Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 May 2017, 16:04   #1
Member
 
Solent Seadog's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31
Puppy Training

Advice needed please from dog owners.

Hopefully the conditions are looking great this weekend. So considering going out for a gentle run for the first time with our young pup. Just inshore to begin with before he can find his sea legs.

I'm sourcing a doggy life jacket but any other relevant tips would be useful.

Cheers, Steve
__________________

__________________
Solent Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 18:19   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,369
I think a lot depends on the dog, our black lab has been in the boat since she was about 6 months. We initially bought a doggy life jacket but she didn't get along with it.
She loves the water but doesn't like to jump in, she prefers to walk in gradually which is good as she won't jump off the boat.If we're staying away in the hard boat on a mooring she has to go in the dinghy for walks and she's happy to jump in the little rib tender then jump out onto the beach but only once she can see its shallow.
Of we're out in the rib she gets herself in front of the console and sits with paws on the bow tubes watching where she's going like a figurehead. we couldn't ask for a better dog for boating as she loves to swim and run on the beach & she never gets seasick either
Only problem is the hairs they get everywhere
If we're out and it's rough she will crawl behind my legs at the helm and just lie down
We never really needed to train her to do anything boating specific she just gets on with it
__________________

__________________
beamishken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 00:20   #3
Member
 
Solent Seadog's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31
Thanks Ken, I guess if your dog takes to the water then you're half way there. We've yet to discover this but I'm looking to start him at an early age to overcome any anxiety. Fortunately our pup won't be shedding so we shouldn't have that kind of cleanup trouble you have onboard. I'd imagine the life jacket for us will be useful at his age/size as we'll be able to use the pickup handle when transporting him on/off the rib.

Does your lab travel well anyway, say in the car? By the sounds of it now you don't need to tie her down in the hard boat/dingy but did you to begin with? I'm wondering if this is safe to do so, though probably much safer than a semi-frantic pet running around the deck and on the tubes.

Hopefully with a gradual introduction and a lot of treats I can get him to be one of the crew.
__________________
Solent Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:21   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,397
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I think a lot depends on the dog, our black lab has been in the boat since she was about 6 months. We initially bought a doggy life jacket but she didn't get along with it.
She loves the water but doesn't like to jump in, she prefers to walk in gradually which is good as she won't jump off the boat.If we're staying away in the hard boat on a mooring she has to go in the dinghy for walks and she's happy to jump in the little rib tender then jump out onto the beach but only once she can see its shallow.
Of we're out in the rib she gets herself in front of the console and sits with paws on the bow tubes watching where she's going like a figurehead. we couldn't ask for a better dog for boating as she loves to swim and run on the beach & she never gets seasick either
Only problem is the hairs they get everywhere
If we're out and it's rough she will crawl behind my legs at the helm and just lie down
We never really needed to train her to do anything boating specific she just gets on with it


Our black lab was exactly the same as that, even down to the hair. We lost him last year at 13yrs old & I'm still finding dog hair in the bilge pump, breaks my heart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	brook.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	119614
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:32   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog View Post
Thanks Ken, I guess if your dog takes to the water then you're half way there. We've yet to discover this but I'm looking to start him at an early age to overcome any anxiety. Fortunately our pup won't be shedding so we shouldn't have that kind of cleanup trouble you have onboard. I'd imagine the life jacket for us will be useful at his age/size as we'll be able to use the pickup handle when transporting him on/off the rib.

Does your lab travel well anyway, say in the car? By the sounds of it now you don't need to tie her down in the hard boat/dingy but did you to begin with? I'm wondering if this is safe to do so, though probably much safer than a semi-frantic pet running around the deck and on the tubes.

Hopefully with a gradual introduction and a lot of treats I can get him to be one of the crew.
I ours has been good in the car from day one so no travel problems
Maybe getting used to the water first will help, ours was on the beach several times a week when she was young
She never got frantic she would just snuggle up for reassurance if not happy
There are times she gets excited and looks like she's going to jump over the bow but so far hasn't and her claws haven't marked the tubes
__________________
beamishken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:39   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Our black lab was exactly the same as that, even down to the hair. We lost him last year at 13yrs old & I'm still finding dog hair in the bilge pump, breaks my heart.
Attachment 119614
Losing a dog is probably the worst bit of dog ownership
Ours is 5 now and we're already dreading the day
__________________
beamishken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:50   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,397
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Losing a dog is probably the worst bit of dog ownership
Ours is 5 now and we're already dreading the day


It's nearly a year now & the missus is still struggling
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:57   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's nearly a year now & the missus is still struggling
We had a baby last year and Ollie and roxy(dog) are joined at the hip he's going to be distraught when she goes as likely he'll be around 5-7 wherever you find him she's usually not far away
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_142406.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	119615
__________________
beamishken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:36   #9
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 602
My dog loves the water and will swim 800m across our local lake. Kayaking and canoes seem to be her ultimate in fun but a trip out in the boat is tough going on her. The fact it can be hard for dogs to get there balance when the boat is moving at speed even in calm water has her claws trying to grip into anything she can ( normally my legs ).

Smaller dogs seem to cope better with balance and speed, my advice is to just go very slow at first.
__________________
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:39   #10
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Puppy Training

Ours is 13 now and just doesn't enjoy the unstable platform. Even when younger, he used to curl up on his bed at the back and just go to sleep! Hard deck, especially when wet isn't the best for a dog, get some matting down so they can grip.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.