Old 21 June 2006, 18:17   #21

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I actually know someone that this happened to, and it was also in a BMW but a 5-series. They were in France and coming to the end of a toll road and the car just wouldn't slow down. I can't remember exactly what happened but I think he had to drive off the road to stop it. I have a feeling that turning the ignition off didn't actually kill the engine. They aren't idiots either, the driver was early 50's. It was an automatic which probably makes a difference cos you can't just knock it out of gear.
Old 21 June 2006, 18:31   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I actually know someone that this happened to, and it was also in a BMW but a 5-series. They were in France and coming to the end of a toll road and the car just wouldn't slow down. I can't remember exactly what happened but I think he had to drive off the road to stop it. I have a feeling that turning the ignition off didn't actually kill the engine. They aren't idiots either, the driver was early 50's. It was an automatic which probably makes a difference cos you can't just knock it out of gear.
You can put it into neutral though. Or you can with a normal auto box - God knows what the modern ones will let you/not let you do!!!
Old 21 June 2006, 19:28   #23

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
You can put my D3 from drive to neutral with out taking your foot off the gas!
It will just rev up to the limiter, tried it after I heard about a D3 that was stuck with the cures control on!
Old 22 June 2006, 12:17   #24

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
You can put my D3 from drive to neutral with out taking your foot off the gas!
It will just rev up to the limiter, tried it after I heard about a D3 that was stuck with the cures control on!
Yeah, but if the cruise control has 'jammed' on because of an electronic malfunction, and the gearbox is electrically linked by wire and not mechanical linkage/cable then there probably isn't much you can do if the car brain is saying accelerate accelerate and won't listen to the commands of the driver!
Old 22 June 2006, 12:46   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Yeah, but if the cruise control has 'jammed' on because of an electronic malfunction, and the gearbox is electrically linked by wire and not mechanical linkage/cable then there probably isn't much you can do if the car brain is saying accelerate accelerate and won't listen to the commands of the driver!
That is when you realise you should never have bought a BMW!!!