Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
A few years ago now (2004) i was "done" leaving Portsmouth.

I was driving Mrs's Anchorhandlers car at the time and, although i was only doing 40....it was in a 30 limit (although to this day i still think it looks like and should be a 40, central reservation barrier's etc... see picture)

Anyway, Mrs Ancnhorhandler recieved letter of intent informing her that, in no uncertain terms, SHE was driving the vehicle at the time.....

I decided to challenge this and requested the photographic evidence in order to prove that she was actually driving, even though i knew damn well it was me.

The photo was duly sent out to me and, well....see for yourself. If you can make out whether the driver is male or female then your a better person than me because i was fu*ked if i could!

So i wrote letter after letter trying to fight this saying that we could not remember who was driving but each time we were told that it is our responsibility to know who is driving our vehicles at any given date and time.

We backed away from taking it to court but thinking back about it now, I wish i had done. How can the Police prosecute someone for anything, be it a speeding fine or someting more serious when THEY cannot prove for certain who actually commited the offence???

If it happened to me again i would be tempted to take it to court for sure.

Anyway, Mrs Anchorhandler paid the fine but luckilly, being French she never recieved any points as it is not possible to endorse a foreign licence.

Simon

Looks like the person driving is wearing a beret and has a string of onions round his neck

Old 22 November 2012, 08:27   #72
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

I was driving Mrs's Anchorhandlers car at the time and, although i was only doing 40....it was in a 30 limit (although to this day i still think it looks like and should be a 40, central reservation barrier's etc... see picture)

Anyway, Mrs Ancnhorhandler recieved letter of intent informing her that, in no uncertain terms, SHE was driving the vehicle at the time.....

I decided to challenge this and requested the photographic evidence in order to prove that she was actually driving, even though i knew damn well it was me.

The photo was duly sent out to me and, well....see for yourself. If you can make out whether the driver is male or female then your a better person than me because i was fu*ked if i could!

So i wrote letter after letter trying to fight this saying that we could not remember who was driving but each time we were told that it is our responsibility to know who is driving our vehicles at any given date and time.

We backed away from taking it to court but thinking back about it now, I wish i had done. How can the Police prosecute someone for anything, be it a speeding fine or someting more serious when THEY cannot prove for certain who actually commited the offence???

Anyway, Mrs Anchorhandler paid the fine but luckilly, being French she never recieved any points as it is not possible to endorse a foreign licence.

Simon
When my French friend visits us, he ignores speed cameras, never pays to park & just acts like.....well....french He's never had a ticket from the UK. I, on the other hand, have been had twice in France, they don't take prisoners over there. They literally "frog marched" me to a cash machine & I paid up on the spot. Pity they weren't that keen in 1939
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 09:26   #73

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Looks like the person driving is wearing a beret and has a string of onions round his neck
Sacré Bleu!
As i typed the post i thought to myself..." I bet that Kerny rips into me for this" and bang on cue........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
When my French friend visits us, he ignores speed cameras, never pays to park & just acts like.....well....french He's never had a ticket from the UK. I, on the other hand, have been had twice in France, they don't take prisoners over there. They literally "frog marched" me to a cash machine & I paid up on the spot. Pity they weren't that keen in 1939
Yep, been there also... Was nearly done for "delie de fuite" (evading arrest) a few years ago.... Failed to stop at a stop sign that the Gendarmes were stood next to while they checked for seatbelts....(I know,... i was tired) I had only just pulled out of a nearby car park as i approached them and, in my effort to quickly put me seatbelt on...forgot to stop at the junction causing an oncomming 4x4 to brake rather urgently...

Anyway, while the "men of weapons" ran for their Transit van i sped off and hid at the service entrance at the back of a nearby Ibis hotel (not very discretly either as i was driving a red Renault Traffic van with a full roof gallery and the same british reg you see in the speed camera picture)

Neadless to say they caught up to me and, just like you PD, marched me into a nearby Carrefour in order to withdraw 90euros's. Still, at least i didnt get points though .

I suppose you have to ask which country is doing right though, i for one wouldn't mind if foreighners in the UK were treated the same and for that reason didnt complain too much when i was 'done".

Simon
Old 22 November 2012, 09:29   #74
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler

Simon
Simon there was a Tory MP and his wife who had the same issue and court could not find against them as I recall as prosecution have to prove offence and you do not have to incriminate yourself by telling them! Interesting
Old 22 November 2012, 09:39   #75

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
A few years ago a police officer used the same defence of 'can't remember' & got off !!! Made the papers.
Old 22 November 2012, 09:43   #76

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
I have seen;::::::::::::

points -- 'from 2013 any country can enforce them via the dvla on your UK licence'.

Law in now that the registered keeper of the car will be fined unless someone else owns up to speeding...... Vehicle manager of a company maybe liable for the fine if they can not proove who is driving a company car....!
Old 22 November 2012, 10:42   #77
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS

Simon there was a Tory MP and his wife who had the same issue and court could not find against them as I recall as prosecution have to prove offence and you do not have to incriminate yourself by telling them! Interesting
It's not quite as easy as that, and there's the possibility of being done for failing to identify the driver. The friendly camera people seem to be getting a bit more organised now and are taking a harder line about taking these cases to court rather than just making them go away like they used to a few years ago.

As ever, with all things speeding ticket related you are best off reading up the latest info at pepipoo.com
Old 22 November 2012, 10:49   #78
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett

As ever, with all things speeding ticket related you are best off reading up the latest info at pepipoo.com
Totally agree John
Old 22 November 2012, 11:42   #79

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
The latest thing in these parts is the onslaught of community volunteers, who the Police have armed with a radar gun, clip boards and Hi Vis jackets. These are the busy bodies who have nothing better to do than be a pain in the ass. The local ones all act like nazis and let their mates off but report everyone else. I got busted in the next village doing 37 in a 30 about the 6th car in a long line of cars going both directions. As I approached them, they were both futiously scribbling on their clipboards with neither of them actually using the gun. 3 weeks later I received a letter advising me that my car had been clocked doing 37 through the village and that I was not being prosecuted but was being shown a yellow card that would now be a black mark against me and that they were now operating the "football" system of yellow then red cards!
I contacted the local cop responsible (3 phone messages and an e mail before I got a reply) complaining that these wankers weren't even using the gun, they were estimating speeds and were busy clocking every plate they could. There has been a movement to try and get the speed reduced to 20 MPH in the village and I believe they are simply pumping the numbers to help their cause. When I asked what he was going to do about it as I objected to having a black mark against me unfairly, he said he wasn't prepared to do anything

They had better have their running shoes on next time I see them in action, I will have that gun off them!
Old 22 November 2012, 12:01   #80
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
A friend of mine got done on the A1 single lane doing 54 mph in his truck so he didn't hold traffic up to much,but now he goes up there at 45 mph and has a long Q of frustrated drivers