Old 30 September 2006, 20:54   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
TFT monitor

Hmm I may have spoken too soon on that thread about monitors the other day....

My three month old HP vs19e TFT screen has just sprouted a green vertical line down the display from top to bottom, about four inches from the RH edge of the screen

It disappeared for a while earlier but now its back again though not as bright as before.

What might be causing this? I'm not sending it back (I bought it while I was over in England back in July and the courier cost to return it would cost as much as the screen did, not to mention the fact that it would almost certainly get smashed in transit) so I wondered if there is a common fault that causes this maybe a dry joint somewhere or something like that?

Not sure if there are any IT repair bods on the forum but any advice would be appreciated.

Ta
Old 30 September 2006, 21:29   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Stephen,

I'm sorry but everyone will say it needs to go back. I understand your situation. Have you get a next day swapout warranty. That would be interesting.

Best solution would probably be to put up with it or because they are so cheap buy another one.

Not the best answer but I'm just being realistic.
Old 30 September 2006, 21:30   #3

As a last resort. Check your graphics card is set up to output to a LCD monitor. It should be done automatically but its worth checking anyway.
Old 30 September 2006, 21:31   #4

It may also be your graphics card thats doing this. Try another one if you can.
Old 01 October 2006, 09:42   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
As a last resort. Check your graphics card is set up to output to a LCD monitor. It should be done automatically but its worth checking anyway.
How do you do that? The Dell PC was supplied with a 17" CRT screen. The bumph with the screen says the optimum resolution is 1280x1024 @ 60hz and that is what I've always been running it at.

It has been working fine since the end of July just started playing up yesterday. It does it even when you switch the screen on before the PC so I'm pretty sure it is not the graffix card.

I know what the answer from Comet will be - "bring it back to the store you bought it from and we'll take a look" - then I'd most likely have to deal direct with the HP repair agent - I spent 3 weeks faffing around in July with a broken DVD recorder that I bought the previous year and it was nothing but a pain in the butt getting it fixed.... I spent about 3 or 4 hours on the phone to Dixons, Pioneer, and their repair agents being passed from pillar to post and resolved to never, ever buy anything from Dixons or Pioneer again, which was one reason I bought this from Comet. Ho hum....