Old 22 March 2006, 12:03   #11

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
The fact is - there are no such things as accidents - only carelessness and recklessness.

Anything that can be done to reduce the amount of carelessness and recklessness in boating in general is OK by me - and I just hope that sufficient is done to reduce recklessness and carelessness before I personally become the victim of it.

It could just have easily been a family aboard an anchored boat sleeping that they hit and several more people could have died.

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2006, 12:14   #12

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
The fact is - there are no such things as accidents - only carelessness and recklessness....
Oh is that right, how about mistake is that a thing of the past as well
Tell me do your children have accidents and make mistakes or are they just being careless and reckless... .

Old 22 March 2006, 12:18   #13

Kids are careless - nearly every second of the day - that's the fun of being a kid - knowing you can be as careless as you like and someone will be there to pick you up.
Old 22 March 2006, 12:19   #14

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
It could just have easily been a family aboard an anchored boat sleeping that they hit and several more people could have died.
And it could have been a family that was driving home and was hit by a drunk driver, despite all the police and government money spent to stop it.
Andy
Old 22 March 2006, 12:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
And it could have been a family that was driving home and was hit by a drunk driver, despite all the police and government money spent to stop it.
Andy
Are you trying to say that drink driving laws have not reduced the number of alcohol related deaths on the roads.

I for one know loads of people who would drink and drive if it were legal.

Get real...
Old 22 March 2006, 12:27   #16

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
The fact is - there are no such things as accidents - only carelessness and recklessness.
WTF!? Its this kind of attitude that makes this country more like the US every day. Get a grip.

Visiting a company the other week I was gobsmacked at the level of HSE compliance they adhered to, with safety notices telling you about safety notices, endless briefings on what to do and how to do it and H&S policies that were like war and peace. The same day I visited, a member of staff slipped on a wet staircase that had been caused by a leak in the velux window above and knackered her back. There was no carelessness or recklessness, just misfortune.

People need to accept that there is something as bad luck and that accidents can always be minimised with legislation (although never eradicated) but at what cost to our society.
Old 22 March 2006, 12:36   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Are you trying to say that drink driving laws have not reduced the number of alcohol related deaths on the roads.......
The short answer to that is we donít know, the reason we donít know it that we donít know how many people drink and drive and donít get caught
Another thing to bear in mind is that accidents are often recorded as drink related even if it is the victim of the accident who is drunk or if people who are injured have alcohol in there system even if they are not over the limit
Old 22 March 2006, 12:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
WTF!? Its this kind of attitude that makes this country more like the US every day. Get a grip.

Visiting a company the other week I was gobsmacked at the level of HSE compliance they adhered to, with safety notices telling you about safety notices, endless briefings on what to do and how to do it and H&S policies that were like war and peace. The same day I visited, a member of staff slipped on a wet staircase that had been caused by a leak in the velux window above and knackered her back. There was no carelessness or recklessness, just misfortune.

People need to accept that there is something as bad luck and that accidents can always be minimised with legislation (although never eradicated) but at what cost to our society.
You are completely wrong on 2 counts.

1. You have got me wrong - I do not advocate the litigious way that the US has already gone and we are sadly going, at all.

2. The incident described above was absolutely careless - I make a habit of looking where im placing my feet and judging the speed and track that I take when walking based on the terrain that I am walking on. 99.9% of people do this without even knowing that they are doing it. If this woman took it for granted that her footing would be sure and didn't check then she was careless not misfortunate. The carelessness was probably due to her becoming complacent as she had stepped there 100 times before without slipping why should she slip that time.
Old 22 March 2006, 12:53   #19

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
You are completely wrong on 2 counts.

1. You have got me wrong - I do not advocate the litigious way that the US has already gone and we are sadly going, at all.

By advocating that there is no such thing as an accident, by definition you are implying that there is always someone to blame or someone at fault, whether it is you or somebody else. Like it or not, your argument is at the root of the blame and claim culture of this country.

2. The incident described above was absolutely careless - I make a habit of looking where im placing my feet and judging the speed and track that I take when walking based on the terrain that I am walking on. 99.9% of people do this without even knowing that they are doing it. If this woman took it for granted that her footing would be sure and didn't check then she was careless not misfortunate. The carelessness was probably due to her becoming complacent as she had stepped there 100 times before without slipping why should she slip that time.

Fck me Roy, you must be one special human being. I hope you never have a genuine accident, although by the sounds of things, your spatial awareness that the women obviously lacked will see you through.
Old 22 March 2006, 12:55   #20