Old 20 October 2012, 21:33   #21

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Then if you got flashed from a camera in front of you, it shouldn't be enforceable, as gatso's in general are only type-approved for rear facing use due to the flash.

I'd post at http://forums.pepipoo.com/
Old 21 October 2012, 14:21   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Then if you got flashed from a camera in front of you, it shouldn't be enforceable, as gatso's in general are only type-approved for rear facing use due to the flash.

I'd post at FightBack Forums
This was the odd thing, it never flashed ? ... your info is spot on from what Ive researched ... it seems only the truvelo, and mobile/roadside units can take forward facing images. .....

.....So reading the NIP (Notice of intended procedings) again, I double checked the camera location, as the A9 has a lot in this area, and it turns out, Ive identified the wrong camera that I thought 'did' me ... the offending one is actually on a section of dual carriageway, using google earth Ive confirmed this. This is why the NIP says the offence was 'Exceed 60 mph speed limit - Vehicle with trailer' heres the worrying bit ... I was doing seventy on a dual carriageway because I didnt think any gatso camera would be able to differentiate between a car, and a car with trailer, however clearly the NIP does, as the correct limit for a dual carriageway is 60 mph, so to stay within the 10% rule I should have being doing 66 max to avoid triggering the gatso

So far .. some research I have read states that some gatsos are fitted with inductive loops and are able to distinguish between HGV's and cars, but not buses and HVG's and apply the appropriate limit before triggering (which is new to me) but how could they do that for cars and trailers, with similar sizes but varying axle numbers ?

A car on the same carriageway would have to have been doing over 80 to trigger the camera... so in a nutshell .. thinking I was safe (doing 71) has not proven to be the case ( I never saw a flash from this unit either)

So if the NIP says 71 which was above the limit of 60 for sure,how did the gatso pick me up, when just a car wouldnt have fired it where the limit is 70 ?

Thanks for all your help so far guys
Old 21 October 2012, 14:41   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Are you sure it was a GATSO and not a van?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 14:48   #24

Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
if you have a heavy foot or drive a lot then i would fight it as totting is now a ban in Scotland unless you can prove hardship to others ie you losing your job does not count but if others suffer from you not be able to drive you have a chance.

as for where it happened. Well it has been known for someone in heavy traffic to average 98.6mph in a modified old style honda civic and only get 6 points and not a ban.

so I would guess at 4-5 points and that leaves you with 1 or 2 mistakes in the next 3 years.

Dave
Old 21 October 2012, 15:04   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I think it is very unlikely this was a static camera box capturing you face on. I would guess a van with a hidden operator inside the van had you on a camera. If this is the case these are the ones more likely to make mistakes on calibration, they can be cops or civilians operating them and some force only allow each operator a level to operate to so you could find them at fault as I did on a similar van
Old 21 October 2012, 15:25   #26

Length: 7m +
If they offer you points and a fine by post then i would recomend taking it, if you go to court then the person in court before you will be a unemployed yob with no insurance and no licence court doing 70 in a 30' they will get 3 points and a 50 quid fine to be paid off over 5 years, you will get a 500 quid fine and at least 6 points.
Old 21 October 2012, 15:55   #27

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Take the 3 points & £60 , gone in 5 years & doesn't affect your insurance !!! The A9's a shocker for speed cameras both static & mobile !!
We didn't have a single speed camera in North Yorkshire other than a few coppers with guns on the A1, now they're getting going with a few mobile units to get a bit extra raked in !!
I've found the ones around Brixham the worst for siting a few years ago on 40 into 30 zones !!!! Easily missed if you're not local !!!!!
Old 21 October 2012, 16:37   #28

Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
If they offer you points and a fine by post then i would recomend taking it, if you go to court then the person in court before you will be a unemployed yob with no insurance and no licence court doing 70 in a 30' they will get 3 points and a 50 quid fine to be paid off over 5 years, you will get a 500 quid fine and at least 6 points.
sorry that is simply not possible. for a start the first person would have an instant ban and what i took from what you were trying to imply is wrong as there is a min and max penalty for every offence and on speeding that includes the percentage you are over the speed limit. This is there stop unfair penalties happening to people just because their face does not fit.
Old 21 October 2012, 16:43   #29

