Old 23 May 2017, 21:04   #1

Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Puppy Training

Advice needed please from dog owners.

Hopefully the conditions are looking great this weekend. So considering going out for a gentle run for the first time with our young pup. Just inshore to begin with before he can find his sea legs.

I'm sourcing a doggy life jacket but any other relevant tips would be useful.

Cheers, Steve
Old 23 May 2017, 23:19   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I think a lot depends on the dog, our black lab has been in the boat since she was about 6 months. We initially bought a doggy life jacket but she didn't get along with it.
She loves the water but doesn't like to jump in, she prefers to walk in gradually which is good as she won't jump off the boat.If we're staying away in the hard boat on a mooring she has to go in the dinghy for walks and she's happy to jump in the little rib tender then jump out onto the beach but only once she can see its shallow.
Of we're out in the rib she gets herself in front of the console and sits with paws on the bow tubes watching where she's going like a figurehead. we couldn't ask for a better dog for boating as she loves to swim and run on the beach & she never gets seasick either
Only problem is the hairs they get everywhere
If we're out and it's rough she will crawl behind my legs at the helm and just lie down
We never really needed to train her to do anything boating specific she just gets on with it
Old 24 May 2017, 05:20   #3

Thanks Ken, I guess if your dog takes to the water then you're half way there. We've yet to discover this but I'm looking to start him at an early age to overcome any anxiety. Fortunately our pup won't be shedding so we shouldn't have that kind of cleanup trouble you have onboard. I'd imagine the life jacket for us will be useful at his age/size as we'll be able to use the pickup handle when transporting him on/off the rib.

Does your lab travel well anyway, say in the car? By the sounds of it now you don't need to tie her down in the hard boat/dingy but did you to begin with? I'm wondering if this is safe to do so, though probably much safer than a semi-frantic pet running around the deck and on the tubes.

Hopefully with a gradual introduction and a lot of treats I can get him to be one of the crew.
Old 24 May 2017, 07:21   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I think a lot depends on the dog, our black lab has been in the boat since she was about 6 months. We initially bought a doggy life jacket but she didn't get along with it.
She loves the water but doesn't like to jump in, she prefers to walk in gradually which is good as she won't jump off the boat.If we're staying away in the hard boat on a mooring she has to go in the dinghy for walks and she's happy to jump in the little rib tender then jump out onto the beach but only once she can see its shallow.
Of we're out in the rib she gets herself in front of the console and sits with paws on the bow tubes watching where she's going like a figurehead. we couldn't ask for a better dog for boating as she loves to swim and run on the beach & she never gets seasick either
Only problem is the hairs they get everywhere
If we're out and it's rough she will crawl behind my legs at the helm and just lie down
We never really needed to train her to do anything boating specific she just gets on with it

Our black lab was exactly the same as that, even down to the hair. We lost him last year at 13yrs old & I'm still finding dog hair in the bilge pump, breaks my heart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	brook.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	119614
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog View Post
Thanks Ken, I guess if your dog takes to the water then you're half way there. We've yet to discover this but I'm looking to start him at an early age to overcome any anxiety. Fortunately our pup won't be shedding so we shouldn't have that kind of cleanup trouble you have onboard. I'd imagine the life jacket for us will be useful at his age/size as we'll be able to use the pickup handle when transporting him on/off the rib.

Does your lab travel well anyway, say in the car? By the sounds of it now you don't need to tie her down in the hard boat/dingy but did you to begin with? I'm wondering if this is safe to do so, though probably much safer than a semi-frantic pet running around the deck and on the tubes.

Hopefully with a gradual introduction and a lot of treats I can get him to be one of the crew.
I ours has been good in the car from day one so no travel problems
Maybe getting used to the water first will help, ours was on the beach several times a week when she was young
She never got frantic she would just snuggle up for reassurance if not happy
There are times she gets excited and looks like she's going to jump over the bow but so far hasn't and her claws haven't marked the tubes
Old 24 May 2017, 07:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Our black lab was exactly the same as that, even down to the hair. We lost him last year at 13yrs old & I'm still finding dog hair in the bilge pump, breaks my heart.
Attachment 119614
Losing a dog is probably the worst bit of dog ownership
Ours is 5 now and we're already dreading the day
Old 24 May 2017, 07:50   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Losing a dog is probably the worst bit of dog ownership
Ours is 5 now and we're already dreading the day

It's nearly a year now & the missus is still struggling
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:57   #8

Quote:
We had a baby last year and Ollie and roxy(dog) are joined at the hip he's going to be distraught when she goes as likely he'll be around 5-7 wherever you find him she's usually not far away
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_142406.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	119615
Old 24 May 2017, 08:36   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
My dog loves the water and will swim 800m across our local lake. Kayaking and canoes seem to be her ultimate in fun but a trip out in the boat is tough going on her. The fact it can be hard for dogs to get there balance when the boat is moving at speed even in calm water has her claws trying to grip into anything she can ( normally my legs ).

