Old 01 February 2007, 18:42   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Read this - very in depth by Peter Gutmann.

Also on here.

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.txt

Says it all really - and I have a lot of respect for Peter!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 19:18   #22
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Yep - read both of those before.

So Vista has HD content protection, just like all standalone players will have. All the problems regarding revocation of devices, HDCP compatibility etc exist in the standalone market too, not just Vista. Look at the problems with Sky HD.

If you don't watch HD content then really there's not much to worry about. Yes beta, key word there is beta, graphics drivers were rubbish and unstable, and unfortunately, Nvidias are still pretty poor. But ATI has stable Vista drivers and I’m sure Nvidia will follow shortly. We had exactly the same situation with XP and drivers initially, and it’s taken the graphics card manufactures a long time to refine the drivers and eek out all the extra performance.

I have certainly have issues with DRM - but that’s a wider issue and has very little to do with Vista.

Any other problems you want to share?
Old 01 February 2007, 19:29   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
DRM very little to do with Vista??? I think you will find it's a major part of it!!! It is being sold as integrated entertainment system which people will expect to use with HD stuff.

Those articles that you have "read before" happen to be by some of the most respected people in the business........
Old 01 February 2007, 19:37   #24

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Everyone moaned about XP when it first came out, saying it was too fluffy, yada yada yada.... give it a year, and Vista will be as well liked as XP I reckon - it's progress from Microsoft's part, and it means slight change which people will have to get used to.

I for one will end up with Vista sometime in the next couple of months once Nvidia have themselves sorted

-Alex
Old 01 February 2007, 20:07   #25
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
It is being sold as integrated entertainment system which people will expect to use with HD stuff.
Yeah - and in most cases it will play HD content perfectly well. All the problems will mainly caused by HDCP, which has very little to do with Vista, apart from that fact that it supports it.

Alex's comments are spot on.
Old 11 February 2007, 13:09   #26

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: vista

I talked with a friend who is a techie that works for a outfit called Geek Squad, he told me that they are having to make all kinds of service calls due to vista with new owners of this operating system. It seems to be difficult to understand for some people. I decided to go to the "Dark Side" and bought a Mac. I have no prior experience with one, but it does seem a lot easier to use than windows generally. I switched because I am told by those in the know that it does not have the security issues the windows o/p has. I am expecting a much smoother interface with video,telecom and music/mp3 etc.etc. It seems Apple is leading/driving the market in that arena (Ipod anyhow) and it was a natural fit.