Old 19 November 2012, 09:34   #101
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
What had you in mind ?
I think I want a nice surprise! So something that delivers something special
I don't want to take over this thread but any recommendations will be considered carefully - thanks to all so far.

Old 19 November 2012, 10:03   #102

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Well Gennlemen ... tonight I'm trying a 'Benromach Peat Smoke' No age statement.
on the subject of which, I tried their Organic one when it was being sold as an 8YO - Reckoned it had the "maturity" of their 10, but smoother. If you know what Im trying to say!

Anyone tried the Organic in it's current guise? I keep seeing it, nearly buying it & being distracted by something else....
Old 19 November 2012, 17:41   #103

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I don't want to take over this thread but any recommendations will be considered carefully - thanks to all so far.

This one will definately surprise, I think its gorgeous .. and not what I expected at all ... but then Ive been banging the drum for this distillery for a while now

ARRAN Sauternes Finish 50%

You could go for a sweetish Yamazaki, another I really enjoy,

YAMAZAKI 12 Year Old

or if you like a bourbon finish

YAMAZAKI Bourbon Barrel 48.2%

or this .. another firm favourite of mine .. it only tastes right as cask strength to me , another sweetish one on the start but huge body then it dries right out like the tide

SPRINGBANK 12 Year Old Cask Strength

And another of excellent value

ABERLOUR A'BUNADH Batch 42

although a little less grand in my opinion than those opinions of the online tasters

I'm guessing youve tried the Campbelltown stuff perhaps the Aberlour too, but the others if you havent will surprise you, although a tasting would be in order to avoid disapointment on the day .. get thee to Arran lad, and taste some of their stuff
Old 19 November 2012, 18:00   #104

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Jesus Bigman you must have some pallet!! I do agree with you re Arran nice drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 18:06   #105

Quote:
anyone care to share their glassware preferences?

I tend to use different glasses,
I definately have 'only whisky' glasses, I only use two, and I dont have any of those posh 'nosing' glasses

I like a clear plain straight walled tumbler 200ml which is about 2/3rds the size of an ordinary one

I dont generally like cut glass ones as I love to see the colour of the dram unhindered, and any favourites or new drams will go in that which is a Friday or Saturday night job Also when swilled round, you see the spirit stick to the sides and that in its self, releases enough for the nose. Being as I drive a lot I tend not to consume whisky at all from Sunday night through till Friday, but if I'm slack or feeling the need I have a slightly smaller one which is a cristal one, as it seems to make the dram last longer as its harder to tell how much is left in it, with the pattern on the glass

Oh and while were on confessional I prefer my drams with water ... sometimes up to 50% ... there I've said it now actually I vary it depending on the brew, but many of them would slip over the back of your throat without giving up all their secrets if you didnt. I definatley disagree with taking it neat, its a complete waste IMHO .. and thats all it is... just MHO

Although I have mentioned, different water can do so much for a whisky too... and is not to be underestimated, it wouldnt be unusual to use more than one type (ie bottled) when trying to get a handle on something that didnt taste like I expected it might.
Old 19 November 2012, 23:24   #106

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Cask strength

Quote:

Some may be available for a wee bit less elsewhere, there's even a Glenburgie for Bigmuz

Cask Edition - MaltWhiskyDistilleries.com - the online destination for Scotch whisky and distilleries

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 06:45   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
Some may be available for a wee bit less elsewhere, there's even a Glenburgie for Bigmuz

Cask Edition - MaltWhiskyDistilleries.com - the online destination for Scotch whisky and distilleries
Got to admit, I mentioned it earlier , as I thought this was another eye opener, but I couldnt be certain of the one I tried as it came from an independant source .. I think the one you found is 'it' though, which I was also looking at last night, as it was a cask strength of about that age but its 5 or so years since I found/tried it. As to price .. bear in mind that the above is for a 50 ml bottle
Old 21 November 2012, 22:27   #108

Christmas must be on its way .. two boxes have arrived from 'a ' whisky shop, of which I have learned, one is for me dunno who the other is for !! and I dunno whats in 'em oooh the suspense ..and its ages yet
Old 21 November 2012, 22:31   #109

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Andy you have just mentioned my favourite liqueur. You should try putting equal measures of G and a good malt and sit back and enjoy a Rusty Nail. You'll never look back.

