Old 27 December 2004, 20:03   #1

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
tsunami

...Finding it almost impossible to comprehend the scale of this awful disaster.

The news stories and pictures are horrific.

Us
Old 27 December 2004, 22:59   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
The Mighty Sea 23,000 Asia/Africa 0

Bummer! The sea which we love and respect so much has given us a terrible reminder of it's mighty destructive force. My thoughts aren't with the dead but with the injured and homeless

Before this terrible disaster becomes tomorrows chip paper I want to do something to help. I am not particularly boastful but there are a couple of things in the rib world I am very good at namely training and wiring

Training I am prepared to offer 6 level 2 courses for a donation to the Redcross for 112 pounds per course. There are no extras and this price includes all fuel used and the cost of the certificates and logbook. You can of course give more to the appeal if you wish! I presently run a recognised traing establishment for 2 RYA schools who will be donating the certificates. I have no problem traing youngsters if they are accompanied by parents or responsible adults

Night Time Training . I work on a tug and we generally go to sea for 9 hours at a time. If anybody wants to come aboard we will really review and improve your navigation and night time awareness plus we'll get you out on the Rib and experience safe night time boat transfers. You can also get 9 hour in your logbook and drive the tug (under supervision!) 90 quid each We are going out next on the 7 th January

Wiring if anybody wants a second battery fitted to their boat then I will provide the two way isolator switch. Marine grade cable.battery terminals and battery box and fitting for 50 quid

If anybody is interested just make the donation to the Redcross (the info is on the link below) and tell me what I need to do for you and when.

I'd prefer if this thread recieved no replies, other than other members offering some help/donations to the Redcross.

The sea Fkkd over a lot of people this time and they genuinely need our help. Lets see what we can do!

If can be contacted by PM and also by phone from the 30th on 07774401963

Stuart

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Campaign.asp?ID=38543
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2004, 00:37   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Nice one Stu - I've started with a small donation on the Red Cross site, and depending on how things go in January, perhaps see about joining you for the night shift on the tug.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2004, 11:57   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Good for you!!!

Got to be honest the sheer scale of it is mind boggling!!! Those people must be going through hell - and it will get worse once disease takes hold! Many disasters are man made and no amount of money will help whilst the people are at war with each other - this is different!!!

I was a little shocked at the attitude of many of the tourists on holiday in the region - they were all fleeing and fighting each other to get out - fair enough for the elderly or people with young kids but I think if I had been out there I would have tried my best to help out a little bit!

Typically though the man in the street seems to have got it all out of proportion again - the media have a lot to answer for! People seem to think these waves are like something out of independance day - the BBC showed a computer animation of what one of these waves do - the buildings they showed would have made the wave about 300 feet high!!!

Watching the videos of the wave coming in made me realise just how much damage even a smallish wave can do! The problem they have in these places is that they are only a few feet above sea level to start with.

The whole thing does remind me a little bit of a bible story - the one about building your house on the sand. The man who built on rock was far better off.
Old 28 December 2004, 11:58   #5

Cheque just sent but wish I could do more!!!
Old 29 December 2004, 10:15   #6

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
When I checked this morning 68000 people dead

When you have governments like the UK and US ,spending money to kill people in Iraq, its hard to get a handle on a natural disaster and its toll, Bushs latest round of funding was several billions, to wage war with, and the money that is flowing in now, although in the millions to the disaster area, is so small in comparison, The Irish govt , only 2 million, so far nothing from , France Scandanivia, or Kwuait a country helped in the not so distant past.

The whole thing does remind me a little bit of a bible story - the one about building your house on the sand. The man who built on rock was far better off.

and of course there are the posts on Ribnet........

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2004, 13:20   #7

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Just down the coast.

Hi all..
I am currently on a UK navy supply ship in Cochin in India.. After the tremors came the waves.. We went past Sumatra a mere 10 days ago and past SRi Lanka 2 days before it happened.. Although onboard we did not suffer any damage, the tide rose and fell by up to an hour every 30 minutes.. Which was quite dramatic.. A load of local fishing boats which came into harbour to avoid the waves, then got smashed into a bridge..
The devastation for the locals here is very bad.. they are missing 400 fishing boats just from where the port I am in.. We are all wanting to go out and help, but at the moment we are only just getting prepared to maybe do relief work, as we have no stores onboard. Hopefully we shall be sailing a few days early and helping out.. Does not seem right that we are having all our food everyday when there are people stranded.. but as with all things to do with the Govt.. it works slow..
I was humbled today as went to my Rickshaw drivers house and literally 8 of them live in 3 rooms.. I gave away some Christmas presents to his Daughter, but you feel you want to give more.. FOr a worker the average wage is 150 rupees.. or 1.90 uk pounds.. working from 7 am to 7pm.. the conditons are pretty horrible by our standards.. yet they all seem happy.. We in the Uk who have all we have and still bitch that we don't have enough.. Maybe should come to INdia.. you can buy a solid wood 40ft semi displacement boat here for 20,000 pounds!! fully fitted...
If anyone wants to humble themselves come here..
We hope to be involved with aid work very soon but are still awaiting orders to sail... and this is where the international community falls down!!

