Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 March 2006, 04:46   #11
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Woke up to a vey light dusting of snow and bright blue skies this morning! Still snowing in Wales?
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 07:33   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Yeah we have had a fair bit - was out until 5am messing about and back out again at 9am - snowing really heavy again this morning but sunny now.

Discovery very good but wide road tyres not as good as my mud pluggers on snow.

Still the only things moving last night were myself and an old Police Discovery they must have had in reserve - they were having fun as well.

Saw a few bumps - mate of mine hit a lamp post - when will people realise that you NEVER use the brakes in snow?
Even in the Land Rover if you hit the brakes you will slide unless it's deep snow.

Conditions actually improved as the snow got heavier - far more grip when the snow got deeper after the gritters had given up!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 09:52   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Saw a few bumps - mate of mine hit a lamp post - when will people realise that you NEVER use the brakes in snow?
Bugger me Codders old fruit you dont half talk some crap at times. NEVER use brakes in snow? Rubbish. Yes, be careful and gentle about using your brakes, practice cadence braking and use the gears to slow down, but NEVER use the brakes?! I dont think so.

25cm more on the way here tonight to add to the 1.6m over the last month. I am getting fed up of snow clearing! And more importantly t'wife has the jeep this week so I am stuck with front wheel drive car. Mind you in all but really deep snow, FWD and snow tyres is better than the jeep. Just not so much fun!
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 13:39   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Bugger me Codders old fruit you dont half talk some crap at times. NEVER use brakes in snow? Rubbish. Yes, be careful and gentle about using your brakes, practice cadence braking and use the gears to slow down, but NEVER use the brakes?! I dont think so.

25cm more on the way here tonight to add to the 1.6m over the last month. I am getting fed up of snow clearing! And more importantly t'wife has the jeep this week so I am stuck with front wheel drive car. Mind you in all but really deep snow, FWD and snow tyres is better than the jeep. Just not so much fun!
Me talking crap or you just being PEDANTIC???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 14:04   #15
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Me talking crap or you just being PEDANTIC???
Eh?

I'm not being pedantic. I'm saying you are wrong in this respect. Where's the pedantry in that?
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 14:09   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Eh?

I'm not being pedantic. I'm saying you are wrong in this respect. Where's the pedantry in that?
Because obviously when I said NEVER I should have said seldom!!!

In nice soft snow it is perfectly safe to brake - on a thin dusting of snow overlying black ice - as it was on some roads last night - than the slightest touch of the brake pedal can have you sliding off the road unless you accelerate to gain control.

ABS isn't much help either - you may not skid but you certainly don't stop!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 14:44   #17
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Because obviously when I said NEVER I should have said seldom!!!

In nice soft snow it is perfectly safe to brake - on a thin dusting of snow overlying black ice - as it was on some roads last night - than the slightest touch of the brake pedal can have you sliding off the road unless you accelerate to gain control.

ABS isn't much help either - you may not skid but you certainly don't stop!!!
Ahh, sorry my psychic powers are a little weak today. I didn't realise that when you said NEVER you actually meant SELDOM. Actually, you probably dont mean SELDOM, you really mean CAREFULLY use brakes in snow if you think about it eh?

(Maybe I am being slightly pedantic now but I'd hate for an unsuspecting reader to take the word of Cod as gospel.)

In a convaluted fashion you do have a valid point about 4x4, misplaced feelings of invincibility and a rude awakening when you find you cant stop so well. Its a phenomenon I've observed even here where you'd think people should know about driving on snow and I'm damn sure it happens in Wales too.
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 15:56   #18
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,385
just back from darkest swansea marina many dollers lighter to,,
yer there is snow on them roads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic1ghjfghfg.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	17711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic1bncnjghjgh.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	17712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	17713  
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 15:57   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,385
poor pics from phone travelling at speed sorry bloody lots of white stuff tho
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 22:50   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
What you been there for then??? Don't tell me you bought a Rinker or something???
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.