Old 10 August 2009, 18:06   #41

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Update

So another 4 days has passed with Ocean Sports ripping of my site.

I tried calling the Ocean Sports mobile number over the weekend but no reply. I then contacted the web host of www.oceansportstuition.co.uk today again to give them another chance. I seperatly emailed Ocean Sports Tuition (no reponse).

This afternoon the hosting company copied me into an email sent to Ocean Sports.

Quote:
Hi Andy

We have been contacted today by Doug of stormforce.biz regarding the content on your website.

We have run your website content through a plagiarism scanner and I`m afraid there have been a number of pages that still have copied text from Doug`s website.

You were contacted last week and given ample time to make the required changes to your website. We have therefore no choice but to give you 24 hours notice that we will suspend your website if these pages are not changed.

To help you ensure your website content is not breeching copyright I would recommend going though each of your websites pages in turn to check for plagiarism.

Links to each of your pages can be seen here:
http://www.oceansportstuition.co.uk/la/13436

You can check them for plagiarism by using this free online service:
http://copyscape.com/

If by close of business tomorrow any of your pages fail this test we will have no choice but to suspend your website as per our terms and conditions until such time as you can satisfy us that your content is wholly your own and original.

I have cc`d Doug in on this email so he is also aware of the situation.

Best Regards
XXXXXXXXXXX
They gave him 24 hours last week to take down the material and he put it straight back up again so I don’t personally think he needs warning this time. That said it should be down by tomorrow night one way or another. The web hosting company is clearly taking this seriously. They have of course been in business for some time and are good at what they do so have no desire to get wrapped up in such stupidity
Old 10 August 2009, 19:16   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
They gave him 24 hours last week to take down the material and he put it straight back up again so I don’t personally think he needs warning this time. That said it should be down by tomorrow night one way or another. The web hosting company is clearly taking this seriously. They have of course been in business for some time and are good at what they do so have no desire to get wrapped up in such stupidity
I understand your thoughts - but actually it would be worse for both you and the host, if he get peed off and simply moves the site to a new hosting company who may not be quite so responsive. Given that he changed the pages once, I think he thought he could get away with the "minimal" changes he made.
Old 10 August 2009, 19:52   #43

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I understand your thoughts - but actually it would be worse for both you and the host, if he get peed off and simply moves the site to a new hosting company who may not be quite so responsive. Given that he changed the pages once, I think he thought he could get away with the "minimal" changes he made.
Agreed there Polwart

Doug .. Nothing to stop you posting a statement on your front page saying .. "Dont confuse me with this Rip off merchant" or words to that effect and state the age of your business clearly on the front page, implying experience counts

He wont come and fight you, but you can make it clear to the web surfers that he has copied all your content and cant give half the service .. whos going to argue ? .. he wont

Advertising rules are a bit of a grey area on some net content for small sites, so if you have the ball... run with it

On my site I explain the reasons why someone else might have quoted less for a product, but cant match our service Nobody named .. but it makes people think
Old 11 August 2009, 14:23   #44

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
This morning we exchanged more emails and the copied pages have now been taken down.

Desired result finally achieved