Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 May 2007, 03:41   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Make em pay . If they need a rescue because they get cut off by the tide or do something stupid .

As for the helicopter Iam not kocking the local air ambulance they do a fine job , but last year one of my nieghbours broke his leg in the snow on the moors at the top of our village . I was doing my best to keep him warm etc but it took nearly an hour to get the helicopter there becuse they couldn't fly in the poor weather , ie heavy snow . he ended up with hypothermia , but a worse injury could have resulted in death.
If the private services are unable to fly for similar reasons then the rescue capability will be compromised . Nothing seems to stop the forces from flying , Iam not criticising thier ability but regulations and rules are often too strict .
Ian - the problem with charging for rescue services is that it puts people off calling for help - so instead of calling the CG and getting a professional rescue at an early stage people wait until things spiral out of control (or become too late all together).

And as for flying in adverse weather - there are certainly some conditions when even the RAF/RN helis cannot opperate. But the main helicopter rescue services for the western isles, and the shetlands are operated by the CG's private contractor - and I haven't heard any criticism of them being restricted unnecessarily by weather.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 05:07   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 765
Signed

Not sure I'll ever understand public sector spending priorities . . .
__________________

__________________
www.allgadgets.co.uk
Tel 01395 227727
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 05:35   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
As for the helicopter Iam not kocking the local air ambulance they do a fine job , but last year one of my nieghbours broke his leg in the snow on the moors at the top of our village . I was doing my best to keep him warm etc but it took nearly an hour to get the helicopter there becuse they couldn't fly in the poor weather , ie heavy snow . he ended up with hypothermia , but a worse injury could have resulted in death.
If the private services are unable to fly for similar reasons then the rescue capability will be compromised . Nothing seems to stop the forces from flying , Iam not criticising thier ability but regulations and rules are often too strict .
A lot of this may be down to the helicopter - all the air ambulances I have seen have been small / lightweight 'commercial' helicopters - I would imagine the operational envelope on this type of helo will be considerably smaller than that for the 'military spec' helicopters flown by the RN, RAF and CG.

Chris
__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 07:12   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
A lot of this may be down to the helicopter - all the air ambulances I have seen have been small / lightweight 'commercial' helicopters - I would imagine the operational envelope on this type of helo will be considerably smaller than that for the 'military spec' helicopters flown by the RN, RAF and CG.

Chris
It is down to the fact the air ambulance service is a charity with very little funding. Of course they manage to find money for Police helicopters that are a total waste of time. We do NOT have many cities like Los Angeles and yet they find the need to copy the Yanks as usual.

Police helicopters cost millions to run and yet what good are they - chasing a joyrider in a car worth 200 doesn't make much sense.

I know someone who used to fly on one of the Welsh Police helicopters and believe me the number of serious incidence they are used on is tiny - and yet every hour they are in the air they cost us 5,000 - that would provide a lot more coppers on the ground where they are really needed.......
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 08:00   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Police helicopters cost millions to run and yet what good are they - chasing a joyrider in a car worth 200 doesn't make much sense.
Yes but a 200 car being driven by someone at high speed and probably with little regard for anyone else is likely to kill someone in the end...

...unfettered joy riders will continue to nick cars every night until its either your car that gets nicked/damaged or your loved one that gets hurt/killed.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 08:09   #26
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Afraid the cuts in the RN go deaper than just the SAR lads. They are now removing dive teams from ships. So if a warship gets a net around the props or rudders then its off to the nearest port and call out a commerical diving contractor to sort it out

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 08:17   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Yes but a 200 car being driven by someone at high speed and probably with little regard for anyone else is likely to kill someone in the end...

...unfettered joy riders will continue to nick cars every night until its either your car that gets nicked/damaged or your loved one that gets hurt/killed.
They tend not to do that unless they are being chased. Joyriding is rapidly dying out. There are very few of the older cars left on the roads now and they can't nick the new ones unless they get hold of the keys.

Swansea used to be the car crime capital of the UK. Car theft is now down by a huge amount - of course the local Police and council claim all the credit but it's down to the better immobilisers etc. One of my best mates used to be an autoelectrician and he reckons very few cars made after 1998 are nickable. Even with the correct wiring diagrams and a well equipped workshop it can take 8 hours to get around some of the security systems.

I used to go mountain biking around the regular Swansea dumping ground - the sort of cars that turn up there are things like Metros - old Astras and Fiestas - old Escorts and even a Volvo 240 estate - you just don't see many cars like that around any more!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 08:19   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Afraid the cuts in the RN go deaper than just the SAR lads. They are now removing dive teams from ships. So if a warship gets a net around the props or rudders then its off to the nearest port and call out a commerical diving contractor to sort it out

Pete
Are you serious? That is insane. What happens if a rudder jams or worse a launch capsizes during ship to ship transfer? People die!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 09:14   #29
Member
 
Simon B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,621
Saving money is ok but it does lead to skills not being retained. Eventually you end up with a service that is not fit for purpose...it's all sounding so familiar.

Contarcting out to civilains again ok, but there isnt a remit for them to go to war. Nor is there the backup of equipment in reserve, though I do doubt now how much kit we have in reserve.

Time for Gordon to prove us all wrong with actions not words
__________________
New boat is here, very happy!
Simon
www.luec.org
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 09:36   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
at the end of the day many of the cg aircrew are ex military and they are all highly trained-they dont just employ copter pilots who have trained to fly a taxi service back and forth to oil rigs all day long. Has anybody any actual complaints or criticisms of how the current CG helicopters have been run? Or any instances where their commitment/bravery/skill/performance has been called into question? I doubt it.
__________________

__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.