Old 22 February 2013, 14:50   #1

Town: Widnes
Boat name: Master-Baiter
Make: Europa R520 Sport
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 75hp Optimax
Sea Bass Fishing

Afternoon Gents,

Im looking for advice on Sea Bass fishing!

There must be loads of keen anglers on here to help me out!

I am currently only catching mackerel / gurnard / bull huss / nothing

I need to know what I need to do to catch the lucrative sea bass.

What do I need to look out for on the fishfinder? Ideal depth? Ground? Equipment? Bait? Rig? Season? Weather? Time? ect ect.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to your comments!

I currently have an Abu Garcia 15-30lb Boat rod & reel.

I will be fishing Abersoch/Llanbedrog/Pwllheli and surrounding areas.

Thanks Guys.
Old 22 February 2013, 16:18   #2

Town: N Wales
Make: Southern pacific
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 etec
Ditch that rod and buy a light spinning rod, look for fast moving water, offshore banks are good.
Old 22 February 2013, 16:30   #3

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
light tackle is essential Andy, follow the locals, a good place is by gimlet rock in the summer and further along the beach at Pwllheli towards Llanbedrog, as steve says bass are usually close to shore in the surf,
Old 22 February 2013, 16:31   #4

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
First of all go out with someone who knows how to catch them

If you don't dow anyone then ask on here and see if a few of you can get together I did this with Hightower and caught a ray, lost a bass and got some lovely cod Now we take it in turns for whos boat we take

Use your fish finder to find your fishing area and not the fish, i think you need to look for a bank, there will be different fish at the bottom, half way up and on top. Hightower will tell you where to find bass as I can't remember.

Don't get to caught up in what the guy in the tackle shop says, instead try and find a forum or ask the guys that run trips.

And that brings me onto going out for a charter day, could be money well spent if you learn a lot
Old 22 February 2013, 19:15   #5

Thanks people! Can anybody point me in the direction of a good rod for sea bass fishing? Can I use the same reel? What is the correct method for catching? Which lures are best and how should I rig them?
Old 22 February 2013, 20:10   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhuddy View Post
Thanks people! Can anybody point me in the direction of a good rod for sea bass fishing? Can I use the same reel? What is the correct method for catching? Which lures are best and how should I rig them?
First Off Leave off the 'Sea'...Just BASS will do For inshore Bass Spinning and light Bait fishing-Live Sandeel ect.
You want a Decent double Handed Spinning rod from 7-9' capable of casting 1 to and 1 and a half oz's....Shimano-Diawa-Greys-Penn spring to mind,although there are ALOT of other good makes.
Braid is good,but not essential and 10lb mono will be fine...and cheaper while you learn.
A selection of 'Toby' Spinning Lures coupled with Rapalla Plugs-J-11's and J-13's and maybe some surface Lures,and maybe a few weighted 'Jelly's' too will get you the 'Goods.'
A good medium Fixed Spool reel-properly Loaded will Top it off!
Fish over Rough Ground- Shallow Water, preferabley with a bit of movement-early in the Day,and at Dusk for best results.
Probabley the Best investment you could make at this stage is Dr Mike Ladels 'Book Hooked on Bass' considered the Bible on Bass Fishing,and Back in Print by popular demand!
You could also consider joining B.A.S.S who have a large number of Bass Fanatics!..and have meets Fish-ins and Tutorials.
There is no real Mystery to catching Bass...Just Be in the Right Place,at the RIGHT time,with the Fish on the Feed..and they will take anything!....THE Trick is..(And the Fun!) Learning where the places are,and When to fish them,in what conditions!
Good Luck!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2013, 17:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
First Off Leave off the 'Sea'...Just BASS will do For inshore Bass Spinning and light Bait fishing-Live Sandeel ect.
You want a Decent double Handed Spinning rod from 7-9' capable of casting 1 to and 1 and a half oz's....Shimano-Diawa-Greys-Penn spring to mind,although there are ALOT of other good makes.
Braid is good,but not essential and 10lb mono will be fine...and cheaper while you learn.
A selection of 'Toby' Spinning Lures coupled with Rapalla Plugs-J-11's and J-13's and maybe some surface Lures,and maybe a few weighted 'Jelly's' too will get you the 'Goods.'
A good medium Fixed Spool reel-properly Loaded will Top it off!
Fish over Rough Ground- Shallow Water, preferabley with a bit of movement-early in the Day,and at Dusk for best results.
Probabley the Best investment you could make at this stage is Dr Mike Ladels 'Book Hooked on Bass' considered the Bible on Bass Fishing,and Back in Print by popular demand!
You could also consider joining B.A.S.S who have a large number of Bass Fanatics!..and have meets Fish-ins and Tutorials.
There is no real Mystery to catching Bass...Just Be in the Right Place,at the RIGHT time,with the Fish on the Feed..and they will take anything!....THE Trick is..(And the Fun!) Learning where the places are,and When to fish them,in what conditions!
Good Luck!
Thanks!