of that each year %4!2@><

here's a joke the tow bar is 750 factory fit. Nice bit of kit - slides up under the bumper when not in use -but for F*** sake 750 !!!!!

Paul
Old 29 April 2004, 03:46   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
Niiiiice
Old 29 April 2004, 04:09   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
my boss just got a x5 he still has his dicovery that i have most weekend
bmw want 890 for the tow bar. landrover fitted it free
Old 29 April 2004, 04:59   #8

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Daniel

I've got the new shape Volvo V70 2.4T (200hp) - I think the T5 has 250hp. And yes, Alan, I'm afraid to admit I do have a tartan travel rug and a labrador!! I have to say it's a massively relaxed tourer and remarkably refined and the 5 pot engine is a real beaut. However, the problem with T5s has always been shedfulls of torque steer, although that may not be such an issue with the 4WD version. As DanielTD5 points out, the other major issue with Volvos is depreciation - mine cost 27,000 three years ago and has a partex value of around 3K, albeit it's got 88,000 miles on it. Thankfully it's a company car Furthermore, Volvo parts and servicing are renowned for being a preposterous rip-off - I regularly get bills of 600 for routine services.

I would go for the Audi A6 if it was my money, although don't think you'll be immune to huge parts and service bills and like all cars of that ilk you'll suffer large depreciation too, although not at quite the rate of a T5. VW Touareg - forget it. Very accomplished car but they've sold about 2 in the UK, everybody hates their looks and it'll be a nightmare to sell on. New Discovery looks nice, although as with every new Land Rover product, I'd give it at least 18mths for them to sort out the inevitable teething problems and even then I'd extend my 3yr warranty cover.

By the way, how on earth does Audi justify 750 for a tow bar and BMW 890 for same? Factory fitted towbar on my Range Rover was just on 500 quid and I know which one I'd trust first.
Old 10 May 2004, 14:46   #9

Town: Reading
Boat name: Top Banana (Own Half with Daniel)
Make: Osprey Viper
Length: 6.0m
Engine: Outboard, Merc Optimax 150 Saltwater
I'd go for the A6 everytime, if you want fast go for the 2.8t, but they do a 4.2l version aswell , if you want faster go for the S6, and really fast RS6 (if you have a spare 50k). Wouldn't dunk that in the sea though! As you know I have an A6 but it's a saloon, it has done 165000 miles now and still going strong, doesn't use oil, or water, has not needed a clutch in the time I've had it (45k miles), it's very comfortable, and all the electrics still work, inc the climate control. Don't by a red one though ;-). Comes with a ***** recommendation and my next one will be an A6 Quattro estate 2.8t.
Old 10 May 2004, 15:03   #10

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
Volvo T5 AWD
Daniel,

I`ve been using both T4 and T5 for a Osprey Viper 6m and both cars worked really well.
The T4 was a little stiffer than the T5 the T5 is offcourse the best choice of them.
I am Swedish so i say go for Volvo before Audi

Quote:
I regularly get bills of 600 for routine services.
Have to say that the service was very expensive in UK, we pay like 200 GBP for a routine service.