Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 19 September 2013, 21:54   #41

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Nothing at apple will be the same after Steve Jobbbbbs signed off .. The R&D budget has been cut .. theres no ground breaking innovation anymore .. all the stuff on the new fone and ios has been done by others in one way shape or form .. fingerprint recognition ? ...been around for 10 years .. ok so first for a phone , but not for a lap top or keyboard .. like I said nothing new .. think the O.P. was right on reflection

Still a better O/s than anyone else by a good margin .. but that margin is thinning ........ fast
Old 19 September 2013, 23:16   #42

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Been playing around on it tonight. Like that notifications go to the home screen and pressing on em takes you straight in. The control panel from the bottom and view from the top with a two finger swipe is good too

The fonts aren't some of em are terrible.

Best thing about apple basically for me tho is it works and it's intuitive just like Nokia used to be. There's too much out there that you buy that doesn't work cos it was never tested properly

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 20 September 2013, 22:18   #43

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Been playing around on it tonight. Like that notifications go to the home screen and pressing on em takes you straight in. The control panel from the bottom and view from the top with a two finger swipe is good too The fonts aren't some of em are terrible. Best thing about apple basically for me tho is it works and it's intuitive just like Nokia used to be. There's too much out there that you buy that doesn't work cos it was never tested properly Sent from my iPad using Rib.net

Fooking updates ...., updated mine last night ... Worked okay for 2 hours then froze my phone .. After 3 hours on the phone to Apple I,m told my brand new iPhone 5 needs to be changed due to a soft wear problem ... Now I,m with out a phone for 4 days till they replace it ..!! What a load of Bollocks ...!!
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2013, 22:59   #44

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
[QUOTE="Anchorhandler;570082"] Seconded... I don't think they could made it more complicated and less ergonomic if they tried.... /QUOTE]

Yes they could look at Windows8!
Old 20 September 2013, 23:04   #45

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Fooking updates ...., updated mine last night ... Worked okay for 2 hours then froze my phone .. After 3 hours on the phone to Thames Water I,m told my brand new iPhone 5 needs to be changed due to a soft water problem ... Now I,m with out a phone for 4 days till they replace it ..!! What a load of Bollocks ...!!
FTFY
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2013, 23:07   #46

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
iOS isn't the outright winner in the security stakes either. US Military chose Samsung Knox (an Android variant) over alternatives.
And they also employed Bradley Manning!
Old 21 September 2013, 10:02   #47

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I have an Iphone 3 that came free with my O2 contract a few years ago that I use to make & receive calls and texts plus take a few photos when I'm salmon fishing as I forget to take my camera....
My wife has a Iphone 4 that she constantly plays candycrush/scrabble on that also does the calls/text thing and most importantly only requires me to hand over my laptop occasionally as it's like a mini computer !!
Why update ??
Old 21 September 2013, 10:41   #48
RIBnet Supporter

I'm following this thread with interest. I'm something of a Luddite and until 2010, had stuck with a basic mobile. I was given a Samsung Galaxy S then and for a few years, got to like it, then got to love it. Not that I was comparing it to anything else, but I did like the camera, which was very good (in class, then). It got loaded with maps and charts and images and I didn't think of changing.

Then, along came Mr Vodafone and gave me a free iPhone 4. Hmmmm. I ignored it for around six months and finally succumbed to temptation - oops! Gotta say, I'm finding the Apple straight jacket a touch snug for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm fiercely independent and stubborn (wile thrawn, hi) and I think I just resent Apple telling me what's best for me and what I can and can't do - generally only Mrs willk and JK get to do this!

To make matters worse, after a recent network switch, I've been handed an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4. I have to decide on Monday with one will become the willkphone for the next couple of years. I think I'm going Galaxy...
Old 21 September 2013, 11:52   #49

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm following this thread with interest. I'm something of a Luddite and until 2010, had stuck with a basic mobile. I was given a Samsung Galaxy S then and for a few years, got to like it, then got to love it. Not that I was comparing it to anything else, but I did like the camera, which was very good (in class, then). It got loaded with maps and charts and images and I didn't think of changing.

Then, along came Mr Vodafone and gave me a free iPhone 4. Hmmmm. I ignored it for around six months and finally succumbed to temptation - oops! Gotta say, I'm finding the Apple straight jacket a touch snug for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm fiercely independent and stubborn (wile thrawn, hi) and I think I just resent Apple telling me what's best for me and what I can and can't do - generally only Mrs willk and JK get to do this!

