Old 19 June 2003, 06:11   #11
Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Personally I donít rate RIB International that highly and have only bought it in the past for topics covered by Tony Lee Elliot as his topics are informative and full of the experience that he has gained over the years.

I personally think RIBs have got much bigger than RIB International can provide a service to in its current state and also the fact that some topics havent been and never get covered which are important and things like 4x4s are put there, do not make it fit in with the real RIB enthusiast. For example I noticed RIB International did not once cover Alan and crews world record attempt where every other magazine to do with boats did. This in my opinion means that the topics covered are more to do with the editors choice than the peoples choice. RIBbing is much greater than one man.

I have done my voting by not buying the mag any more, however, I do sneak a quick peak at TLEs articles when I am in the news agent.

DepSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2003, 15:28   #12
Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Must admit as a relative novice to the world of ribbing, I get much more from reading posts on here than I do from reading Rib Int.

There are some interesting bits, but mainly for the guys in the £20k+ rib market.

I know it ain't PBO, but a few more 'down market' items... like a comparison of hand held VHF's, GPS's or similar would be useful.

Also how's about a 'regional news' section. There seem to be a few budding columnists on here?

Tax is paid by mortals
whitingiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2003, 02:05   #13
Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Rib International

Hi Guy's

I know this is a little of track but still relavant I think.

IMHO I have now read a couple of copies of R.I. If you are in the top end of the rib market fine, but there is also a vast number of ribsters who make up the bulk of the ribbing community who are normal working class people and not in the industry.

I enjoy reading about new developments, but would also like to see practical information, like passage, planning, places to visit, tidal calculation refreshers. How to use a gps corectly; high speed navigation not at 5 knots, perhaps basic for some, A usefull reminder for others. Especially as the growth in this sector of the boating industry is booming.

I know it will always be difficult to cater for the masses, but please lets see a good magazine become better. And not surcome to the wims of the Editor or his staff.

Aging Youth
Aging Youth is offline   Reply With Quote