Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Tragic accident Napoli?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6326795.stm

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-ne...970&m=2&y=2007

A yacht has capsized and 4 people rescued - another person died. The yacht is said to have lost her keel after hitting an obstruction. I wonder if it could be one of those containers - it's not far away from the Napoli.

Must have been a terrible experience for the crew - 4am and suddenly upside down. They got into a liferaft and fired off some flares which were lucky to be spotted that time of night!!!

It is worrying just how many yachts you read of these days that lose their keels - shows the problems of modern design and construction.
Old 04 February 2007, 19:19   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
- shows the problems of modern design and construction.
Bollix, all it shows is the increase in yachting and reporting!
Old 04 February 2007, 21:03   #3

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6326795.stm

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-ne...970&m=2&y=2007

A yacht has capsized and 4 people rescued - another person died. The yacht is said to have lost her keel after hitting an obstruction. I wonder if it could be one of those containers - it's not far away from the Napoli.

Must have been a terrible experience for the crew - 4am and suddenly upside down. They got into a liferaft and fired off some flares which were lucky to be spotted that time of night!!!

It is worrying just how many yachts you read of these days that lose their keels - shows the problems of modern design and construction.
Could easily be one of those containers COdders! I did not keep up with news on Napoli but how many containers are missing. This is frequent occurrance in Bay of Biscay due to weather there.
The Keels on yachts these days are using many modern techniques and composite materials etc which are great but do not take an impact like the old Skegs and Nichelson type of Hull.
The modern (last 25 years) Fin Keel or similar has also a separate Rudder and the latter is much more exposed to damage than the fin keel itself.

WIthout going into much detail, I sem to recall Simon le Bon loosing the entire Kel which sheered off each bolt whatever he hit, they capsized and were all lifted off an upturned hull.
I also recall that at least 4 of the Yachts that were lost in that ill fated Fastnet Race were a "recent at that time 25 perhaps 30 years ago" ROn Holland Design and made of Kevlar which was new composite material at that time. couldnt take the strain.

A skeg Keel which starts at the bow and runs to the full stern of the boat and encompases the rudder post and rudder is the most reliable. It also glides over Nets ETC. I wouldnt let it decide th eboat I buy but it does help to know about what sort of keel and hull one has under them.
Old 04 February 2007, 21:34   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
WIthout going into much detail, I sem to recall Simon le Bon loosing the entire Kel which sheered off each bolt whatever he hit, they capsized and were all lifted off an upturned hull.
Unless I am mistaken Drum (le Bon's boat in the ill-fated 85 Fastnet) didn't hit anything. The keel just "fell off".
Old 05 February 2007, 00:22   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Bollix, all it shows is the increase in yachting and reporting!
Not at all - it's the push for ever lighter - ever faster yachts. Dismastings are also pretty common these days. I would love to see the keel fall off a Colin Archer design.....
Old 05 February 2007, 01:29   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Unless I am mistaken Drum (le Bon's boat in the ill-fated 85 Fastnet) didn't hit anything. The keel just "fell off".
I can tell a little story about that...

Not long before the Fastnet race that year one of my Dad's friends (I can name him but I won't) happened across Simon Le Bon quite firmly aground in Drum somewhere around the Solent and offered a tow off. When it was evident she was stuck fast Le Bon insisted that he tried yawing Drum side to side to try and wiggle her off.
It took all the power of two dirty great diesels in a 45' powerboat to drag her free (at Le Bon's insistence).

I wonder if that had something to do with it...?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2007, 07:04   #7

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Not at all - it's the push for ever lighter - ever faster yachts. Dismastings are also pretty common these days. I would love to see the keel fall off a Colin Archer design.....

So what make/year was the Yacht involved? Couldn't see it from the early reports?
Old 05 February 2007, 11:58   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
It's a Maxfun 35 which from the pics at least seems to be on the performance side of yot racing. E.g. it's really a bloody great dinghy.
http://www.maxfunboats.nl/boat.php?boat=7
Old 05 February 2007, 12:58   #9

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Reckon she's had a hard life so far... round Britain winner despite a mast breakage...