Old 29 May 2007, 07:33   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
Tax on sea fishing

Sorry of this has already been posted, but I've just come accross it.

Apparently our wonderful government are proposing a rod licence for sea anglers in order to conserve stocks and help maintain the environment...

There's an e-petition here if you think its a stupid idea.
Old 29 May 2007, 12:06   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I wonder if it's worth it. Tony Blair and his cronies will just ignore it. There were almost 2 million people who signed about road charging - and they are STILL pushing it through so what's the point. A change of government is the only answer!!!
Old 29 May 2007, 13:54   #3

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
I doubt it'll get off the ground for two reasons:

Firstly, How would they police this over thousands of miles of coastline and tens of thousands of square miles of sea. It's unworkable.

Secondly, rod fishing just doesn't have a big impact on fish stocks. Chuck the foreign trawlers out of our waters and then we'll see an improvement.

Just another left-wing initiative that gets announced to the cheers of the eco-lobby and then quietly dropped. Hopefully
Old 29 May 2007, 15:05   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Is it another money raiser for GB or his replacement.
Old 29 May 2007, 17:20   #5

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
I doubt it'll get off the ground for two reasons:

Firstly, How would they police this over thousands of miles of coastline and tens of thousands of square miles of sea. It's unworkable.

Secondly, rod fishing just doesn't have a big impact on fish stocks. Chuck the foreign trawlers out of our waters and then we'll see an improvement.

Just another left-wing initiative that gets announced to the cheers of the eco-lobby and then quietly dropped. Hopefully

There is always another side to things so...

Agreed on the first point. Plus it would pretty hairy for the bailiffs that would have to enforce it! (it would pretty much end up being voluntary in the remote spots)

Agree on the first bit of second point, but there is an argument that says if anglers pay for a licence they will then have far more say over what that income is spent on and more importantly have a legitimate stake in the management of the fishery. So they can then challenge the trawlers and commercial operators who do not pay anything for their quotas.

IMHO I think that it would let the anglers get a forum where they could lobby for no take zones, sensible quotas and management of their local fishery etc.. Currently they have no say in how the fisheries are run and in what level of fishing effort is appropriate. There has been some tentative economic work done that showed that the overall revenue from recreational sport fishermen (tackle, B&B, boat hire, travel etc etc) is larger than the income generated by the commercial fishing industry. Once you take awat grants etc... Which is food for thought when you look at who's voices are heard by government...

It would always be hugely contentious, but if all of the revenue generated was invested back into the sport (similar to the freshwater licence) it could have direct benefits for sea anglers. It would not be an easy sell and as a sea angler I would what some pretty cast iron guarantees that I would see an immediate and significant gain. For that reason I don't think it will happen, but the principle of it if managed correctly is ok, I think.

I am not against the commercial fishermen either, but marine fisheries management in this country (& EU!) is a joke, and at some point we need to take control over our stocks before they are all gone!

I will now duck for cover.

t
Old 29 May 2007, 17:26   #6

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixy_the_red View Post
proposing a rod licence for sea anglers in order to conserve stocks and help maintain the environment...
As an general aim I'm all for conserving stocks and maintaining the environment! To add to my earlier post above, a licence for sea anglers would be fine, if the trawlers and commercial fishermen had to also buy a licence in proportion to their impact on stocks/environment...

That would make it a nice level playing field....

Be a very brave minister that did that though!

t
Old 29 May 2007, 17:39   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway View Post
As an general aim I'm all for conserving stocks and maintaining the environment! To add to my earlier post above, a licence for sea anglers would be fine, if the trawlers and commercial fishermen had to also buy a licence in proportion to their impact on stocks/environment...

That would make it a nice level playing field....

Be a very brave minister that did that though!

t
Yep. It's a shame that it'll go the way of everything this government do-it'll be grossly unfair and inefficient while ministers believing their own bullsh*t tell us how good it is for the environment.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 20:10   #8

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway View Post
[/I]the trawlers and commercial fishermen had to also buy a licence in proportion to their impact on stocks/environment...
Er they do... based on the size/hp/type of vessel etc. Usually worth more on the open market than the actual vessel.

SDG.