Old 06 August 2013, 16:27   #21

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
I'd heard that too Biff, but always presumed it was a bit of an urban myth. I always thought it was plastic compound derivitive that someone suddenly had a brainwave about. Interesting to know, cheers.

Hope you're well btw - you still after those axles? I may have fallen across some cheap ones!
Yes still up for them
Old 06 August 2013, 16:30   #22

PGA glue with a hair dryer works quite well too
Old 06 August 2013, 17:07   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Crikey. Really? That sounds awful. If the joint gets sore, or it gets inflamed I most certainly will. Thanks for the heads-up.
Don't wait that long. You'll have crap from the disc in there.

It barely broke the skin and though I was pretty rancid that day (Yes, Mollers... ) as I was wearing a filthy set of overalls, it was early in the day working on the Ballistic and it looked ok when I got back home. It started to look red and blotchy about a week later, then swelled up very fast.

Deal with it before it gets a chance to cause an issue. 3 weeks of strong antibiotics isn't nice.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2013, 17:51   #24

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
When I was in hospital (broken pelvis) a guy came in for IV antibiotics after slicing into his finger with a stanley knife, he was discharged after a few days but was back a few weeks later for more IV antibiotics. Eventually he had to have his finger amputated.

If it were me I seek medical help NOW.
Old 06 August 2013, 17:54   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
When I was in hospital (broken pelvis) a guy came in for IV antibiotics after slicing into his finger with a stanley knife, he was discharged after a few days but was back a few weeks later for more IV antibiotics. Eventually he had to have his finger amputated.

If it were me I seek medical help NOW.
What the hell had he been doing with the Stanley? :-/
Old 06 August 2013, 19:02   #26

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
balls to using the nhs, for me its always tissue wrapped around then tightly bound with duct tape - im liking the idea of pva and a hairdryer!
as far as infections go i think i must have a decent immune system - i work around drains etc as a builder, and deal with dead bodies as an undertaker, not been ill yet!
Old 06 August 2013, 19:04   #27

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
as far as infections go i think i must have a decent immune system - i work around drains etc as a builder, and deal with dead bodies as an undertaker, not been ill yet!
what do you build brick coffins
Old 06 August 2013, 19:12   #28

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What the hell had he been doing with the Stanley? :-/
Removing insulation from cables.
Old 06 August 2013, 19:43   #29

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Wow..Im a great DIY man too trailerguy ..but not to myself

I go weak at the knees when I see blood ..unless its in a black pudding supper from the local chip shop.

Perhaps a running stitch would have been better than an overlap stitch ?

Thanks for posting though ... it reminds me to be more carefull with my angle grinder now... I want even wearing safety glasses using mine 10 mins ago
Old 06 August 2013, 19:51   #30

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
What a awesome thread!!keep the abuse going. Love it.
Old 06 August 2013, 19:52   #31

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
TG, I had a slice from a carbide disc and a day or so later my jaw started hurting. It felt like I'd grown four sets of wisdom teeth as I couldn't close ( and bite on food ) anymore. Lasted two to three days. Lockjaw ( tetanus ). Did I go to the doctor? Nope. I was later told by my doc that I was stupid. Don't get me wrong, I admire your handiwork, just don't end up losing more than you bargained for.
Oh doom and scaremongering. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get it checked.
:-)
Old 06 August 2013, 20:08   #32

You might be surprised by waiting times in ED's. They are generally shorter than you'd be led to believe by the media, especially for relatively minor stuff. Every patient needs to be treated and discharged or admitted within 4 hours. That means most EDs are actually averaging 2 to 2 1/2 hours to discharge minor injurys. That said EDs have been struggling a bit since Christmas and there are times where some have ambulances queueing to handover patients.

Superglue - very little difference between the medical product and superglue, but the medical product will have been tested for impurities and will have been sterilised. Superglue would probably not have been used for that wound because (a) it moves a lot and glue may not be great and (b) it looked quite bloody which makes it hard to close and the glue set right.

DONT USE PVA or BOSTIC etc.

May be worth a trip to the GP if you can get an appointment or a walkin centre etc. They can take a look and see if there is any sign of infection and get some antibugs in you if need be...

Assuming you had all your childhood tetnuses you probably don't need any tetnus booster. if there is doubt they'd give you one.
Old 06 August 2013, 20:18   #33

All superglue is sterile and it will set through a blood soaked cut
Old 06 August 2013, 20:29   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
TG, I had a slice from a carbide disc and a day or so later my jaw started hurting. It felt like I'd grown four sets of wisdom teeth as I couldn't close ( and bite on food ) anymore. Lasted two to three days. Lockjaw ( tetanus ).

