Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
tell me has it passed the mots with the mods done

are the emissions still ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr770a
Well guys, this is my second Disco, the first being 200 Tdi which I sold with 100,000 on the clock, all trouble free with nothing more than regular servicing, ok it clonked the trim squeaked, but it always stopped and started reliably. The Disco 2 is a vast improvment and with the mods mentioned earlier (van aaken chip,k&N panel filter,,egr valve closed and centre box removal and replaced with straight thro section) it is stunning. The sound is like nothing else ( pleasantly louder) and performance excellent. Fuel is about 25-32 mpg, cornering with A.C.E is done with no body roll. I have had nothing but 100% reliability so what can I say. my father had a Daihatsu...awful,my friend had the awfull non starting Honda and a work colleague had a fall apart shogun. I'm happy and do not want to change to any thing else. They all purchased Disco's now and are also happy !!!
Old 21 May 2006, 19:50   #42

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I wouldn't be driving at 16
My apologies - you're at uni at Nottingham, not Portsmouth!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 19:53   #43

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
the reason we switched to landies was a cheap car for the mrs to crash around, so got a 200tdi, the sunroofs leaked and condensated and dripped on your head, steering box went, welded in bits of new floor, new carpets, new seats, so on and so on, most bits were from the landrover jumbles, did not have aircon and was a killer in the summer so as she had not crashed it we got a 300 tdi with aircon. steering box leaked, bearing in the front timing case cover went, and a couple of other bits and bobs, oh yes and the stupid auto box would overheat on long runs with big loads on hills so sold it on. then we went to a td5 es, two years old, needed heater matrix for drivers seat, two new microswitches in the gearbox, new steering box again!, and now the oil loomy problem, which fingers crossed i seem to have fixed

the 200 and 300 cost next to nothing to repair and get spares for and i sold them for what i purchased them for
td5 will lose a bit of money but have had it years and generally it is very good and has every extra fitted

landys are generally cheap to run and cheap for spares, and dont lose their money too much

the td5 is great but needs another 60 bhp, if i had fitted a larger intercooler and chipped it i would get 200 bhp and it would be great then but not done that
on taking the head rocker cover off the engine is pristine inside

so all in all we are pleased with it

had a mitsu shogun 3.5 before the landies and that was always in the incompetant dealers

if ever you have a lady problem call safari engineering and they are superb, nothing they dont know so i go there, glean advice and knowledge and then come home and fix the damn things

joy o joy!!!!!
Old 21 May 2006, 20:14   #44

Town: Shieldhill
Boat name: Concorde
Make: Southern Pacific 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 Mercury Big Foot
Land rover TD5 tuning

Hi Hugh, Yes, it went straight thro' the MOT, only 1 month ago, emissions were a little higher, but still under one, performance is miles better, according to van Aaken it should be putting out about 175-180bhp. Well worth every penny.
Old 21 May 2006, 20:25   #45
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
I blanked the EGR on my L200 and it worked wonders, a pal did his 300tdi Disco and reckoned if anything it lost performance.
Old 21 May 2006, 20:33   #46

egr

Hi Alice, I did mine step by step and you are right, performance just got better.
Old 21 May 2006, 20:55   #47

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Yes I run some foriegn muck just went over 50k on sat since I had her, replaced glow plugs, a battery and a small rubber mount that stops the transfeer case rattling 02 l200, Jap and only Jap for me

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 20:59   #48
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Yes I run some foriegn muck just went over 50k on sat since I had her, replaced glow plugs, a battery and a small rubber mount that stops the transfeer case rattling 02 l200, Jap and only Jap for me
Hows the ride quality? Thought for a moment I was going to have to say cart springs
Old 21 May 2006, 21:07   #49

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
When you have a rib behind you or a heavy load, you will appreciate leaf springs, ride quality is fine, passengers sit a little high and not so much rear leg room for em

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 21:34   #50
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
When you have a rib behind you or a heavy load, you will appreciate leaf springs, ride quality is fine, passengers sit a little high and not so much rear leg room for em

You like leafsprings?! Mine are horrible on my frontera. They are really nice on the road but if you're towing across rough ground they give the trailer a load more abuse than coilovers do.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 21:47   #51

personally i prefer air suspension better than all the rest for towing
Old 22 May 2006, 01:09   #52

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Carts have leaf springs.....
Old 22 May 2006, 05:00   #53
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon

I was talking to the guy contracted to the RAC for recovery after my frontera split a hose a few weeks back. His company are contracted by the police to collect motorway smashes too.

He said he'd picked up far more Discos with air suspension that had towing accidents than anything else having towing accidents.

He thought that once you got into a weave then the continuous attempts at suspension compensation for the weight change during the weave actually accentuated the weaving. I can see why he thought that but is the air compensation that quick?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 06:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
Until they go bang! Had both go within minutes of each other on 5 series Touring we had. It was dragging it's arse so badly the AA struggled to get it on the recovery truck.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:04   #55

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
I was talking to the guy contracted to the RAC for recovery after my frontera split a hose a few weeks back. His company are contracted by the police to collect motorway smashes too.

He said he'd picked up far more Discos with air suspension that had towing accidents than anything else having towing accidents.

He thought that once you got into a weave then the continuous attempts at suspension compensation for the weight change during the weave actually accentuated the weaving. I can see why he thought that but is the air compensation that quick?
Nos, I agree that that air suspension on D2 TD5 models is not quick at compensating. However I would say that a lot of 'weave' is caused by inncorrct loading. Unfortunately the combination of the two does lead to Sally traffic giving the bad news!!!!! The airsuspension on a D3 however is totally ahead of it's time. Totally re-vamped with cross link valves to each corner giving accurate monitering of what the suspension is doing. But then you throw the 'human element' in to the mix

It's time that IMHO a form of towing training was made compulsory. We get people come to do a course and they haven't got a clue. You think about what you are taught when you did your HGV about axle weights and load distribution. The same goes but on a smaller scale, but the consiquences of getting it wrong are just the same
Old 22 May 2006, 07:17   #56

i cant see how the air suspension could cause an accident because the pump acts quite slowly, in fact very slowly

however air suspension can allow you to seriously load up the back of the car and it will still run at the correct level. so perhaps people had their trailers incorrectly loaded

i know the car handles a lot better than without it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2

Old 22 May 2006, 07:34   #57

towing

I have no problems wit hmy Td5 towing, be it my boat or my van, just as long as you know how to load everything correctly, with the correct noseweight, driving at the right speed, must of done 30,000 + miles towing without any hassle. The Td 5 again is the best.
Old 22 May 2006, 08:10   #58

My Ol'Man was, and still is, a keen caravaner. He always reckoned that the loading of the van was crucial and he'd take great care to distribute it evenly over the axle. We would then blat off up the A30, the Morris Oxford Shootingbrake with a Sprite Muskateer on the back. He'd have her up to 80 at times, slowing down for bends was often a bit of a problem.
Old 22 May 2006, 08:17   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Carts have leaf springs.....
It's a COMMERCIAL vehicle. Not a car or a poncy 4WD kid delivery carriage, I'm not bothered if the springs are made of Willow and Ash . The best bit is, it only cost me £170 to tax it last week.
Old 22 May 2006, 12:54   #60

back on thread topic i have ordered up a new loom, for the engine harness and the injector harness they both come to 250 quid but managed to get 15% discount off this so when they arrive will fit them. Landy wanted 4 hours labour to fit the new looms which equates to lots of £££££££££, 630 all in to be precise so will do the work myself.

will be selling the landy this summer so want it to be perfect for towing and then