Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2013, 12:12   #1

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
The end of the line for Iphone's?

Ok so i have been holding out now for about 6 months waiting to change my work mobile phone in the hope that the boys at Apple would offer something to compete with the other major players. Looks like i waited in vain!

The new iphone really isn't inspiring me and having witnessed the iphone 5 looking rather similar to my 4s, im quite disappointed to see the 5s looking.... Well, still like my 4s!

So im thinking of breaking away from Iphones and quite fancy the look of the Sony Experia.

Problem is i have something like 600 odd songs on my Iphone and don't want to lose them.

Can the be transferred across to an Android phone?

Also, two of my vehicles have ipod enabled stereo's which have a dedicated charging and music control facility.... Is there a way i can convert the plug to another brand of phone manufacturer? An adapter maybe?

Anyone on here have any experience of the Experia? I use my phone about 70% for work (emails etc..) and the rest for pleasure.

Any comments welcome.

Ta

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 18 September 2013, 12:16   #2

Forgot to say, I'm just about to board a flight so will not be able to reply to any comments for about 14 hrs or so.

T I A

Simon

Old 18 September 2013, 13:10   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
cant say for the Sony software but Samsungs Kies(itunes) has a function for syncing my Note 2 to Apples I tunes as well as Google play.
Old 18 September 2013, 14:14   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
The new iphone really isn't inspiring me and having witnessed the iphone 5 looking rather similar to my 4s, im quite disappointed to see the 5s looking.... Well, still like my 4s!
Not everyone agrees, check this Apple-nobber:

iPhone 5S Sale Queue Starts Four Days Early

Old 18 September 2013, 14:41   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Ok so i have been holding out now for about 6 months waiting to change my work mobile phone in the hope that the boys at Apple would offer something to compete with the other major players. Looks like i waited in vain!

So im thinking of breaking away from Iphones and quite fancy the look of the Sony Experia.

Problem is i have something like 600 odd songs on my Iphone and don't want to lose them.

Also, two of my vehicles have ipod enabled stereo's which have a dedicated charging and music control facility.... Is there a way i can convert the plug to another brand of phone manufacturer? An adapter maybe?

Anyone on here have any experience of the Experia? I use my phone about 70% for work (emails etc..) and the rest for pleasure.

Any comments welcome.

Ta

Simon

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) Got 3 Iphone 4 between us, loads of apps, B&W Zeppelin dock etc, so we are pretty much tied into the franchise. There's nothing wrong with the phones & we are out of contract. The phones do everything we want 'em to do & I see no reason to cough up to change for what is essentially a minor update. Personally I think the smartphone has probably reached its pinnacle for the foreseeable future, with the Manfs now competing on price & minor tweaks for the fanboys.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2013, 14:42   #6

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
an iphone is still way easier to use than the Samsungs. Unless you have something specific the samsungs do that the iPhone doesn't id stick with the iPhone. For the vast majority of people the manufacturers have again gone down the path of differentiating themselves with masses of features that most of us will never use.
Old 18 September 2013, 14:43   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Why not just stick with your 4s? I don't see any reason to "upgrade" to a 5 or 5s, but equally wouldn't want to swap it for anything else.

My 4s is paid for and my monthly bill is now about £12 for more minutes than I ever use, unlimited texts and a gig of data. If I had a bleeding edge phone on contract it would be costing 3 or 4 times that much.
Old 18 September 2013, 14:58   #8

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
Ditto about sticking with the 4. It does everything i need, costs only £12 per month for zillions of calls, texts and unlimited data.
Personally can't see the point of upgrading....

Old 18 September 2013, 15:17   #9

Town: wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Honda 90 hp
The S version of every iphone model is traditionally the same as the first as far as the shape and size its the techno inside the phone that is tweaked for faster download speeds and what not. If your after a new look you'll have to wait for the iPhone 6
Old 18 September 2013, 15:56   #10
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
iOS vs. Android: Your Best Arguments

I won't be switching from an Android phone anytime soon but most people want a phone that just does the simple things (calls, text, email, web) and does it well. They don't expect or need their phone to do anything else. An iPhone does that.
Old 18 September 2013, 17:09   #11

Hi guys

Got to agree about my 4s, its been probably the best phone i have ever owned....only issue is that the stand-by button on the top right stopped working about 6 months ago... PITA!

My phone is part of a group business contract so i can change if j wanted to without any financial commitments on my behalf i just don't know which direction to go.

I love my iphone but hate the fact that i feel "manipulated" by Apple what with Itunes and all the paraphernalia that comes with it.

