Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 24 August 2011, 18:23   #1

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The Fine Line Between Really Dumb and Astoundingly Stupid - Part II

A while back I had posted an article promoting 'stab proof' knives that some guy in the UK had 'invented'. I had basically stated that this had raised the stupid bar so high, that it would be nearly impossible to surpass. It appears that this standard has been surpassed by non other than the esteemed mayor of London.

Apparently the city is giving away 125,000 tickets to school kids for next summers' Olympic games, but will not include any shooting events due to concerns about what the sight of a firearm could do to the impressionable young.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...et-giveaway.do

Here is a great commentary that appeared in today's National Post:

Lorne Gunter: Getting gun safety completely backwards | Full Comment | National Post

Lorne Gunter: Getting gun safety completely backwards

Lorne Gunter Aug 24, 2011 – 12:15 PM ET | Last Updated: Aug 24, 2011 12:27 PM ET

This is ridiculous, but oh so typical of gun banners — indeed of those who would ban most pleasures or recreations in the name of public safety or the “public good,” whatever that is. In the name of bettering us despite ourselves, they take leave of common sense and typically end up making the situation worse.

The City of London is giving 125,000 free tickets to school children for next summer’s Olympics. But it is not giving any free passes to shooting events, the rationale being that Mayor Boris Johnson — usually a sensible man — has a push on to curb gun and knife violence and handing out free passes to see target and skeet shooting would send the wrong message.

Of course, letting school children see the world’s most disciplined and skilled shooters would have the opposite effect. It would demonstrate how responsible people use guns. It would show kids thats guns aren’t just used casually or even wantonly for street crimes — to rob a senior in an alley or enforce a drug territory.

Does visiting an art gallery encourage students to go out and commit graffiti vandalism? Does watching surgery on TV provoke them to slash passersby in a mall? And even if it did, would their criminal acts be the fault of the artist or surgeon? Would we ban painting and operations?

This is how out-of-touch those with banning instincts have become. They believe if kids are never exposed to potentially dangerous items or practices, they will never be prompted to behave dangerously. What rot.

There will always be bad people doing bad things with otherwise perfectly legitimate items — like people who drive cars drunk. So if kids are prevented from seeing cars driven skillfully, the only role models they will have are DUI drivers.

The same holds true with firearms. There is no way governments can successfully ban all guns, so one of the ways to impress upon young people the need to handle firearms safely and responsibly is to let them see the effort, skill and training needed to become a top sport shooter.

Of course, such logic escapes most public-safety fanatics, just as the need to teach kids to consume alcohol in reasonable ways and quantities once escaped the temperance prudes who banned all alcohol (unsuccessfully) because a few were incapable of handling it responsibly.

National Post
Old 24 August 2011, 20:05   #2

Town: Chichester
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon 450
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yammy 50hp
Glad to see its getting some press accross the pond, over here I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere apart from shooting forums!

Absolute Joke!!!
Old 24 August 2011, 20:32   #3
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
My youngest daughter is, at 15, a member of the British Junior squad shooting air and .22 rifles and I am amazed at the lack of funding for a sport that teaches them some of the finest attributes such as self discipline, hard work, precision and a fantastic team spirit. Her and her team mates are about as far from criminals as you could imagine yet they know what hard work means and brings.

What Boris should do instead is to give the kids free tickets to the football where they can soak up the exemplary language in the stands and be inspired by the outstanding role models on the pitch.
Old 24 August 2011, 20:59   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The Journo is clearly confused. He describes Boris as "usually a sensible man". He is not - he is a total nutter. However because he is crazy we forgive him his little errors of judgement and he wins popular support.

I assume he has applied the same approach to fencing? judo? boxing? karate? etc - all sports where the "violence" is directed at individuals not a target.
Old 24 August 2011, 21:20   #5

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by polwart View Post
he is not - he is a total nutter.
!
Old 24 August 2011, 21:27   #6

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
and who can forget this.