Smaller dogs seem to cope better with balance and speed, my advice is to just go very slow at first.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:39   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Puppy Training

Ours is 13 now and just doesn't enjoy the unstable platform. Even when younger, he used to curl up on his bed at the back and just go to sleep! Hard deck, especially when wet isn't the best for a dog, get some matting down so they can grip.
Old 24 May 2017, 18:55   #11

Thanks guys all for your comments. Shame to learn about your black lab Dave but I'm sure you and your wife had 13 enjoyable years with him. I'm hoping we will, at least once we get past the teething stage! Your photo tells it all, he was having fun!!

We're hoping to get our pup used to beaches and the water but being the time of year and having limited access during summer months we might literally jump straight into the rib so it will be a whole new experience for the little fella. I'm going to try a couple of dry runs though before the weekend so that he can just sit in the rib on the trailer without the water, that way he can begin getting accustomed.

Good point Ken about claw marks on the tubes. I was a little concerned about this so will need to monitor the condition. For sure I'm going to take it slow at first, hence staying inshore, but that's a useful tip Paul about matting on the deck. Admittedly, if I were him, I wouldn't fancy curling up on the deck in the wash. I saw recently on here there was some black matting available so might look back for this.

I guess tying him to the kill switch isn't recommended, at least not until he's completed PB2!?!?
Old 16 August 2017, 16:51   #12

https://activecaptain.com/articles/dogs/canineCrew.php
Old 16 August 2017, 19:38   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Personally I don't think a RIB is any place for our four legged friends...they have no comprehension of how to cope with an unstable and pitching Boat even in mild conditions...in the rough it is tantamount to animal cruelty...
Sea States can and do change very quickly
What may start out as a Jolly Jape can soon become a very fraught frightening and dangerous place for a dog!

Even For Human crew with purpose made Seats-Ergo's Foot and Hand Holds ect...who CAN predict and brace against Waves and impacts,rolling pitching,other vessels Wakes ect ...injuries are FAR from Rare!

A Dog with scateing claws and Pads has little or no grip in a RIB (especially on a wet Deck)..and NO choice but to go where it's put by its owner ...and endure!...
He/she can soon incur serious injuries,or at the very least suffer premature wear and tear to joints/ligaments ect..and when things get "Busy" is just another problem for the Helm and Crew to worry about,which in the worst circumstances could even compromise thier safety.
They are just not designed for small water craft IMO...
If you think more of you're Dog than what suits you...leave him at Home... or on dry land with someone else.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 23:00   #14

Length: 3m +
Plenty of yachty types sail with dogs. Not as wet, but can still be rough (they are going cross oceans in some cases) and heel will be much worse.

In the *right boat* with the *right dog* and the *right conditions* it may not be all doom and gloom. But we all know of people who desperately hoped their kids or partner would love it... ...I suspect a dog is the same. Some will love it, others hate it.

But Maximus is right - you will need to think how it can be "seated" without sustaining injury and you also need to think about how you can protect it from the elements etc.

Doggie life jacket?

Don't forget the toileting issues...

Will having the dog on board make you a better more cautious driver... much like having a child on board.

If your idea of fun is to go out and wave jump with some jet ski buddies while following a fast cat out of a ferry port... ...doggie may not like it...
Old 17 August 2017, 01:26   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The recommendation by some trainers is that you need to get all the 'novel' experiences out of the way by 16 weeks if possible so they don't get freaked by it. Outboard noise is definitely in this category.

Mine came everywhere with me doing everything I do as soon as he was allowed out of the garden.
He's never been scared of anything past the first 'what on earth's that' reaction.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 07:08   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep our harry loves it first in the boat every time if it bothered him he wouldn't get in, i bought a waterproof dog bed for him to lay on, stops him sliding and cushions impact but of course i watch the weather and dont go out when it might bother him after all he's my best mate.plenty of water & treats happy days.
Old 17 August 2017, 12:53   #17

Town: Ft Worth
Boat name: Big Guy
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
My german shepherds go insane when they see the trailer getting connected to the boat. They absolutely love it, but I'm always at an inland lake and don't speed across the water. Start them young, dont force them and they'll enjoy spending time with you on the water,
Old 17 August 2017, 20:08   #18

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Then some bugger gets you a drawing done 😪
Old 18 August 2017, 12:19   #19

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Max Surfing Dog Many moons ago, my bosses Dog, had him trained NOT to get on a boat until he was wearing his life jacket, would sit on the pontoon waiting to have his jacket put on he was a natural in the water and never happier than in a boat or board