Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 August 2008, 17:12   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
The World according to Codprawn: the US Patent System

< Edit: Split from a thread about trailer bearings. JK >

i would be very wary of some of these new US patents - most of them have already been done before - they will be trying to patent the wheel next!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2008, 18:26   #2
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
And it was some read too ..
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2008, 08:01   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
For people who wonder what I am on about.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/03...mess_will_get/

The most public case is with Blackberry - they were delayed for a long time because a raft of stupid patents had been granted to a company who never even had any intention of making any products - a bit like people registering domain names and parking them.

In the end Blackberry had to pay $612 million as the delays were costing them more. The patents will probably be thrown out eventually but Blackberry won't get their money back!!!

Basically the US patent office allows people to patent a concept rather than an actual invention. This is crazy - it means somone could have patented a horseless carriage or a flying machine without even building a prototype!!!

There has been a long running dispute with some company who was granted a patent for a buy it now feature for online auctions - they are trying to stop Ebay from using it. This makes about as much sense as granting someone a patent for the concept of a supermarket!!!

http://news.cnet.com/Supreme-Court-h...3-6055547.html
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2008, 12:11   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
So I'm not sure what e-commerce and the patenting or trademarking of software have to do with trailer bearings.

And I'm not sure how the few examples cited in the article becomes "most" in your post.

Have you been reading all the patents as they are granted, or are you just making sweeping generalized incorrect statements?

Cite some statistic or article saying that over half the US patents granted for some period of time should not hve been granted due to unoriginality.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2008, 17:46   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
So I'm not sure what e-commerce and the patenting or trademarking of software have to do with trailer bearings.

And I'm not sure how the few examples cited in the article becomes "most" in your post.

Have you been reading all the patents as they are granted, or are you just making sweeping generalized incorrect statements?

Cite some statistic or article saying that over half the US patents granted for some period of time should not hve been granted due to unoriginality.

jky
Because I am attacking the US patent system does NOT mean I am attacking the US - don't be so touchy!!!

I thought it was common knowledge what sort of a state the US patent system was in.

they even granted someone a patent for common Yoga moves that have been around for thousands of years!!!

http://news.cnet.com/Fixing-a-broken...3-6212615.html
It costs millions of dollars in litigation fees to show that a patent should not have been granted, and most big corporations have learned that the hard way.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-143188.html

"A fix for a broken patent system"

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage...20081550452837

"The US patent system is not working. It stands accused on all sides of stifling innovation instead of nurturing it."
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2008, 18:35   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Because I am attacking the US patent system does NOT mean I am attacking the US - don't be so touchy!!!

I thought it was common knowledge what sort of a state the US patent system was in.

they even granted someone a patent for common Yoga moves that have been around for thousands of years!!!

http://news.cnet.com/Fixing-a-broken...3-6212615.html
It costs millions of dollars in litigation fees to show that a patent should not have been granted, and most big corporations have learned that the hard way.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-143188.html

"A fix for a broken patent system"

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage...20081550452837

"The US patent system is not working. It stands accused on all sides of stifling innovation instead of nurturing it."
congratulations on the spectacular digresion. I think IBWET was asking for opinions on the concept of using positive pressure to protect bearings immersed in water rather than a thesis on the validity of the intellectual property, or the general state of the USPTO!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2008, 21:57   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
congratulations on the spectacular digresion. I think IBWET was asking for opinions on the concept of using positive pressure to protect bearings immersed in water rather than a thesis on the validity of the intellectual property, or the general state of the USPTO!
I agree I didn't think it would go that far - my apologies!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 08:44   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
JK ever worked as a government press officer???
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.