Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 14 June 2010, 16:46   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
RNLI Charity- anyone involved?

I have been trying to obtain charity collection tins for the RNLI as I wish to collect from clients after charters and have also done the same for Help the Heroes. I called both charities main telephone numbers and Help for Heroes immediately talked me through how to collect for them and sent through two collection tins and re-seals with banking details which are on the boats

BUT

The RNLI however asked me to call my local SE East number which I did and I spoke to someone I thought was helpful and they would get their local agent to call me. Nothing has been heard since. I have started Help for Heroes but now have e mailed RNLI HQ asking for an update and why the delay when I was happy to start collecting.
Has anyone else found this with the RNLI or have I been unlucky, I feel I want to offer support due to my charter side but if they dont want my help I can go elsewhere, Cancer charities etc. Any ideas?
Old 14 June 2010, 16:59   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I have been trying to obtain charity collection tins for the RNLI as I wish to collect from clients after charters and have also done the same for Help the Heroes. I called both charities main telephone numbers and Help for Heroes immediately talked me through how to collect for them and sent through two collection tins and re-seals with banking details which are on the boats

BUT

The RNLI however asked me to call my local SE East number which I did and I spoke to someone I thought was helpful and they would get their local agent to call me. Nothing has been heard since. I have started Help for Heroes but now have e mailed RNLI HQ asking for an update and why the delay when I was happy to start collecting.
Has anyone else found this with the RNLI or have I been unlucky, I feel I want to offer support due to my charter side but if they dont want my help I can go elsewhere, Cancer charities etc. Any ideas?
How about the Independents RYDE ,Solent , Sandown and Shanklin, Gaffirs , Freshwater they all need help as well.
Ta Tim
Old 14 June 2010, 17:00   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
How about the Independents RYDE ,Solent , Sandown and Shanklin, Gaffirs , Freshwater they all need help as well.
Ta Tim
Great idea Tim. do they have a similar set up for collections?
Old 14 June 2010, 17:06   #4

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Sure if you contacted them all you could have a collection tin where you divide it up among them all, or nominate one and ask them for a collection tin .
You could change it year on year .
Ta
Tim
Old 14 June 2010, 17:11   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Try your local or nearest rnli branch or station branch ,they will have a nominated box secetary that should be able to give you one ,and empty it for you every few months or whenever you feel its getting full and they will give you a recipt for the money raised .
Old 14 June 2010, 17:14   #6

Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
01825 761466 give that number a call, and ask to speak with the person who deals with fundraising...
Old 14 June 2010, 18:16   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'll second Tim's suggestion. The money you raise will mean so much more to GAFIRS than it would to the RNLI.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:24   #8

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
FAO Ian

Hi Ian

My name's Becky and I work for the RNLI. I'm really sorry to hear you've had such difficulty in getting hold of collection tins and may I say thanks so much for thinking of us.

I've just had a chat to our regional fundraising office in your area; if you could send me your contact details, one of them will call you straight away and arrange for your local branch to deliver some collection tins as soon as possible.

Please accept my apologies for this delay and lack of communication. I hope to hear from you.

Very best wishes,
Becky (RNLI HQ)
Old 16 June 2010, 11:46   #9

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
Ello Ian,

I wholeheartedly agree with Tim and the rest, give it to the indies, trust me, 100% of the donation given goes directly into the front line operation of the service.

I should know, have served for one of them for near on 10 years.

Do a different one each year!

Clockwise;
Hamble Lifeboat,
GAFIRS,
Ryde Rescue,
Portsea Rescue,
Sandown and Shanklin Inshore Lifeboat,
Freshwater Lifeboat,
Solent Rescue,
Stanswood Rescue.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:51   #10
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Hi Ian

My name's Becky and I work for the RNLI. I'm really sorry to hear you've had such difficulty in getting hold of collection tins and may I say thanks so much for thinking of us.

I've just had a chat to our regional fundraising office in your area; if you could send me your contact details, one of them will call you straight away and arrange for your local branch to deliver some collection tins as soon as possible.

Please accept my apologies for this delay and lack of communication. I hope to hear from you.

Very best wishes,
Becky (RNLI HQ)
Becky, thank you for the offer of help, I have to say and do not like doing so, that the RNLI responses have been appalling. I have phoned two offices even e mailed the HQ and asked for an update, I received a notice stating the e mail was received and as yet nothing.

I am a small boat operator and a true friend to the RNLI and do collect and spend towards the service. My requests were easy to deal with yet the processes have failed and as such I am very likely to now collect for the independent lifeboats as well as Help for Heroes.

The processes you have in place have failed and these are areas that should be resolved as I have lost confidence in the adminstration NOT the crews and equipment.
Sorry but being frank sometimes might actually resolve the issues.

I relation to your offer for help I will await to see how long it actually takes to resolve.

Regards Ian
Old 16 June 2010, 12:57   #11

Town: Poole
FAO Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Becky, thank you for the offer of help, I have to say and do not like doing so, that the RNLI responses have been appalling. I have phoned two offices even e mailed the HQ and asked for an update, I received a notice stating the e mail was received and as yet nothing.

I am a small boat operator and a true friend to the RNLI and do collect and spend towards the service. My requests were easy to deal with yet the processes have failed and as such I am very likely to now collect for the independent lifeboats as well as Help for Heroes.

The processes you have in place have failed and these are areas that should be resolved as I have lost confidence in the adminstration NOT the crews and equipment.
Sorry but being frank sometimes might actually resolve the issues.

I relation to your offer for help I will await to see how long it actually takes to resolve.

Regards Ian
Ian, I can completely understand your frustrations and please don't apologise for being frank - it's extremely valuable feedback; I will make sure that I feed back to the teams involved in processing your enquiries and stress the problems you encountered, to hopefully make sure that others don't experience the same in future.

Please be assured that we are extremely grateful for your continued support and I wish your all the best in your fundraising efforts for the independent lifeboats and Help For Heroes, two equally worthwhile causes.

Please feel free to contact me directly at becky_king@rnli.org.uk should you wish to, and I will persue the matter for you personally. I will be on leave from Tuesday 22 to Monday 28 June but during this time our Supporter Care helpline will be able to help (I will make them aware of your concerns) - you can reach that team on 0845 121 4999.

Very best wishes and many thanks for your feedback,
Becky
Old 19 June 2010, 21:17   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
Ello Ian,

I wholeheartedly agree with Tim and the rest, give it to the indies, trust me, 100% of the donation given goes directly into the front line operation of the service.

I should know, have served for one of them for near on 10 years.

Do a different one each year!

Clockwise;
Hamble Lifeboat,
GAFIRS,
Ryde Rescue,
Portsea Rescue,
Sandown and Shanklin Inshore Lifeboat,
Freshwater Lifeboat,
Solent Rescue,
Stanswood Rescue.
A great idea, but I'd put GAFIRS at the top of the list, then 3rd, then 5th

If you fancy helping the indies let me know and I'll let you have the contact details for GAFIRS and others.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2010, 08:36   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hamble Point
Boat name: Red Eye
Make: Ribeye 785 Sport
Engine: Yamaha 300HP BETX
MMSI: 235082425/235905837
Any update?
Old 25 June 2010, 13:53   #14
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jaguar View Post
Any update?
Well the RNLI came alive and I received several calls and then two different sources, the local guy and the national office sent me collection tins. I did drop GAFIRS a message but surprisingly they have not returned my call and as I have been busy I have not chased it so that will be done today.