Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 November 2005, 12:17   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
That's 'cos the body/chassis is mostly Honda and the lump is a Peugot nobba.

Engine is NOT a Peugeot - can't you READ???? Body is NOT a Honda - and it does NOT have a chassis - and you call ME nobba???
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 12:37   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 173
Sad Remains of Rover...

sounds like a tale about an rheumy eyed old labrador that was kept going well past his due date by misplaced kindness; friends and visitors ingnoring the increasing arthritis and frequest mistakes on the carpet...

I remember my pride when I took delivery of a brand new SD1 3.5 in 1988 and my subsequent surprise when all the paint fell off. Ah happy days.
__________________

__________________
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 12:40   #13
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Engine is NOT a Peugeot - can't you READ???? Body is NOT a Honda - and it does NOT have a chassis - and you call ME nobba???
Oooo touchy touchy. Bad day at scho..sorry the office? Nobba is a term of respect and affection my boy!!!!!! And try not to use too many punctuations marks!!!!!

Well, how do I start. Right, I have out the back of my house a Rover 400 1998. The body and suspension components are designed by Honda who use the same (or very similar)body and comes directly from when they owned the marque (or part of it). the engine is most definitely a Peugot. Please prove otherwise conclusively. Discuss.

And now you have lost the right to be called Nobba by using too many punctuation marks in one paragraph I shall have to call you a Mush. Now a Mush is also sort of a compliment as it signifies a native of Southampton. Now clearly you claim to come from some place called Wales and so are not entitled to be called a straight Mush so we would have to grant you the honourable title of Mush preceeded by your area of origin. Because you claim to be Welsh presumably you're therefore a Taff so, you would be a TaffMush or TaffyMush.

Simple really.
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 12:41   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
I remember my pride when I took delivery of a brand new SD1 3.5 in 1988 and my subsequent surprise when all the paint fell off. Ah happy days.

I'd have asked for my money back...... considering it must have been nearly 2 years old when you got it "new"....
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 12:43   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I'd have asked for my money back...... considering it must have been nearly 2 years old when you got it "new"....
Err... right - good point. I seem to recall it was in 1978.

The older I get the better I was...
__________________
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 13:02   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Oooo touchy touchy. Bad day at scho..sorry the office? Nobba is a term of respect and affection my boy!!!!!! And try not to use too many punctuations marks!!!!!

Well, how do I start. Right, I have out the back of my house a Rover 400 1998. The body and suspension components are designed by Honda who use the same (or very similar)body and comes directly from when they owned the marque (or part of it). the engine is most definitely a Peugot. Please prove otherwise conclusively. Discuss.

And now you have lost the right to be called Nobba by using too many punctuation marks in one paragraph I shall have to call you a Mush. Now a Mush is also sort of a compliment as it signifies a native of Southampton. Now clearly you claim to come from some place called Wales and so are not entitled to be called a straight Mush so we would have to grant you the honourable title of Mush preceeded by your area of origin. Because you claim to be Welsh presumably you're therefore a Taff so, you would be a TaffMush or TaffyMush.

Simple really.

Ok you are forgiven.....

If the Rover is a 1.8 diesel it IS a Pug engine. Ours were the newer 2L diesels which are 105bhp as standard - not bad for 1998 - the engine is known as the L series and was all Rover's own work.
Yes the bodywork and other components were based on a Honda design but there was a lot of 2 way talk and various improvements/changes were made.
The fact that the cars haven't rusted or fallen apart is down to the build team more than anything else. and they WERE built by Rover.

As to calling me Mush that is very interesting.

In Swansea it is used extensively - I am really suprised to know it is also used in Southampton. In fact it is specific to certain areas of Swansea - the roughest parts of all. Blaenymais - Townhill - Penlan - the car crime capital of the whole world!!!

The contrast in certain areas of swansea is incredible - some areas are incredibly upmarket with 1 million houses - others are like the Wild West!!!

There was actually a fantastic song done which sums up the people who call each other Mush - it was called townhill rap or "Oi Mush" - REALLY funny.

In Cardiff they tend to call each other "Butt" - short for "Butty" and in Newport/Bristol it is "flo" short for "flower"!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 13:02   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Beaten to it...
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 13:07   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/p/paul...sh1078134.html

Oi mush lyrics by Paul Allen

Can be found on various file swapping sites

REALLY funny song and very well done - was actually popular around the clubs in Ibiza etc last year!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 14:39   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Ok you are forgiven.....

If the Rover is a 1.8 diesel it IS a Pug engine. Ours were the newer 2L diesels which are 105bhp as standard - not bad for 1998 - the engine is known as the L series and was all Rover's own work.
Yes the bodywork and other components were based on a Honda design but there was a lot of 2 way talk and various improvements/changes were made.
The fact that the cars haven't rusted or fallen apart is down to the build team more than anything else. and they WERE built by Rover.

As to calling me Mush that is very interesting.

In Swansea it is used extensively - I am really suprised to know it is also used in Southampton. In fact it is specific to certain areas of Swansea - the roughest parts of all. Blaenymais - Townhill - Penlan - the car crime capital of the whole world!!!

The contrast in certain areas of swansea is incredible - some areas are incredibly upmarket with 1 million houses - others are like the Wild West!!!

There was actually a fantastic song done which sums up the people who call each other Mush - it was called townhill rap or "Oi Mush" - REALLY funny.

In Cardiff they tend to call each other "Butt" - short for "Butty" and in Newport/Bristol it is "flo" short for "flower"!!!
Now that IS interesting. I thought mush peculiar to Soton. OK, here's a challenge. Apart from the obvious (and dubious) eskimo term for "I say chaps would you mind awfully getting up, stop crapping and tow my sledge" I wonder where it's origins are, as it is in much wider use than I supposed. Sooo, whaddya say TaffMushButtFlo? Blimey, that's actually got a ring to it if you say it quickly.....
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 14:57   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Apparently it is also used by Cockneys and is derived from the Romany word for man but nobody really seems to know.

What amazes me is how some words are specific to certain parts of the country or even certain parts of cities - 70% of the people in Swansea would NEVER use the term - it is considered very "common".

The people who call each other Mush around here also have a distinct accent of their own and also call people "me old mukka" - to be honest most of them are also the dregs of society!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.