Merry Christmas all from India.. maybe next time we all spend 100 on petrol going for a blast down Southampton water.. we should consider those in India.. who make 700 per year!!
Old 29 December 2004, 14:22   #8

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Badbaws

Good to hear that you and your crew got through that terrible thing ok.

I would just like to wish you luck in whatever relief efforts you may get involved with and hope that you all stay safe.

I for one envy you. Sitting here in England I feel pretty helpless. I, like alot of others here will give but there is no substitute for doing.

Best of luck.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2004, 13:31   #9

Sailing...

Looks like we are sailing now on the 2nd.. they are making a decision in the Uk as I type. We are embarking a relief team from the uk and will head off somewhere.. we will find out tomorrow!!

We all got stuck onboard today as a new threat warning came in.. but it was nothing in the end.. but caused panic throughout Asia..

Be good to sail and help out..

Will keep you updated when arrive in the next port which may be in a few weeks or a month...

Alex
Old 30 December 2004, 14:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
When I checked this morning 68000 people dead

When you have governments like the UK and US ,spending money to kill people in Iraq, its hard to get a handle on a natural disaster and its toll, Bushs latest round of funding was several billions, to wage war with, and the money that is flowing in now, although in the millions to the disaster area, is so small in comparison, The Irish govt , only 2 million, so far nothing from , France Scandanivia, or Kwuait a country helped in the not so distant past.

and of course there are the posts on Ribnet........
I was not trying to cause any offence! I have quite a few friends who are Bangladeshi and they always tell me about the terrible flooding they get as the country is so flat.

The death toll is totally beyond imagination now - seeing people who have lost their whole families - as usual it is the people left behind who suffer the most!
Old 31 December 2004, 01:17   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Alex (badbaws) - interesting to hear 1st hand news - please keep us updated.

As many have anticipated, the news has got worse. I did some research to get things into context - the URL below shows the population figures for our local unitary Authority:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2...pages/00mf.asp
If you look up your own district, it gives a sobering comparison of numbers against the current statistics from the Indian Ocean.

For anyone who didn't see a news report last night, there was a short piece about Red Cross aid which has already left the UK and will now have landed - so by using that link that Stuart has posted, you can make a direct impact on this crisis.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2004, 08:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws
I was humbled today as went to my Rickshaw drivers house and literally 8 of them live in 3 rooms.. I gave away some Christmas presents to his Daughter, but you feel you want to give more.. ...We hope to be involved with aid work very soon...
Good for you and the Navy who are working hard to help alleviate this terrible situation. Thanks for your report.

Considering RIBnetters' generosity and support for charity efforts in 2004 could helping those affected by the tsunami be a Ribnet Charity focus for 2005 ?

Us
Old 01 January 2005, 15:50   #13

Still waiting..

Well we are still sat alongside waiting for the Deputy Priminister to pull his finger out, stop eating more pies and get into gear.
Looks like Sri Lanka for an indefinite period of support and rebuiling.. We still don't know when we are sailing or when supplies will arrive. We spent the day fueling up today.. but still need the man power and supplies to take there..

For all those who have seent he news saying UK sending 2 warships.. I can asure you one of them is grey but certainly is not a warship!! We only do 10 knots.. so it will be 2 days steaming probably sailing on the 4th or 5th..

I think we will be laning people to rebuild and get vital services functioning again.

Happy New Year to you all form India

SO still have to wait and see when and where...

Alex
Old 02 January 2005, 11:35   #14

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
hi all, hope you all had a wicked xmas and new year - havent posted for a while,
been busy having a major sort out of things I can give to charity for the Tsumai appeal -
went in Oxfam in the shop for 2 minutes to make a donation + whislt chatting to the staff there 4 people came in and chucked
about 80 pounds in the tin after me, shows how good people here in britain are
Old 02 January 2005, 11:44   #15

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
It really is impossible to understand the scale of this!

I decided that New years eve was a good time to collect money. went round the pub asking friends for a donation, (in my best pursuasive voice) after 10 minutes we had almost £300. took into Oxfam this morning and waitied in line with 12 other people to hand money over.

Its the least we can do!!
Old 02 January 2005, 11:48   #16

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
excellent work there mate
Old 02 January 2005, 11:54   #17

Good for you peeps.

Us
Old 05 January 2005, 09:59   #18

3 mins silence today for the victims of the disaster. Midday.

Us
Old 05 January 2005, 12:18   #19

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
I spoke to my work collegues and they all observed the silence.
Its the most amazing thing that this terrible disaster has brought everyone together in such a way.
I don't know about the rest of you out there but I look at the pictures time and time again and feel helpless sitting here at my desk. I have given, and I know plenty that have. My step-son gave £10 of his birthday money.
Lets hope, as a legacy to those who have lost their lives, that this togetherness continues.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2005, 13:09   #20

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Its terrible, we had 2 swedish programs on tv in Sweden were the Swedish people could donate money during 3 hours, 36,5 million €uros came in (only 9 million people in Swe), its amazing to se how people in the world has been effected and how helpfull all are to this tragedy.
12:00 today we had 3 min of silence, all commercial trafic stopped and all people was quite, amazing to see.
I light a candle for all the lost and also for the people in Asia that has a long way to go.
Attached Images