RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
This is what happened in Edinburgh if I recall correctly. I remember reading that Edinburgh council had reduced its parking spaces by several thousand.
I say just play them at their own game. I really can't see the point of going in to the average town centre. All the shops are either clothes shops, DVD shops, Phone shops or eateries. If your desparate for any of these items then shop out of town. Once the big shops start to lose custom and complain to the council they will soon relent and provide more parking at a better price.
Unfortunately as much as the car is bad for the environment in many different ways the genie has been let out of the bottle and it ain't going back in. Its about time the do gooders and council realised it. Also have you noticed how Council Employees all get free parking in their own secure area. It wouldn't be so bad if they did as they preached.
Yes but there is no chandlery in edinburgh city centre anyway! Seriously though parking in edinburgh for short periods (2 hours say) is pretty easy. There are also excellent park and ride facilities and pretty efficient bus services. On top of this there are good train links to many of the surrounding towns. there is still a congestion problem but encouraging people to bring their cars into town isn't going to fix that!
Old 21 September 2006, 16:05   #32
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
yer yer yer but we didnt all buy cars to travel on buses and trains

now we have the government telling us park here we will ferry you in like cattle at your cost of course. what a joke

Old 21 September 2006, 16:23   #33

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop

now we have the government telling us park here we will ferry you in like cattle at your cost of course. what a joke
Exactly.

You don't see Labour taking much Public Transport and paying for it.
Old 21 September 2006, 16:39   #34
pop

no the t*at with big ears just flys around in his jet seeing school children, thinking how can i really f**k this country before they kick me out and guess what biggles we are paying for it .

out with them all

politisians, traffic wardens, stright copers and RHP of course
Old 21 September 2006, 18:21   #35
RIBnet admin team

No pop, you are now talking even more pish than earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
I personally bought a car to make journeys which aren't convenient by bus or train (usually no direct link, infrequent service etc). If I need to be in either glasgow or edinburgh city centre it is always my preference to jump on the train because: (1) it is faster (2) I can have a beer (3) it is environmentally friendly (4) I can read a book, do some work, chat on the phone etc (5) it is reasonably value for money (compared to realistic cost per mile of car use, and parking costs and desire not to line NCP's pocket!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
Nobody is TELLING us what to do!
Its local government that provide the park and ride service not westminster - but its still Labour in power. Do you know what the cost for the service is? parking is free. And the return bus fare is very reasonable (about the same cost as fuel for driving) and becuase the bus uses the bus lanes it is quicker.

Old 21 September 2006, 19:04   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Most bus routes are heavily subsidised cos hardly anyone uses them - it would be cheaper to scrap all the buses and let people have free vouchers for Taxis!!!

Public transport is great in very big cities - anywhere else it's shit. Taking an old Aunt to hospital to visit Uncle takes about 12mins in a car - by bus it takes over 2 hrs as she has to change buses so many times - not exactly fair on an 80 yr old lady!!!

When we lived in London we never bothered with a car - shame the politicians think that the rest of the UK is the same as London.

Has anyone seen what the barking mad Libs want? £2000 car tax - yes that's right - £2000 and fuel to go UP!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4992676.stm

Must rush out to vote for them!!! - BONKERS!!!
Old 21 September 2006, 19:09   #37
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Ah well at least we won't have a yellow government next time then!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 19:21   #38
RIBnet admin team

cod - whilst I am not supportive of excessive road tax (fairest route seems to be to stick it on fuel - biggest users/poluters/wasters get taxed more) - I am glad you are presenting the full picture: whilst their proposal is to increase road tax at one end of the scale it is actually to completely remove it at the other; but not like you to make any politically neutral comments!
Old 22 September 2006, 07:47   #39

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Polwart,

Don't forget we English subsidise the Scottish. Maybe thats why you are happy with your town centres its getting English money pumped in to it.

As for subsidising buses. When I lived in East Calder (Just outside Edinburgh for those that didn't know ) you got the strange situation where two different bus companies ran double decker buses at the same time on the same routes through the village, you used to get the buses following each other. To get customers they were charging ridiculously cheap fares such as 10p to go to Livingston. Why on earth were we subsidising buses to have a price war I don't know.
Old 22 September 2006, 07:47   #40
pop

polwart get a life with your goodie to shoes attitude you are the people who make this country like tihs. voting for all these stupid rules and regs mind you you are scottish that could explain it