I work with ground engaging equipment all the time, and in a rural environment often. I also work with rusty components often, both are known to harbour this bacterium, so I get a booster every few years to help prevent catching it as inevitably as the OP has proved you will cut yourself at some point and be exposed. If its a deep cut, you have a l;ot more exposure to large quantities of pathogens entering your circulation, although the act of blood pumping from the wound will clear most, it doesent stop infection from other particles as Nos and others have said, so its a definate one for checking at A&E from me too !

You have some balls to take pics of your hanywork TG ... now go get some professionals to keep an eye on you .. and get a Tet jab too .. its probably the first thing you'll get when you go in anyway
Old 06 August 2013, 20:44   #35

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
what do you build brick coffins
gonna build one for my own funeral - good luck to the bearers!
Old 06 August 2013, 20:45   #36

Not sure how you are defining sterile! The glue would use the water in the bacteria cell to set and so is bacteriacidal. HOWEVER, in the same way as 70% or 90% alcohol solutions aren't sterile because either fungal spores or bacterial spores are resistant to the osmotic effect then cyanoacrilates would be subject to the same issues... ...although I've read that the polymerisation may actually bind in part of the cell which might make it tricky to do much pathogenic. However, according to this study: Antibacterial properties of cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive: Does the polymerization reaction play a role? Romero IL, Malta JB, Silva CB, Mimica LM, Soong KH, Hida RY - Indian J Ophthalmol its not effective against all forms of bacteria ( Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a fairly common pathogen and is found on skin and soil so not unknown in dirty wounds etc. ). Medical grade cyanoacrylates are subjected to additional sterilisation (Gamma or EO) during manufacture.

Cyanoacrilates set in the presence of water -so they will set in the presence of blood no problem but you need the two surfaces to stay in contact - if its bleeding too much the two surfaces wont join the blood will just set the cyanoacrilate. You need to be able to stop the blood 'flowing' while the bond sets.
Old 06 August 2013, 23:04   #37

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Not exactly surgery
but a few months ago I was asked at the 11th hour by the RNLI if I could stand in for someone to be an after dinner guest speaker to about 40 v.i.ps about an hours drive away from where i live as they had been admitted into hospital that afternoon .

Yeah No problem i said cant let the rnli down , quick shower , gets changed into tuxedo , puts on tie , jumps in car , stops at a set of traffic lights just down the road ,

Notices thumb nail getting a bit long so bites a bit off ,,
Nail seemed a bit more crunchy than normal ,, looks in rear view mirror & one of my front teeth s just disintegrated completely ,, : 0. xxxxxg ell
As we have an emergency dental kit goes back home to try fix it
At least it i had had it root filled about 20 years ago so there was no pain,
Can't find dental kit wife thinks she might of binned it last year : (
Wife says you can't go like that you look a right xxxx , what you gonna do ?
Trouble was as well as looking like a pirate I could speak right either ,
Bit of deep thinking ,,,? I had just fitted out a new shower room a few days before so goes into the garden finds a bit of old tile ,
out with the angle grinder and fashions a new false tooth to fit
& sticks it back in with some glass fibre resin .

I dident do a bad job as it lasted 2 weeks until I could get to the dentist though she was a bit miffed that the grp clogged up her drill bit
colour wasent a bad match either ,,, good job the tile was a cream coloured one : )
Old 06 August 2013, 23:50   #38

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
It they are not devolving stitches then you need to remove them or soon you'll have puss weeping out of the holes.

Just thinking, do you do seat covers.....
Old 07 August 2013, 00:06   #39
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
It they are not devolving stitches then you need to remove them or soon you'll have puss weeping out of the holes.

Just thinking, do you do seat covers.....
no need to worry - the finger might fall off before the stitches need removed!

S.
Old 07 August 2013, 06:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Not sure how you are defining sterile! The glue would use the water in the bacteria cell to set and so is bacteriacidal. HOWEVER, in the same way as 70% or 90% alcohol solutions aren't sterile because either fungal spores or bacterial spores are resistant to the osmotic effect then cyanoacrilates would be subject to the same issues... ...although I've read that the polymerisation may actually bind in part of the cell which might make it tricky to do much pathogenic. However, according to this study: Antibacterial properties of cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive: Does the polymerization reaction play a role? Romero IL, Malta JB, Silva CB, Mimica LM, Soong KH, Hida RY - Indian J Ophthalmol its not effective against all forms of bacteria ( Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a fairly common pathogen and is found on skin and soil so not unknown in dirty wounds etc. ). Medical grade cyanoacrylates are subjected to additional sterilisation (Gamma or EO) during manufacture.

Cyanoacrilates set in the presence of water -so they will set in the presence of blood no problem but you need the two surfaces to stay in contact - if its bleeding too much the two surfaces wont join the blood will just set the cyanoacrilate. You need to be able to stop the blood 'flowing' while the bond sets.
To many big words for me. I'm talking from experience not on what I read