Old 05 September 2005, 10:52   #31

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
....People seem to forget that the 2 cities that were taken out with nuclear bombs are once again thriving - of course according to some people the place wouldn't be inhabitable for 2000 years.....
I really, really can't believe you said that.

Old 05 September 2005, 10:59   #32

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
I'm no expert on nuclear power, but two issues worry me, first, terrorism, and what they could cause if they so wished.

But more importantly, nuclear waste, WTF do we do with it? it seems to be a subject that gets swept under the table (like the N-Waste itself I expect)

It's lethal for decades, or more (don't know details) and if we go full nuclear, there'll be fkkn loads of it to deal with....nice
Hey they would just build them in Scotland, after all we've got Hunterson Power, Dounrey, All the bloody Nukes in our hills, all the subs in our Lochs and all the scrap ones at Rosyth!!!!
Andy

Old 05 September 2005, 11:03   #33

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Hey they would just build them in Scotland, after all we've got Hunterson Power, Dounrey, All the bloody Nukes in our hills, all the subs in our Lochs and all the scrap ones at Rosyth!!!!
Andy
"One volunteer is worth a hundred pressed men".... Cheers... let's hear it for the Scots!
Old 05 September 2005, 11:33   #34

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I really, really can't believe you said that.
WHY - it happens to be a fact!!!!

Those 2 cities suffered no more - and no less - than plenty of other poor buggers - Tokyo had just as many dead after a massive firebomb raid - nobody seems to remember them!!!
Old 05 September 2005, 11:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Andy
Still better than covering all your stunning mountains with windfarms and pylons.

And NO I am NOT a Nimby - I would far rather see a Nuclear powerstation being built in somewhere like Port Talbot(which is a dump) than on the mountains behind!!!
Old 05 September 2005, 14:52   #36

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I'm not a big fan of nuclear, primarily due to the issue of the waste. The stuff will be around for thousands of years, and NOBODY wants in their backyard. transportationof if is a huge problem as well.

If I could afford the initial investment, I'd re-roof my house in photovoltaic cells, and on net put power INTO the grid. I'd love to see my electric meter spin backwards!! IIRC, it would have cost me ~$60,000 USD when I looked into it a few years ago, less god knows how much back in initial rebates from the power company. There are a few houses in my neighborhood that have solar hot water and/or heat.
Old 05 September 2005, 15:19   #37

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
The thing is, would you rather the waste be stored somewhere safe in a container underground for many years, or would you prefer to continue to see clouds of smoke going into the atmosphere which could potentially harm the planet for a lot longer?

I was the only one on the energy resources course at college to be in support of nuclear energy. I agree that terrorism is a large threat these days, but surely any nuclear station built from now onwards would be built sufficiently to take on threats?
The larger nuclear stations can provide a significantly larger amount of energy than equivalent size fossil fuel burners, and better still, they don't pollute the atmosphere helping to upset the climate.

Nuclear fusion is the way forward without doubt - it's just a shame it's still a short while off before becoming a useable source of energy

-Alex
Old 05 September 2005, 16:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
I'm not a big fan of nuclear, primarily due to the issue of the waste. The stuff will be around for thousands of years, and NOBODY wants in their backyard. transportationof if is a huge problem as well.

If I could afford the initial investment, I'd re-roof my house in photovoltaic cells, and on net put power INTO the grid. I'd love to see my electric meter spin backwards!! IIRC, it would have cost me ~$60,000 USD when I looked into it a few years ago, less god knows how much back in initial rebates from the power company. There are a few houses in my neighborhood that have solar hot water and/or heat.
Don't you realise the ONLY way these crackpot "alternative" schemes work is because of so called "rebates" - solar and wind are just NOT economically viable!!!

A school near me has had it's roof covered in solar cells - it will take over 100yrs to recover the cost - madness given the cells won't last that long!!!
Old 05 September 2005, 17:57   #39

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I refuse to be drawn on this one.....
Wales would be the ideal depository for ALL waste- all those deep coal mines
you could drop it in,one dark night ( together with a bevy of Welsh politicans - kinnock springs to mind - what a useless git!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Nobody would ever know... In fact Codders , you could take all the world's waste and not know the difference....

more important: price of petrol ( gas) euro 95 today

1. Belgium 1.33 to 1.45 euros/liter
2. France 1.35 to 1.39
3. Lux. 1.18
4. Belgium LPG 0.389 euros /liter/ france 0.559
5. Diesel 1.08 to 1.14 across the board

1 euro= 0.67 pounds stirling
1.25 us$= 1 euro/ 3.80 liters=1 us gallon

So Dtucker - you are still better off than us!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan
Old 05 September 2005, 18:03   #40

Remarkable coincidence but today an official long term report into cernobyl has just been released.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4216102.stm

It concludes it is the worst disaster of it's kind - in total 4,000 deaths - considerably less than first feared.

"Dr. Burton Bennett, chairman of the Chernobyl Forum and an authority on radiation effects, said:
Bennett continued: "This was a very serious accident with major health consequences, especially for thousands of workers exposed in the early days who received very high radiation doses, and for the thousands more stricken with thyroid cancer.
"By and large, however, we have not found profound negative health impacts to the rest of the population in surrounding areas, nor have we found widespread contamination that would continue to pose a substantial threat to human health, within a few exceptional, restricted areas"

As a contrast the London Smog of 1952(there were loads of others) killed 12,000!!!!!!

http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk/st...reatsmog52.htm