Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 November 2005, 16:52   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Sad remains of Rover.

The great British car industry!



http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...read.php?t=208
__________________

__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 17:18   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Makes you wonder just what our wonderfull government is playing at.

In Italy you see most authorities driving around in Fiats - in Germany Merc or BMWs - in France Pugeot's or Renaults.

In Britian the Police seem to love their Mercs - BMWs - Volvos and Pugs - of course money is NO object - a £45,000 Police car - well it's only tax payers money - and why bother to support British workers - much better to send our money to other countries!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 18:56   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 173
Come on Codmeister - Austin Morris BL Rover etc. couldn't make a bloody decent car if their lunch break depended on it. Longbridge has the unenviable reputation of being able to turn out some of the most poorly designed, unbpleasant and unreliable cars in all of Europe. A sodding Ital (marina in drag) nearly killed me in 1980 when all the lights decided to stop working at 70 mph at night on the A34.

Good riddance to crap motors. Thank God for Mercedes and BMW. At least our vanquished opponents remember how to make cars!
__________________
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 19:23   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
What sort of cars were the other makers building in those days?

I have just been helping fix a mates Ford Escort estate yet again - pile of junk - as is his wife's fiesta.

We had a small fleet of Rover 400 turbo diesels - all 1998 S reg - some of the most reliable cars we have ever had. I still have one left that we use as a spare. It has now done 180,000 miles - only trouble in all that time is one CV joint gone - all because the rubber gaiter split. It has had a hard life and is still great to drive!!!

Yes they built some crap in the past - just as many other manufacturers did. They may not have been great cars - but they don't deserve the reputation they have.

My mates wife would not let him buy a Rover so he bought her an S reg Fiesta instead - I know which I would rather drive any day!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 02:42   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Bit grim alright.

Us

(when I first saw the thread I thought you'd lost a beloved collie)
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 03:06   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
We had a small fleet of Rover 400 turbo diesels - all 1998 S reg - some of the most reliable cars we have ever had. I still have one left that we use as a spare. It has now done 180,000 miles - only trouble in all that time is one CV joint gone - all because the rubber gaiter split. It has had a hard life and is still great to drive!!!
I bought my (soon to be at the time) wife a Rover 418... when I say "bought" I mean I hauled it out of my mate “over the road’s” scrap yard...we were both completely broke following divorces.... ... however it only needed a drive shaft and a bloody good clean and she was mobile again.... She had it for a couple of years and then we passed it down to my little sister when we had enough money to "up grade" it ended its days with about 250,000 on the clock and was as reliable ..and exciting..as Terry Wogan..…..








…mind you… it did have the Peugeot engine…..
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 09:00   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I bought my (soon to be at the time) wife a Rover 418... when I say "bought" I mean I hauled it out of my mate “over the road’s” scrap yard...we were both completely broke following divorces.... ... however it only needed a drive shaft and a bloody good clean and she was mobile again.... She had it for a couple of years and then we passed it down to my little sister when we had enough money to "up grade" it ended its days with about 250,000 on the clock and was as reliable ..and exciting..as Terry Wogan..…..

…mind you… it did have the Peugeot engine…..
Yes the old 418 diesel was a Pug but the 2l diesel was all Rover's own design - bloody good engine as well - was used in the Freelander but then they decided to use the BMW engine for some strange reason - LR came to regret that decision because when the Freelander sales really took off BMW engines were in short supply.

Granted the Rovers aren't exactly "sporting" but then again are things like Mondeos - Escorts - Fiestas - earlier Vectras etc etc
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 09:15   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes the old 418 diesel was a Pug but the 2l diesel was all Rover's own design - bloody good engine as well - was used in the Freelander but then they decided to use the BMW engine for some strange reason - LR came to regret that decision because when the Freelander sales really took off BMW engines were in short supply.

Granted the Rovers aren't exactly "sporting" but then again are things like Mondeos - Escorts - Fiestas - earlier Vectras etc etc
Don't forget the lovely K series (I think) that they put in the 1.8 petrol Freelanders. I have such fond memories of the engine being written off after 18000 miles.
__________________
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 09:39   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan
Don't forget the lovely K series (I think) that they put in the 1.8 petrol Freelanders. I have such fond memories of the engine being written off after 18000 miles.
The engine itself is great - used in Caterham 7s and Lotus Elises. Also used in many Hondas without any problems at all - apparently the problems only started when BMW started interfering at Powertrain - the factory where the engines were made!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 11:22   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

We had a small fleet of
Rover 400 turbo diesels - all 1998 S reg - some of the most reliable cars we have ever had. I still have one left that we use as a spare. It has now done 180,000 miles - only trouble in all that time is one CV joint gone - all because the rubber gaiter split. It has had a hard life and is still great to drive!!!
That's 'cos the body/chassis is mostly Honda and the lump is a Peugot nobba.
__________________

__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.