Old 25 August 2011, 00:15   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
And for the sake of juxtaposition:

California Police Sticking To Guns In Defense Of Letting Kids Hold Automatic Weapons | FoxNews.com

California Police Sticking to Guns in Defense of Letting Kids Hold Automatic Weapons

By Maxim Lott Published August 18, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Would you let your kid touch a machine gun?
Photos of officers from the Santa Rosa Police Department letting kids handle the department’s SWAT team weaponry at a community event has sparked a debate over how much exposure to guns is healthy for kids.
Community organizer Attila Nagy, who took the photos, told FoxNews.com that he was concerned it might encourage kids to use guns in the future.

"My main concern is for kids who handle these things. They're fascinated by them, and it makes them familiar with guns," he said.
One city councilwoman, Marsha Vas Dupre, told her local paper that she was “alarmed and devastated” by the photos.
But the police department is pushing back, saying they see nothing wrong with how they handled the event.
"The weapons are rendered safe and are unloaded. We ensure the safety of those weapons," Santa Rosa Police Capt. Gary Negri told FoxNews.com, adding that the police attend the event to build ties between the police and the community.
"Our goal is saying to people, ‘hey, don't be intimidated by the police.’ We want to break down that barrier… Once these events are over, people will be more comfortable having conversations with officers.”
Another goal, Negri said, was to educate kids about guns.
“Education and gun safety is a component of what we do… We teach kids the difference between a real gun and a Toys R' Us gun.”
But the department's response hasn't convinced everyone. One woman, Elaine Holtz, was so concerned by the SWAT team's weapons that she approached the police officer at the community event and asked what was going on.
"I would not want my child to be involved with something like that... Those guns, they should have been behind glass -- to teach the kids that you don't want to deal with this gun, because it kills." Holtz told FoxNews.com.
"I am coming from the heart of a woman, a mother, a grandmother," she added.
Despite the complaints, some gun safety experts say the police are right -- and that data shows kids who grow up with legal guns are actually less likely to get into trouble.
"A U.S. Department of Justice study showed that children introduced to firearms by their fathers had a lower rate of delinquency than children who learned about guns on the street, or even children who had no experience with guns at all," Dr. Tim Wheeling, of the group Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, told FoxNews.com.
The 1994 Justice Department report concluded: "Boys who own legal firearms... are even slightly less delinquent than nonowners of guns." Specifically, 14 percent of kids with legal firearms committed street crimes, compared to 24 percent of kids with no guns at home.
Given that, Wheeling said, the response to the police actions seemed overblown.
"If this controlled lesson in firearms helped the kids understand that guns are not toys, some good could come from it. The knee-jerk rejection to the police outreach by locals was clearly excessive."
The pro-gun control Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence declined to comment.
Whether the police event actually helped the kids understand that guns are not toys is a matter of debate.
"It wasn't a safety thing," Nagy said, contesting the police version of the story. "That's misinformation. I was there. The gun was displayed, and kids just picked it up and played with it."
Nagy cited his photos as evidence.
"In one of the photos I took, as Elaine Holtz was talking with the officer, you can see a little boy is reaching up to the table and grabbing a gun... the youngest kid there was maybe 5 years old."
Holtz said that when she asked the officer what was going on, he replied that they were doing "training," but that she did not find his answer convincing.
"I did not see any education going on; it looked like it was just fun," she said. "And I think we generally have a good police department. But what happened here was poorly thought out."
Police Capt. Negri said that the department is looking at “whether we want to change our tack in the future.” But for now, the police are sticking to their guns.
"Gun safety is a part of the discussions we have with the kids," Negri said. "These kids, what do they learn about guns from video games, movies and TV? A lot of the questions we get from kids are way off base... So it's helpful to have some realistic dialogue."

Read more: California Police Sticking To Guns In Defense Of Letting Kids Hold Automatic Weapons | FoxNews.com