Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 18 October 2012, 11:15   #1
Dhf

Length: no boat
Storm surge and spring tides

I was shocked last night to discover my Rib was close to launching itself, with some of the biggest springs of the year combined with strong onshore winds, this is what I found....

Storm surge and spring tides - YouTube

There was enough water on the road outside the yard at one point to go...

So I took a drive across in the jeep and the water was lapping over the bonnet at one point, there was a car that tried following me but he didn't make it, so I had to go back through to see if he wanted help..
Old 18 October 2012, 11:28   #2

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
the biggest springs of the year combined with strong onshore winds
Very dark, too
Old 18 October 2012, 12:28   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I know you know dale, i've see Dale with the water half way up the meadow, boats floating there and spray and foam from the surf at West dale meeting the spray and foam from Dale .

The Griffin was awash, with beer barrels all over the place, and out Sailing boats launched up the road.

Same cause
Old 18 October 2012, 12:59   #4
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
I know you know dale, i've see Dale with the water half way up the meadow, boats floating there and spray and foam from the surf at West dale meeting the spray and foam from Dale .

The Griffin was awash, with beer barrels all over the place, and out Sailing boats launched up the road.

Same cause

I love Dale and lived there for many years, infact I learned how to row in the meadow as a nipper after storm surges, was you there the night when the beach wall got smashed up in the late 80's, I was in the Griffin at the time with water lapping round knee's, and they where still serving so party on.
Old 18 October 2012, 13:07   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post

I love Dale and lived there for many years, infact I learned how to row in the meadow as a nipper after storm surges, was you there the night when the beach wall got smashed up in the late 80's, I was in the Griffin at the time with water lapping round knee's, and they where still serving so party on.

Jesus you boys certainly know how to party
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 13:14   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I lived next door to the griffin Richmond house.
Had a horrible commute to work, all the way to the boathouse. and at night from the boathouse all the way to the griffin.

Do you mean the night you could surf past the petrol pumps and into the dinghy park, when in the Griffin back yard you were getting spray from the surf coming over a 4 story building? I was worried the hole in the road was going to reach the front door, mind you we did have the door and window boards in?
Old 18 October 2012, 15:10   #7
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
I lived next door to the griffin Richmond house.
Had a horrible commute to work, all the way to the boathouse. and at night from the boathouse all the way to the griffin.

Do you mean the night you could surf past the petrol pumps and into the dinghy park, when in the Griffin back yard you were getting spray from the surf coming over a 4 story building? I was worried the hole in the road was going to reach the front door, mind you we did have the door and window boards in?

You where there then, I almost forgot the road was getting washed away, had to be careful where you stood that night, imagine if the pub had got washed away that night good old storm boards meant we could stand in the Griff and avoid the surf and debris outdoors, happily suppin a pint or two-enty.
That would have been a gruelling 60yrd walk to work for you, having to pass the closed pub in the morning.

Here's another little clip from last night 1hr after high water...most thought twice about making the crossing.