Old 19 December 2007, 16:48   #1

Length: 4m +
Using two routers

I have a Belkin modem/wireless router which is connected to the internet fine, I also have a zoom wireless router which i'm currently not using. What i want to do if possible is to connect the Zoom to the Belkin using a network cable so that i can use the wireless internet from the Zoom. Because the wireless signal from the Belkin is not strong enough to reach the other end of the house.

So the question is, is this possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance.

Old 19 December 2007, 16:50   #2
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Is your broadband through the phone line?

Are the routers Wireless Routers, or ADSL modems? Give me model numbers of both please

Old 19 December 2007, 17:03   #3

A cable comes straight from the phone line into the back of the router which is a Belkin ADSL modem with Wireless G router 54mbps wireless. The other router is a Zoom ADSL X6, on the side of the Zoom box it says ADSL 2/2+modem + Wireless-G router + Switch
Old 19 December 2007, 18:29   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by frothy top View Post
I have a Belkin modem/wireless router which is connected to the internet fine, I also have a zoom wireless router which i'm currently not using. What i want to do if possible is to connect the Zoom to the Belkin using a network cable so that i can use the wireless internet from the Zoom. Because the wireless signal from the Belkin is not strong enough to reach the other end of the house.

So the question is, is this possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance.
No.. you can only have one connected to the internet.(on a single line) Keep it as the main connection and hard wire the others (as switches ) into it.. trust me... thats the simple answer
Old 20 December 2007, 01:07   #5

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
So thats a yes?

As the zoom would just act as a wireless switch.

Tim
Old 20 December 2007, 02:11   #6

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I've tried to use a router as a switch - and while it should work in theory, I had trouble configuring it, It would connect to the internet, but wouldn't see other computers on the network (ie problems print sharing)- it was far easier and a better use of my time just to buy a switch.

Can you move the modem? also worthwhile checking the modem power settings - they might be on a low default setting.
Old 20 December 2007, 02:52   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Just use one wireless device, and hard wire anything else. Using two routers together is not good.(they work for about 30 seconds then have address conflicts) ... DEPENDING on the software that they come with, disabling all the DHCP functions is not always possible so that you can use just the switch part, so best buy a cheapo hub from http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...pSwitches.aspx or similar to network any other pc's into the one and only router connected to the internet !

Don't believe me ? Carry on then
Old 20 December 2007, 03:19   #8
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Can you configure the Zoom router to act as an access point only, so it acts as a repeater? Have a look on the setup page to see if it's an option.

That's what I have done here: I have two Belkin wireless routers, one is connected to the cable modem, and the other just sits at the top of the house, not physically connected to anything apart from power, but extending the wireless range of my network.

John
Old 20 December 2007, 03:52   #9

Town: Brussels
Boat name: - sold -
I think you won't know for sure until you try it. If you wish to use such a setup, you would likely have to connect the switch side of the Zoom to the switch of the Belkin. You have not given a model number of the Belkin, so I cannot tell if there is a switch on it.

disable then all DHCP services (except client) on the Zoom, that should take care of IP address conflicts. Probably, you'll have to hardcode an IP address on the ethernet side of the zoom as typically that's a dhcp server side but not client. Pick an address way up in the range and try to exclude that on the Belkin dhcp range. If you cannot exclude it... pick it way up.

In theory; the Zoom would then act as a bridge between it's switch side and wireless side. It will all depend how the software in the zoom handles it's interfaces. This advise is given without me reading the manual on both devices, I'm just telling you what my experance with such devices is and how they usually work... no guaranties.

I have a setup alike this at home with 1 adsl router, 1 access point and a 1 wifi router that's just acting as a wifi-ethernet switch. It can work... I have then 2 SSID's in the house for different PCs. I only have 1 DHCP range, generated from the ADSL router.

so far the theory. Now, you need to ask yourself why the zoom would be any better then the Belkin for wifi? I take you will position them far apart, cause next to eachother you won't gain much - or anything at all.

Patrick
Old 20 December 2007, 06:51   #10
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Just use one wireless device, and hard wire anything else. Using two routers together is not good.(they work for about 30 seconds then have address conflicts) ... DEPENDING on the software that they come with, disabling all the DHCP functions is not always possible so that you can use just the switch part, so best buy a cheapo hub from http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...pSwitches.aspx or similar to network any other pc's into the one and only router connected to the internet !

Don't believe me ? Carry on then
The link you gave is to a switch. Why would you recommend a hub? A hub is a Layer 1 device that does not 'think' and causes collision - Not good in a network enviornment. At least a switch (Layer 2) bases decisions on MAC addresses

.... Or did you mean to say switch istead of hub?