Guys .. check my post 22 ... sorry if I wasnt clearer .. it was a static gatso that got me as I passed it. The NIP gives an offence location, which I thought was the camera where I thought I had done something wrong, but it wasnt, it was one further up the road on a dual carriageway section where I thought I was in the clear as I was doing 70 on a dual carriageway
Old 21 October 2012, 16:52   #30

Here's someone else with the same problem in the same force area .... very nasty

Recent lesson re Fixed GATSO Cameras & their ability to detect veh - International Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum
Old 21 October 2012, 16:57   #31
RIBnet supporter

Just thought of something else. Was your car running with a sat nav, tom tom etc. Some of these keep records to download and therefore can be checked on your route.
Old 21 October 2012, 17:00   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Just thought of something else. Was your car running with a sat nav, tom tom etc. Some of these keep records to download and therefore can be checked on your route.
No mate .. its a road I drive a lot and always slow down cos I know most of the sites well, just didnt think I'd get nicked doing 70 on a D/C going passed one .... should really make people aware of this, that they have lasers in them to check vehicle length in Tayside (and possibly else where)
Old 21 October 2012, 17:04   #33
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
No mate .. its a road I drive a lot and always slow down cos I know most of the sites well, just didnt think I'd get nicked doing 70 on a D/C going passed one .... should really make people aware of this, that they have lasers in them to check vehicle length in Tayside (and possibly else where)
Hopefully someone can explain this laser issue and how length is worked out, seems a bit hit and miss and worthy of of pepitoo web forum questions
Old 21 October 2012, 17:15   #34

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
This what I was told by a Traffic cop mate

On a dual carriageway with the black diagonal sign it's 60mph.

If it has a central reservation it's 70mph (unless otherwise stated)
Old 21 October 2012, 17:45   #35

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Take the 3 points & £60, gone in 5 years & doesn't affect your insurance !!! The A9's a shocker for speed cameras both static & mobile !!
Agreed +1

The A9 is a bad road in parts, primarily because it goes from single carriageway to dual carriageway, and it's notorious for accidents. Although the Scottish Government are upgrading it, it's not going to be completed until 2025.

I'm no saint myself and it's an easy mistake to make, especially if you're overtaking, and because you're hauling a trailer you need the extra space before pulling back in.

Thought the A9 was bad... try the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee. More cameras than Jessops!
Old 21 October 2012, 17:59   #36

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I always dread the drive up to Brora because of the speed cameras. It's just over 400 miles from home & apart from the ticket @6 years ago I've been lucky.
Face it we all speed at some time even with the boat on but I wouldn't mind if I wasn't convinced it's a nice little earner for someone !!!! At least they've had to paint the back of them bright colours but it's a bugger constantly keeping your eyes open for them. I always have a couple of weeks waiting to see if a ticket arrives as some of the mobile ones are a bit sneaky. Rumour had it they had one in the back of an unmarked that went at the speed limit & filmed you as you went past on the A9 dual carriageway sections, that slowed me down !!!
Old 21 October 2012, 17:59   #37

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
In your example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
On a dual carriageway with the black diagonal sign it's 60mph.
The limit would be 70mph as you said it's a dual carriageway (so has a central reservation)

If it's a road without a central divider, then it's 60mph as it's then a single carriageway

(though I'm gonna guess that's what you meant)
Old 21 October 2012, 18:13   #38

RIBase
"National Speed Limit on a single track road is 60mph.
National Speed Limit on a dual carriageway with no central divider or reservation is 60mph.
National Speed Limit on a dual carriageway with a central reservation or divider is 70mph.

Not sure if it includes Wales
Old 21 October 2012, 18:15   #39

Aye .. but the point is you are gonna get done doing 71 on a dual carriageway if your trailing a boat
Old 21 October 2012, 18:25   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Aye .. but the point is you are gonna get done doing 71 on a dual carriageway if your trailing a boat
I just put that up because speed limits on dual carriageways can be confusing....

True cos you should be doing 60 but like you Muz7 I did not think that cameras would be able to distinguish vehicles towing trailers, also I did not think that cameras on the opposite side of the road could nick you too. Look at motor bikes they don't have front number plates so they would get away with it all the time.