Old 22 March 2008, 12:35   #21

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Matt Hi.

Yes I read the same, but it's the cheaper ones that suffer most, for example the sub £1K ones from Machine Mart, which is why I'll be looking to spend a bit more.

I know they are a compromise, but with the limited space I have they would be ideal.

Nasher.
Old 22 March 2008, 17:28   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Yes they are a compromise but decent milling machines do take up quite a bit of space.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...ent-777941.htm

Something like this looks reasonable - not as good as a proper mill but I can imagine there will be times when it's even better - not haveing to disturb work in the lathe for example.

Have a look around for an EMCO if you can - their lathes often come with a nice milling attachment - you see them on Ebay from time to time. I bought a smaller EMCO advertised on adtrader - without the milling attachment but a nice little lathe all the same.
Old 23 March 2008, 09:03   #23

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Hightower ....if your still looking ...there is a co near me called BBC machinery ...they have alsorts in stock ....emcos ...with mill attachment ....colchesters ....harrison 300...400's loads of cheap denfords. smart and browns vsl's a good sturdy machine as well

I have a cracking CVA with the collet chuck ....wouldnt trade it for anything...brilliant design carriage ....best ive ever used but very heavy.....I have a bridgeport interact which can run in either cnc or in manual (with handwheels)....again brilliant but built around my needs.....big and solid. look for something that has loads of tooling if poss

I
Old 23 March 2008, 13:18   #24

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
Hightower ....if your still looking ...there is a co near me called BBC machinery ...they have alsorts in stock ....emcos ...with mill attachment ....colchesters ....harrison 300...400's loads of cheap denfords. smart and browns vsl's a good sturdy machine as well

I have a cracking CVA with the collet chuck ....wouldnt trade it for anything...brilliant design carriage ....best ive ever used but very heavy.....I have a bridgeport interact which can run in either cnc or in manual (with handwheels)....again brilliant but built around my needs.....big and solid. look for something that has loads of tooling if poss

I

I've used Interacts before, very easy to program and use with a flexible design. The CNc mill that we have is also fairly easy to use, but the manual is next to useless. I can program is to do driling and pocket cycles and the like, but can't work out how to string them all together to form a seamless program.

Yes, I'm still interested in finding companies that can supply machine tools, I've made several contacts with companies that some of our RIBnet members have suggested and have a few options, but nothing certain yet.

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2008, 20:13   #25

let me know what you fancy and i'll ask

I
Old 23 March 2008, 21:06   #26

Town: Fareham
Quote:
let me know what you fancy and i'll ask

I
That'll be great!

A medium sized Lathe like a Triumph 2000 with Collet, 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

And a Bridgeport Vario Milling machine with all the accessories.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2008, 00:31   #27

Quote:

I
I would LOVE a CVA!!!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cva/index.html
Old 24 March 2008, 11:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
having had a few lathes from myfords, harrisons,colchesters, smart and brown , DSG its the best i've turned with. mine is the mk 1A series 3 ........doesnt have large capacity turning but makes up for it everywhere else. a toolmaker recommended it and i'm glad he did ....well worth the effort of getting it into the workshop. not too common and dont make great prices due to its weight ....
I sold my colchester student 1800 and replaced with this ....the colchester weighed prob just under a tonne ...this is around 3-3 1/2 tonnes within the same footprint......but ohhh soooo much smoother

I
Old 24 March 2008, 12:44   #29

Yes the heavier the better - my milling machine weighs about 5 tons - burst the seals on a brand new Hiab - a big one!!!
Old 24 March 2008, 14:53   #30

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Yes the heavier the better - my milling machine weighs about 5 tons - burst the seals on a brand new Hiab - a big one!!!
Another reason it is smooth is because the sprindle is belt driven not gear driven. We used to buy old Harding belt feds, put new bearings in them and use them for high finish work.
Old 24 March 2008, 16:28   #31

Quote:
thats a beast.....what machine is it?

Limey Linda ....thats what i like about the CVA ...the gearbox is seperate and underneath it ....no vibration through the spindle and onto the work plus the carriage is nearly 24" wide ......i always fancied a hlvh but after using the CVA i wouldnt trade now.......my S&B vsl was nice but it had a hard life before i got it and couldnt get the precision i wanted but still a pretty solid machine..............always amazes me how S&B's make very little on ebay yet myford 7's and super 7's command premium prices .......

cheers

I
Old 24 March 2008, 19:24   #32

It's an Elliot Sturdimill universal - normally a horizontal but it also has a vertical head and a very rare slotting/shaping head with it. Came out of Borg Warners prototype toolroom so didn't have much use.

It doesn't look that heavy - the crane lifted the 2 Triumph lathes no probs but it really struggled with the mill. The bloke was amazed - it was a fairly new HIAB and rated at 6 tons. Of course he only lifted it on a short reach. He managed to lift but had to put it down in the middle of my doorway - we then had to put it on rollers and tirfor it into place.
Old 25 March 2008, 10:26   #33

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Hi Andy,

Sorry, only just found this thread - there's an auction company in Chelttenham, AMS Auctions www.amsauctions.co.uk who regularly do engineering firm clearances...sad reflection on British industry that the receivers seem to be getting busier!

Hope all's well with the trailer by the way.

Simon