Old 12 January 2004, 13:37   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
RIB TEC Gossip!!!

Just heard from AN EXTREMELY RELIABLE SOURCE (not my mates in SAfrica) that PRESTIGE in South Africa manufactures either some or all of RIB TEC's boats.

Nothing wrong with that as many of the SAfrican RIBs are realy great built boats.

Just thought that it was interesting news!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2004, 13:41   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Ribtec

Ribtec as we all know is now part of Rib-eye so i guess it was inevitable that production would move down to S.A. eventually.
Old 12 January 2004, 13:44   #3

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Very true ribraff.
Old 12 January 2004, 13:53   #4

Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
Ribtec

Manos
you are correct, ribtec confirmed all hulls and tubes being built in SA. Fitted out in UK
All SA work being quality controlled on site in SA by UK guys.
Ed
Old 12 January 2004, 16:02   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Sounds like Ribtec are following the proper route to utilising lowcost manufacturing countries - take the Uk/European quality control processes and standards and implement them in the low cost manufacturing area.

D'ya reckon Falcon have equally as strong QC processs?

Old 12 January 2004, 16:14   #6

Alan ........ and you believe all that. DO YOU!!!

I will not publicly say what I think about these so called 'high quality control standards' that are advertised here, there and every where.

A visit to South Africa in some of these places will show you exactly what these words mean! (in most cases mean NOTHING!!! or JS as someone I know in the boat building industry said to me when we met at the LBS)

FALCON as far as I know from 1st hand experience build very good, strong, competitively priced, high quality finished RIBs.

That is good enough for me!
Old 12 January 2004, 16:26   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Yes they do make a range of boats in SA give em a bit of time and I am sure that a Ribtec will be every bit as good as a Ribeye.

For example if people are selling a secondhand Ribeye they go to great lengths to point out it was a pre SA boat

Manos, when will you ever shut up!, The people on this Forum in the most are bright enough to see that there are problems with at least your Falcon boat. Until you and your buddies in Falcon stand up and say yeah we have problems with QC but they are now resolved the perception won't be altered and the stigma will stay.

I would like to think that maybe with enough stick from this Forum then Falcon would improve their QC. But I have done my bit and congratulations on being the first person to be put on my ignore list
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2004, 16:29   #8

Did I tred on someones tail

OHHHHHHH I am sorry

Old 12 January 2004, 18:32   #9

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
Alan ........ and you believe all that. DO YOU!!!

Well Manos I do actually - as a principle it is the only way to go about moving production of anything to a low labour cost country. I say as a principle because whilst I freely confess to not being an expert on boat construction, I do know something about manufacturing and outsourcing to low cost countries. I commented on a thread about ICOM that I would not view the fact that electronics are manufactured in China as a stigma - nor would I believe that just because a RIB is manufactured in South Africa the build quality neccessarily is poor. I have no personal knowledge whether Ribtec are going about things in the way that I would, but as another poster stated that they have moved their QC people out to help set up the operation in SA they at least seem to be on the right track!

FALCON as far as I know from 1st hand experience build very good, strong, competitively priced, high quality finished RIBs. [/B]

That is good enough for me!
I'm pleased thats good enough for you but beyond that I don't really care. You were the one that posted a picture that in your eyes illustrated good build quality but in the eyes of the many others, amateurs and professionals alike seemed to be just the opposite. I wish you many hours of continued enjoyment in your Falcon. But maybe you might accept that others have different views to yourself?

This thread seems to have been inspired by a desire to say "hey if ribtecs are built in SA then Falcons must be good as well." Errm no sorry don't buy it.

ATB,
Alan
Old 12 January 2004, 18:58   #10

No Alan you are mistkaen. It was something a friend told me and thought that people may wanted to know.
Old 12 January 2004, 18:59   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
To back Alan's comments up you'd buy a bit of Sony kit whether it was made in Slough, Senegal or Shanghai cos you know the high standard of QC is going to be the same wherever it was assembled.

China is an interesting country with a highly educated and willing work force. It will be interesting to see what comes out of there soon
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2004, 19:14   #12

Did I say anything baout SONY??