I'll second that
Old 21 November 2012, 22:34   #110

RIBase
Quote:
I have learned, one is for me dunno who the other is for !!
Perhaps for some of yer RIBnet friends... on you that is
Old 21 November 2012, 22:37   #111

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Water with whiskey is a necessity. It's what it's made for. Neat is a waste. Ice waxes the waxes and removes the flavour. 50/50 is the rule of thumb. But generally any water should be more rather than less.
Old 21 November 2012, 22:42   #112

RIBase
The only thing that should go in a single malt is another one, with the exception of a Glayva of course
Old 21 November 2012, 23:26   #113

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
The only thing that should go in a single malt is another one, with the exception of a Glayva of course
Aye

Squid.
Old 24 November 2012, 21:06   #114

Right ... ....... In my ongoing quest to find good grog for decent money ... I succumbed to a £25 bottle of Bowmore in Tesco's ... Not my favourite malt by any means, but I'll struggle to buy another Bowmore after this pathetic effort

Its billed as a 'Small Batch Reserve' aged in Bourbon casks .. No age statement.

I checked the ABV and thought hmmph 40% ? ... still .. but worth a punt just to find that gem we all look for ? .... well ......

I love Bourbon .. so where the hell is it ? .. its bitter almonds at best .. I get apples .. acidic cooking ones ! a pathetic spirit blend at worst .. it has your tounge stuck to your lips , theres the Bowmore whisk of peat and smoke then nothing but bitterness .. as my glass empties the bourbon starts to appear ... but only on the sides of the glass .. as you stick your nose in it .. its still not in the dram .. pathetic

I'd love to know who sanctions this type of whisky from a distillery that should know so much better .. I want my money back ....

Do not buy whisky lovers

Fortunatley I still have some Clynelish left I started this thread with .. now thats a good 'un

PS .. Tesco also have dropped the Jura 'Prophecy' again to £42 ... buy .. buy .. buy .. people .. not the £38 it was but better that the £52 it normally is, and it gets my vote for a seriously good dram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	74459  
Old 24 November 2012, 21:20   #115
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Glayva is a fine drink (best enjoyed with ice), but I wouldn't waste either the malt or the Glayva by mixing them in a glass. If you really want to experience both on the same evening best mixed in your stomach.

Quote:
PS .. Tesco also have dropped the Jura 'Prophecy' again to £42 ... buy .. buy .. buy .. people .. not the £38 it was but better that the £52 it normally is, and it gets my vote for a seriously good dram
So it it better than that weird superstition stuff that looks like someone's added irn bur?

Quote:
dunno who the other is for !!
Has she by any chance met Willk. He strikes me as those his wit and charm might go down well with the ladies?
Old 24 November 2012, 21:35   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
So it it better than that weird superstition stuff that looks like someone's added irn bur?
Its completely different as a Jura hater .. you have my word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Has she by any chance met Willk. He strikes me as those his wit and charm might go down well with the ladies?
Well thats the trouble with drachmming ... the wit is fine at the start of the evening .. but .. to keep a lady interested .. shes more interested in the 'wood'or em.... staying power at the end of it ..
Old 24 November 2012, 22:34   #117

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
Its completely different as a Jura hater .. you have my word

Well thats the trouble with drachmming ... the wit is fine at the start of the evening .. but .. to keep a lady interested .. shes more interested in the 'wood'or em.... staying power at the end of it ..
I am no rising to the bait. But at last you show some good taste

Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 23:01   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I am no rising
Aye ......
Old 08 December 2012, 08:39   #119

Was in my local hyperdales the other night and they had Oban 14YO .. which is a pleasant enough dram for light quaffing at 49 quid for a bottle .. thats..... four .. nine what is going on ? 32.50 yes .. 49 noooo
Old 08 December 2012, 20:47   #120

Another update .. picked up an old favourite Auchentoshan 3 wood tonight at an un named megastore .. who flashed it through the till with a couple of hundred pounds worth of other household stuff.. and it rang up as £61 .. he was on the next item when I questioned it .. he said how much do you think it should be, and I thought well its bloody good stuff but it hasnt doubled in value since last time I bought it ?

Turns out he double wrang it .. with the ensuing shuffling and manager intervention .. it turns out .. he didnt ring 1 off 2 x 6 bottles of nice Shiraz through and just one so ... from panic .. to bonus

Anyway .. the point of the post was to say this dram has changed

Its lost a lot of its sweetness since the last time I bought it some time ago .. theres no age statement on the bottle,(never was) but it now tastes quite dry .. and is much more akin to the base spirit I always knew Auchentoshan as ... (its mostly rubbish that went for blending) It still has the flavours you are looking for which for me was mostly the bourbon, but is finish is nothing like it used to be

This is the trouble these days .. modern methods often yield a result .. but its usually only as consistent as long as the master blender is still employed... or alive

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7957.aspx