Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 17 June 2003, 06:12   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
< This was in response to this thread about tow vehicles.
I've split the thread to keep the two subjects separate JK >

Hmmmmmmmm

Funny thing is, remember a certain thread about Rib International magazine a while back. I seem to remember a lot of critisism about it having too many roads tests of 4 x 4 vehicles, saying this was of no interest!

Somehow from reading this thread I can't quite agree with that

Keith (stir, stir) Hart
Old 17 June 2003, 06:27   #2

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Aaaah, but Keith, that was cos we all knew that...

(a) it was a cheap way for that rag to get free loan cars and
(b) the content was about as objective as my view on laws for boat owners.

This is totally different. These guys are well informed and write from the heart.
Old 17 June 2003, 06:32   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quite right, Mike.

If you don't want to read this thread, then you don't have to... but every 4x4 review in R.I. cost each one of us 17p a go.
Old 18 June 2003, 07:56   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Giraffe Syndrome

I usually stick my neck out, so why change a habit of a life-time.
I seem to recall not too long ago this forum was swamped by posts slating Rib International for covering this very subject. There were moans all around castigating Hugo and his staff, 'How can they cover tow-vehicles in a Rib Magazine?' Now, here we have a web-site dedicated to our wonderful craft with the exact same subject. Postings galore! Double standards methinks?!!
I think it is great to use whatever media is available to advise, comment and possibly assist us all in making better choices in our purchases for anything relating to Ribs - I rest my case, and will shut up now.
Old 18 June 2003, 08:33   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
We know that you are RIB International's number one fan, but keep up! Read the whole thread and you'll see we've already been there

Double standards don't come into it. What people want from a magazine obviously differes from what they want to see on a web site. A bit of chat on a web site (31 posts out of a total of 22,395 at last count) is quite different to including several pages of manufacturer's blurb in each edition of a paid for magazine!

John
Old 18 June 2003, 10:08   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
We know that you are RIB International's number one fan, but keep up!
John
Hey John
You should get a chip on your other shoulder so that you can even things out a bit. I simply try and foster good relations with everyone to make the sport/hobby more enjoyable for all. Its easy to take potshots at everyone all the time. I would defend Ribnet just the same.
Old 18 June 2003, 10:29   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
No chip on my shoulder!
Quote:
I would defend Ribnet just the same.
RIBnet doesn't need defending. Nor does RIB International. They both stand or fall by their content.

You think RIB International is great as it is. Lots of people seem to think that there is room for improvement. It has not been attacked, but there has certainly been some honest critiscism. Judging by the recent changes to the magazine this feedback appears to have been quite useful.

This seems to me a more productive way of benefiting ribbing!

John
Old 18 June 2003, 13:19   #8

Last Word

Old 18 June 2003, 19:50   #9

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Charles, try this one for size.

I have said, more than frequently, that RIB international is rubbish. I only do this because I understand the dynamics of publishing niche market magazines.

I have never met your good friend Hugo (other than an encounter in some hotel the morning of his 2001 show when I spoke to him at the breakfast self-serve counter of the hotel in which we were both staying (he won't remember me - I had the advantage of knowing who he was and he hadn't a clue who I am - why should he?)).

So, Charles, for what it it's worth, arrange an intro between us- face to face - and free, gratis and for nothing, I will tell Hugo how to secure the RIB publishing market before someone else steals it from under his nose.

As pretentious as that sounds, I would like just to add that I phoned him a few years back before I owned a RIB myself and asked him if he would like to sell RIB International to me. Understandably he said "no". I would have said the same thing, too. The mag is his life; without it he hasn't got a job.

Nonetheless, Hugo needs to understand is that he is dead vulnerable. Probably a hell of a sight more than he thinks. The RIB market has now grown to the point that it is attractive to a mainstream playing publisher. He needs to be scared and he needs to react.

Fast.
Old 18 June 2003, 22:35   #10

I'll PM you or e-mail, Cheers Mike.
Old 19 June 2003, 11:11   #11

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Personally I don’t rate RIB International that highly and have only bought it in the past for topics covered by Tony Lee Elliot as his topics are informative and full of the experience that he has gained over the years.

I personally think RIBs have got much bigger than RIB International can provide a service to in its current state and also the fact that some topics havent been and never get covered which are important and things like 4x4s are put there, do not make it fit in with the real RIB enthusiast. For example I noticed RIB International did not once cover Alan and crews world record attempt where every other magazine to do with boats did. This in my opinion means that the topics covered are more to do with the editors choice than the peoples choice. RIBbing is much greater than one man.

I have done my voting by not buying the mag any more, however, I do sneak a quick peak at TLEs articles when I am in the news agent.
Old 19 June 2003, 20:28   #12

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Must admit as a relative novice to the world of ribbing, I get much more from reading posts on here than I do from reading Rib Int.

There are some interesting bits, but mainly for the guys in the £20k+ rib market.

I know it ain't PBO, but a few more 'down market' items... like a comparison of hand held VHF's, GPS's or similar would be useful.

Also how's about a 'regional news' section. There seem to be a few budding columnists on here?

Jon
Old 20 June 2003, 07:05   #13

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Rib International

Hi Guy's

I know this is a little of track but still relavant I think.

IMHO I have now read a couple of copies of R.I. If you are in the top end of the rib market fine, but there is also a vast number of ribsters who make up the bulk of the ribbing community who are normal working class people and not in the industry.

I enjoy reading about new developments, but would also like to see practical information, like passage, planning, places to visit, tidal calculation refreshers. How to use a gps corectly; high speed navigation not at 5 knots, perhaps basic for some, A usefull reminder for others. Especially as the growth in this sector of the boating industry is booming.

I know it will always be difficult to cater for the masses, but please lets see a good magazine become better. And not surcome to the wims of the Editor or his staff.

Regards