Surprised no one on here has mentioned the fact that the Experia is IP67 rated...... Handy on a rib i would have thought.

Simon

Old 18 September 2013, 17:17   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Surprised no one on here has mentioned the fact that the Experia is IP67 rated......
I didn't know that, interesting
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 18 September 2013, 17:48   #13
Administrator

Yes but...

Quote:
It is also important that you keep your Xperia Z1 away from:
- Salt water
- Liquid chemicals
- Sand/mud
Old 18 September 2013, 18:02   #14
Administrator

I'm no Apple fanboy, and iTunes drives me up the wall, but for me the iPhone goodness far outweighs the bad bits.

Anyway I've got so many apps that I use that Apple would have to screw up really badly for me to jump ship now!
Old 18 September 2013, 18:29   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
....and iTunes drives me up the wall......
ITunes has to be the worst pile of shiet ever foisted upon man, that & Ios6.0
Old 18 September 2013, 18:43   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

ITunes has to be the worst pile of shiet ever foisted upon man, that & Ios6.0
Seconded...

I don't think they could made it more complicated and less ergonomic if they tried.... Plus i always dread sync'ing just in case i lose my songs or apps......

And why does apple have such an aversion to Flash? (and USB sockets on the ipad) The Youtube app is all but useless as a result!

Thinking about it, Iphones are a bit like wives..., cant live with them, cant live without'em..... And your always tempted to have a play with your best friends model :-)

Simon

Old 18 September 2013, 18:47   #17

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) Got 3 Iphone 4 between us, loads of apps, B&W Zeppelin dock etc, so we are pretty much tied into the franchise. There's nothing wrong with the phones & we are out of contract. The phones do everything we want 'em to do & I see no reason to cough up to change for what is essentially a minor update. Personally I think the smartphone has probably reached its pinnacle for the foreseeable future, with the Manfs now competing on price & minor tweaks for the fanboys.
At the risk of going off topic this is easily the best piece of kit I've bought in the past couple of years....absolutely FANTASTIC
Old 18 September 2013, 19:17   #18

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Just for anyone with an iPhone 4 (not the more powerful 4S) and thinking of upgrading to iOS7, I would suggest waiting to see if people start commenting on performance issues before deciding to take the plunge.
Old 18 September 2013, 19:42   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

there will be a way - depending on whether you want to manage them (off the phone) in iTunes or not will depend on how complex (and possibly legal) the solution is.

Quote:
this is probably the main advantage apply has - is third party 'plug ons'. Other manufacturers haven't defined a standard that would allow you to snap the phone onto a speaker or charging station etc.

Quote:
I use both regularly. I also work with people who regularly use a variety of smartphones. All like the user interface, display quality etc on the Experian Z. The water proofing is certainly a major plus point for most people on here. It can make charging a little bit of a pain - the solution to this is the charging dock - which may go someway towards the above question too, although I am not sure if it connects to your stereo etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
an iphone is still way easier to use than the Samsungs.
I'm not convinced by that. Like switching between mac - linux - windows some things are easier on each, but mostly the one you are familiar with is the easiest to use. Once you regularly use an Android device and then try to do something on an iPhone that needs 5x as many clicks and swipes you may not agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
If your after a new look you'll have to wait for the iPhone 6
In reality its a tried and tested design - its unlikely the 6 is going to be radically different.
Old 18 September 2013, 20:24   #20

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I buy cheap second hand ipods from Ebay and put them in my various vehicles and sync them all with my itunes account.

It used to be important for me to have all 4200 tunes shareable across all devices including the phone but not now.

After having a 3, a 3s, a 4 , a 4s and a 5, I changed to a Galaxy 4s I found it was cheaper to buy cheapo ipods and use the phone for .. hey .. phoning ... cos I kept having to buy 64GB phones ..

for the 64gb 5s they now want £700 stroll on !

The 4s was the best of the bunch the 5 was better but more of a 4s ..s

Samsung havent cracked it either their o/s is buggy and not faultless like ios

The 1080p display of the samsung and its display size are awesome as is the camera, but its got a lot of other gimmiky crap in it, so Im toying with going back to my '5'as a good solid reliable blower

But dont forget this ! ... as everyone clamours for the 5s .... if you went and spent the big bucks ... everyone else is going to get ios7 along with you (or the newer iphones anyway) and get their own 'iphone upgrade' wont have fingerprint recognition but a whole lot of stuff that 'will' be in the latest gear

The Sony is a nice phone although Ive never owned one so cant comment .. the gadget freaks seem to think the HTC one is top of the heap at the moment followed by the S4 and the Sony