Click Here to Login

Old 05 October 2010, 19:10   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Rocket propelled lifesaving device

This is an interesting lifesaving unit-From Australia

GRENADES are not exactly synonymous with life-saving, but they have inspired a young Sydney designer to create an award-winning device that could save swimmers from drowning.
Sam Adeloju's design, named Longreach, with the unofficial name ''Buoyancy Bazooka'', shoots an emergency flotation device 150 metres out to sea. Made from hydrophobic foam, the buoy can expand up to 40 times its size on contact with water so the swimmer can stay afloat without risk the buoy will spring a leak. The device is also equipped with flares for night-time.
The idea came to Mr Adeloju during Army Reserve training, when his instructors demonstrated grenade and flare launchers. He also took the idea of adding a whistle from a popular toy called a Vortex.

''I realised how ineffective a [standard] life ring would be if the drowning victim was a great distance from their rescuer.
''In my research I found a lot of surf-rescue teams ended up putting themselves in danger. I wanted to give them something that gave them time to assess the situation properly.''
After observing the grenade launchers in action, Mr Adeloju thought of ways he could improve on previous designs.
''Existing launch devices use compressed air and only have a range of 60 metres. My system spins as it travels through the air, which makes it easier to spot. It's the difference between a basketball and a bullet.''
The Longreach has a lightweight styrofoam casing, meaning if it hits a swimmer it is like ''being hit with a paper cup full of water'', he said.
Last night Mr Adeloju won the $16,000 James Dyson Award, which is named after the British designer of bagless vacuum cleaners and bladeless fans. Included in his prize is a trip to the Dyson laboratories in Britain. The University of NSW, where he studies engineering, will also receive $16,000.
Mr Adeloju, the first Australian to win the award in its five years, is in talks with Surf Life Saving Australia about conducting field trials, but winning the prize will give the Longreach international exposure.
''They're [Surf Life Saving Australia] keen to get some money to do further testing and maybe get it into production,'' he said.
Mr Dyson said the Longreach was a ''smart solution to a very real problem. A product's functionality couldn't be more important when it's used to save someone's life."

http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/Proje...t.aspx?ID=1010
Old 05 October 2010, 19:41   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Looks a decent peice of kit
Old 06 October 2010, 15:50   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
My system spins as it travels through the air, which makes it easier to spot. It's the difference between a basketball and a bullet.''
Basketball, not spinning, is a hell of a lot easier to see than bullet...

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure our Homeland Security guys are going to like it...

jky
Old 07 October 2010, 09:15   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
As all the pictures are graphical renders it looks like this hasn't even got to the prototype stage yet.

I like the idea of the expanding life ring, but can't imagine that this thing will be usably accurate at anything approaching 150 metres!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	longreach.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	54766  
Old 07 October 2010, 09:24   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I like the idea of the expanding life ring, but can't imagine that this thing will be usably accurate at anything approaching 150 metres!
You'd be surprised...

Maybe they'll develop a "Shriek-seeking" version for civvie use?
Old 07 October 2010, 12:13   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You'd be surprised...

Maybe they'll develop a "Shriek-seeking" version for civvie use?
No doubt!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote