Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Supporter /Trade Member?

What with house moves and everything that goes with it, have just realised my trade membership has expired (been demoted to member )

But its got me pondering.... I really value the support and assistance /general fun and banter on the forum, and since setting up the business took the view that we should become 'trade members'. However, we never promote any product /sell any items commercially /advertise /secure work via the forum.....

As such, am pondering whether I should merely be a supporter going forward???? Happy to contribute financially, but tbh I think I possibly get less 'bang for my buck' as a trade member than others who see a direct benefit.....whats the consensus, is that a fair assessment?

Whilst not a fortune, my thought is that the money 'saved' could be put back into our marketing budget and would pay for a full page advert in the local 'festive week' programme, which raises money for local charities /causes????

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 17:36   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
What with house moves and everything that goes with it, have just realised my trade membership has expired (been demoted to member )

But its got me pondering.... I really value the support and assistance /general fun and banter on the forum, and since setting up the business took the view that we should become 'trade members'. However, we never promote any product /sell any items commercially /advertise /secure work via the forum.....

As such, am pondering whether I should merely be a supporter going forward???? Happy to contribute financially, but tbh I think I possibly get less 'bang for my buck' as a trade member than others who see a direct benefit.....whats the consensus, is that a fair assessment?

Whilst not a fortune, my thought is that the money 'saved' could be put back into our marketing budget and would pay for a full page advert in the local 'festive week' programme, which raises money for local charities /causes????

There's plenty of non trade members on here who drive ribs and other vessels for a living. That puts them in the trade as it were, same as you, being self employed doesn't make any difference IMO. It's all about using the forum for monetary gain, advertising and marketing. Not something I can recall seeing you doing.

As long as you're not breaking the forum rules on trade membership I can't see a problem and I don't think anyone will think any less of you for it either
Old 19 December 2012, 19:11   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Dan, there's no problem with you not being a Trade Member. If that changes in the future I'm sure that one of the team will give you a nudge!
Old 19 December 2012, 21:44   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Sounds like this house move has taken Dan even closer to Ceredigion.
Old 19 December 2012, 22:13   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
These Regional Jokes are causing me to clock up even more time on Google. Ceredigion, the Cavan of Wales
Old 20 December 2012, 00:20   #6

When Dai from Ceredigion died, his family thought they'd better put an obituary in the Cambrian News, so Mrs Jones telephoned the office and the conversation went a little like this:

Mrs Jones: "Hello, is that the Cambrian News? We'd like to place an obituary notice."

Cambrian News: "Very well madam, we're happy to do that for you, but I must inform you there's a charge of £1.00 per word."

Mrs Jones: "£1.00 per word! Duw, Duw, what's the world coming to? Well, let's keep it direct and to the point, how Dai would have wanted it. The obituary will read: 'Dai Jones is dead'"

Cambrian News: "Very well Mrs Jones, that will be £8.00"

Mrs Jones: "£8.00!!! You told me it was £1.00 per word and I only......"

Cambrian News: "There's a minimum charge of £8.00, you see, Mrs Jones"

Mrs Jones: "Oh, right, umm, ok, umm, now, let me think.........right, in that case, we'd like the notice re-worded please, to read as follows: 'Dai Jones is dead, we also hire scaffolding'"
Old 20 December 2012, 04:39   #7

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
When Dai from Ceredigion died, his family thought they'd better put an obituary in the Cambrian News, so Mrs Jones telephoned the office and the conversation went a little like this:

Mrs Jones: "Hello, is that the Cambrian News? We'd like to place an obituary notice."

Cambrian News: "Very well madam, we're happy to do that for you, but I must inform you there's a charge of £1.00 per word."

Mrs Jones: "£1.00 per word! Duw, Duw, what's the world coming to? Well, let's keep it direct and to the point, how Dai would have wanted it. The obituary will read: 'Dai Jones is dead'"

Cambrian News: "Very well Mrs Jones, that will be £8.00"

Mrs Jones: "£8.00!!! You told me it was £1.00 per word and I only......"

Cambrian News: "There's a minimum charge of £8.00, you see, Mrs Jones"

Mrs Jones: "Oh, right, umm, ok, umm, now, let me think.........right, in that case, we'd like the notice re-worded please, to read as follows: 'Dai Jones is dead, we also hire scaffolding'"
Old 20 December 2012, 15:33   #8

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
oh dear ohdear the jokes get worse, funny though.
Old 21 December 2012, 02:20   #9

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Do you know, it has (a mile from the border).... you can tell because the price of eggs has gone up. The eggs themselves are cheaper, but not then you add in the charge for wear and tear on the chicken

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 07:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post

Do you know, it has (a mile from the border).... you can tell because the price of eggs has gone up. The eggs themselves are cheaper, but not then you add in the charge for wear and tear on the chicken
Then there's the delivery charge.