To make matters worse, after a recent network switch, I've been handed an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4. I have to decide on Monday with one will become the willkphone for the next couple of years. I think I'm going Galaxy...
Yep, i know EXACTLY what you mean... In a way i resent myself for allowing Apple to slowly bully me into being loyal to them and for that reason i'm very seriously considering the Experia. I like the IP57 rating also which for someone like me who spends most of his life around water and boats, could be quite beneficial.

I found quite a few online programs that will convert Buytunes songs and make them Android compatible ( MP3 format i suppose?)

Finally, considering I'm now 40, the larger screen of the Experia will probably save me hundreds just in replacement spectacles along! :-).

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 21 September 2013, 11:58   #50

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Afaik, iTunes will convert AAC to mp3. I keep all my tunes as mp3s anyway, there's an option somewhere in iTunes to keep the mp3 format.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2013, 04:12   #51
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
They're offering a "waterproof" Galaxy S4 varient here in states. See if you can find one of those.

http://m.cnet.com/videos/unboxing-th...ctive/50155188
Old 23 September 2013, 05:57   #52

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Back to the OP, I have the Sony Xperia Z. Very slick and smooth phone. Pretty fast and user friendly. Build quality is top notch. Nice display, good sound quality.
Old 23 September 2013, 06:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Afaik, iTunes will convert AAC to mp3. I keep all my tunes as mp3s anyway, there's an option somewhere in iTunes to keep the mp3 format.
But your toons will take up a shed load more memory in your device I think. AAC is quite a compact format, plus you can regulate the bit rate for each track allowing you to cram even more in. For the 4000 odd songs on mine its only using 30 odd GB
Old 23 September 2013, 07:54   #54

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
. For the 4000 odd songs on mine
Feck me BIgmuz, how many albums have The Proclaimers made :-)
Seriously though, makes the 600 songs on mine look like a mere musical intro....

Glad to hear that Shitetunes will convert them to MP3 format but is there any DRM complications when changing them across?

After all, i own those songs since...ahem.."most", were genuinely paid for. Since i legitimately own them, i want to be able to do as i wish with them. I don't want there to be a limit on how many times i transfer or copy them.

Im definitely looking to break free from the Apple ball and chain which has slowly been fitted to my ankles but want to do it in as painless a way a possible.

Particularly like the idea of buying cheap ipods of ebay and using them in the vehicles..

Simon

Old 23 September 2013, 10:27   #55

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

Feck me BIgmuz, how many albums have The Proclaimers made :-)

:roffle:
Old 23 September 2013, 11:31   #56

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Been reading this with interest...I'm not into apple stuff - but back in the day when IPODS were the thing I used them and Itunes - I have about 12000 songs in itunes.

How on earth (in idiot simple terms) can I put a few of these on my galaxy s2 so that I can play them via Blueteeth to one of th emany blue teeth enables speakers I seem to have floating about ?

Anyone point me in the right direction ? - ideally a really really simple direction thats free....
Old 23 September 2013, 11:41   #57
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Been reading this with interest...I'm not into apple stuff - but back in the day when IPODS were the thing I used them and Itunes - I have about 12000 songs in itunes.

How on earth (in idiot simple terms) can I put a few of these on my galaxy s2 so that I can play them via Blueteeth to one of th emany blue teeth enables speakers I seem to have floating about ?

Anyone point me in the right direction ? - ideally a really really simple direction thats free....
You need a blueberry ice pop
Old 23 September 2013, 11:51   #58

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post

You need a blueberry ice pop
Yea, they're awesome...when I managed to lift yours I was blown away.....so modern :-)
Old 23 September 2013, 13:01   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

You can convert them to mp3 in itunes, then copy them out.

How to Convert AAC to MP3 Using iTunes

If theres DRM on them you'll need an ipod ripper, and if so, use the ripper to convert the format whilst your doing it

Incidentally I created an AAC version from an MP3 and it was larger ? dunno why that was thought it was the other way about,

Whats the biggest SD card a SGS S2 will take ? I know you can get 64GB now, but the phone might not recognise that size .. you might be best to do some research before you buy one
Old 23 September 2013, 13:38   #60
RIBnet Supporter

Google says they use 32GB. Get a fast card from a reputable dealer!!!