Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 September 2012, 18:42   #1
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Sinking Narrow Boat on the Thames

PLA report here - http://www.pla.co.uk/pdfs/maritime/S..._Sept_2012.pdf

Scary how fast it sank!

CJL
__________________

__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2012, 19:06   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Sounds like it was scrap to start with if it needed overplating
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 01:34   #3
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Even on a narrow boat I wouldn't have had the engine room air intake that close to the water line.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 06:15   #4
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Even on a narrow boat I wouldn't have had the engine room air intake that close to the water line.
Quite a "special" location that wasn't it!

On some other forums they are saying the conditions were as a result of the Rib and class V passenger vessel operators on the Thames.

Bottom line is they knew what the conditions on the Thames was like and they still put to "sea". As far as I am concerned their boat was unsuitable for the expected conditions.

Chris
__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 07:03   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 301
Many such boats run 5 tons or more of concrete in the bottom.. Not really carring the weight in the dynamic position of a sailing yacht. Thank god they did not have young children on board. I am sure the dog would of swam ashore waking its tail...
__________________
simsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 07:15   #6
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
As far as I am concerned their boat was unsuitable for the expected conditions.
I don't think it was even suitable for canals, the half wit who put the intake there wants a good slap!
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 08:39   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I don't think it was even suitable for canals, the half wit who put the intake there wants a good slap!
Yep, not really anything to do with the Thames conditions,
Its not really an air vent if its below the waterline with 3 people aboard
it would have sank in a swimming pool!!
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 08:55   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
Had a Narrow boat for many years and never saw a vent that close to the water line.
However, the construction of narrow boats is still a "cottage" industry and standards can vary
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 09:47   #9
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Surprising how dangerous and fast they can sink , I live alongside the Leeds& Liverppol canal though there seems to be stringent rules on plate size in construction ect most never seem to have any proper bulkheads should flooding present itself .

Going back s few years one sank in a lock near Gargrave after getting the bow fender ( fastened with chain )caught up on the gate sill causing a hook up with the lowering of the water level the boat position tilted and water just ran through the boat trapping and drowning 3 or 4 persons .

Only last year a narrow boat got a drenching when the owner opened s sluce gate and unbeknown to him the boats bow drifted under the cascade of water filling the living space with a few inches of water through the open front door
his wife was supposed to be keeping the bow away from the gate with use of forward reverse .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 12:12   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Surprising how dangerous and fast they can sink , I live alongside the Leeds& Liverppol canal though there seems to be stringent rules on plate size in construction ect most never seem to have any proper bulkheads should flooding present itself .

Going back s few years one sank in a lock near Gargrave after getting the bow fender ( fastened with chain )caught up on the gate sill causing a hook up with the lowering of the water level the boat position tilted and water just ran through the boat trapping and drowning 3 or 4 persons .

Only last year a narrow boat got a drenching when the owner opened s sluce gate and unbeknown to him the boats bow drifted under the cascade of water filling the living space with a few inches of water through the open front door
his wife was supposed to be keeping the bow away from the gate with use of forward reverse .

I remember as a kid on narrow boat holidays my aunt and uncle used to warn us of this on every single lock! i though nothing of it until i saw it happen to a boat next to us in the lock! very scary and luckly, it had a good outcome!!

the placing of that vent is just wrong on every level. how can someone with even half a brain think its acceptable!!??
__________________

__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.